Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Lions Draft Picks

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
paul8539

Lions Draft Picks

Post by paul8539 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:04 pm

What are the Lions going to do with the number 2 spot this year? Draft Hutchinson, if available? Trade down for more draft picks? Pick someone else?

There has been a lot of discussion in the media by the know-it-alls who don't know it all. What about some of you guys who know more than the media know-it-alls? Where do you think it is going?

My thoughts: Wait until the number 1 pick clears on draft day. If it is not Hutchinson, then get him. If Hutch does go as number 1, take an offer to trade down for more picks. No top quarterbacks this year. Wait until next year for a decent QB.

moldyoldie

Re: Lions Draft Picks

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:15 am

My leanings at this point are to just get "players" who'll show up every week. :hat When Thibodeaux quit the combines, his stock dropped in my assessment -- not a Campbell kinda guy. His pro day is...today? Yesterday?

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:12 am

paul8539 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:04 pm
If [Hutchinson] does go as number 1, take an offer to trade down for more picks. No top quarterbacks this year. Wait until next year for a decent QB.
Any trade takes two to tango. I don't see anyone worth trading up for, not unless a team is really truly desperate for one of the not-so-highly rated QBs. As you suggest, all such teams might wait till next year, or else wait to see who drops to them.

Unlike a couple years ago when the consensus was the Lions would draft Okudah at #3 overall, this year the mock drafts are all over the map as to whom the Lions might take at #2. A couple mocks even suggest another offensive tackle (Ekwonu of NC State)! Now, that would be a real shock since our O-line is considered our strength and any O-lineman drafted would be a back-up on the depth chart. Decker and Sewel are entrenched on both ends of the O-line and the interior is solid with Jackson, Ragnow, and Vaitai. Nelson, Brown, and Kraemer did yeoman work as backups last season, though Stenberg has been something of a disappointment since being drafted in the fourth round a couple years ago. The Lions draft another tackle at #2? Not bloody likely!

I say there's a 95% chance they go defense at #2 overall (Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, Walker of Georgia, Johnson of Florida State, or even the big D-tackle Davis of Georgia). With the re-signing of Tracey Walker and bringing on free agent DeShon Elliott at safety, my guess is it takes Notre Dame's Kyle Hamilton off the board. If they draft another cornerback such as Gardner of Cincinnati or Stingley of LSU, the fans would be up in arms!

The remaining 5% chance would be they gird their loins and go QB at #2, most likely Willis who didn't impress me very much. I'm in the minority in liking Howell of NC best of the five most-mentioned QBs in this draft.

Picks #32 and #34 will be the most interesting since your guess is as good as mine; it'll all depend on what's still available. (Damn Stafford and the Rams had to go and win the Super Bowl! :evil: ) Taking a QB at #32 allows the team to get a first round fifth-year option, quite valuable if a QB pans out.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:56 pm

I think whoever the Jags don't pick Walker or Hutch those are the 2 that the Lions pick with number anyone but QB.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:38 am

I'm a tad ambivalent about trading so much draft capital to just get a speedy linear-route running WR coming off an ACL injury who in all probability won't be available to start the season. I recall a very early mock which had Jameson Williams to the Lions at #32. My guess is the Lions brain trust caught wind of the Eagles moving up to get him at #13, so GM Holmes went one better, dealing with the devil in division rival Vikings and moved up to #12. There was also a run of WRs at the time and Williams was one of the last of the upper-tier WR prospects available (Arkansas' Treylon Burks was also available and graded higher by some). Plus, there's the valuable 5th-year option to consider seeing that contracts for star WRs have skyrocketed in recent days. I do like that the Lions drafted talent over need. And I'm really glad they didn't reach for a QB! Hopefully, Holmes & Co. can find a couple defensive diamonds on Days 2 and 3, or maybe even a QB like Sam Howell.

Remember when we took Okudah and the talk was how rare it was that a CB be drafted so high? Well, the two top-rated CBs came off the board in quick succession at #3 and #4. I'm also surprised at how many interior O-linemen were first-rounders; I had never even heard of Cole Strange, Kenyon Green, and Zion Johnson!

- Sydney J. Harris

tigerwings

Post by tigerwings » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:59 pm

Do the Vikings take Willis with the Lions pick, and haunt the Lions for years?

Williams is too much of a gamble for a team with so many needs. Should have kept the picks and got 2 more day 1 starters.

Some don't recover from an ACL. He could be a superstar if he does.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:18 pm

I agree with you completely, tigerwings.

I did not like the decision. I think the Lions should've held onto their extra pick.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:44 pm

Not me....I think it was a great deal. They essentially moved up 20 slots in the first round for only a 3rd round pick.

The censorship king from out of state.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:38 pm

If that pick were used for someone else - i.e. a guy not coming off a bad injury - I would be more inclined to agree.

Williams' lack of muscle mass is also of some concern to me. The dude weighs 20 lbs less than the typical NFL wide out. Granted, he can and hopefully will put on some mass in the years ahead. Need a guy who can break a tackle. I do love his footwork, speed and judgment based on the footage I've watched.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:22 am

Paschal and Joseph were good Day 2 picks and there are several worthy LB and DB prospects still out there -- as is QB Sam Howell. I can't believe Howell would last to #177 (fifth round). With three remaining late picks, it wouldn't shock me to see the Lions go all defense or trade up to "get their guy", whoever it may be. I keep hearing they need a blocking TE, but do you draft one? It seems one is always available as a UDFA or on cut-down day; i.e., the scrap heap. It would be like drafting a long-snapper (...and Quinn doesn't live here anymore. :razz)

Big Day 2 surprise for me was seeing Purdue WR David Bell fall to the bottom of Round 3 (Browns); he was often mocked as a late first rounder to the Lions.
Last edited by moldyoldie on Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

- Sydney J. Harris

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:10 am

Honeyman wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:44 pm
Not me....I think it was a great deal. They essentially moved up 20 slots in the first round for only a 3rd round pick.
Moving up 20 spots is only as good as what you do with it.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:41 am

craig11152 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:10 am
Honeyman wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:44 pm
Moving up 20 spots is only as good as what you do with it.
100%. I should have added that Williams was considered by many the best WR in college before he got hurt. Hoping the Lions did their due diligence (always suspect) in regards to his injury. But if he's running 4.4's, it seems like he's healing fine. And they are not gonna contend next year. This pick is about 2023 and beyond when hopefully they could actually be considered in the playoff picture.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:41 pm

I'm not second guessing that pick because I'm not smart enough.
I just wonder if giving that sort of "weapon" to an arguably temporary QB rather than filling other needs makes sense.
I don't pretend to know what those more pressing needs might be but we weren't 3-13-1 because we were 2 defensive ends and a wide receiver from the playoffs.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:58 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:41 pm
I'm not second guessing that pick because I'm not smart enough.
I just wonder if giving that sort of "weapon" to an arguably temporary QB rather than filling other needs makes sense.
I don't pretend to know what those more pressing needs might be but we weren't 3-13-1 because we were 2 defensive ends and a wide receiver from the playoffs.
Judging by the 1st round of this draft and free agency, WR's are a hot commodity. This kid was the main reason the Tide won the 1st Bama-Georgia game last year. Lions think he can be a major addition. I agree that we need help in A LOT of areas, but getting a game changer at WR is a good start. It's not about next year, though Goff will have his chance to prove himself. Next off season, the QB options should be better, certainly draft wise.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:09 pm

Day 3 is looking good as the Lions traded down for more late picks, especially on defense with emphasis on the front seven. There's a tight end who slid to Day 3 with injury concerns (I guess Holmes & Co. really are looking a year ahead!) and a 25 year-old CB who I recall was earlier mocked in the second round thrown in for good measure. I'm liking it a lot...solid value city! :hat

Biggest Day 3 surprise for me: The Pats opted for Western Kentucky QB Bailey Zappe ahead of Sam Howell, who eventually landed with the Redsk...uh...Crusaders! Belichek's drafting this year has left more than a few folks confounded, myself included.

- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic