Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Jimmy Harbaugh fails in quest to get NFL head coaching job

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Honeyman

Jimmy Harbaugh fails in quest to get NFL head coaching job

Post by Honeyman » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:58 pm

Lotta internet buzz saying it's a done deal. Any of you Wolvies got any info?
Last edited by Honeyman on Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The censorship king from out of state.

Matt

Re: Jimmy Harbaugh to the Raiders?

Post by Matt » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:05 pm

Here's what I believe: Jim Harbaugh wants to stay at Michigan. To do this, he wants an institutional commitment to do what is necessary to be an elite program consistently. If he gets that, he stays. If not, he might leave, but that is not guaranteed.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:09 pm

Matt wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:05 pm
Here's what I believe: Jim Harbaugh wants to stay at Michigan. To do this, he wants an institutional commitment to do what is necessary to be an elite program consistently. If he gets that, he stays. If not, he might leave, but that is not guaranteed.
Could be a ploy for more $$ too. Timing couldn't be better for him. But there seems to be some substance to what I've been reading.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:24 pm

He's owed more money relative to what has been thrown around to other coaches, but that isn't his driving force. If he leaves it is a reflection that the university isn't serious about making a commitment to have an elite football program.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:10 pm

Matt wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:24 pm
If he leaves it is a reflection that the university isn't serious about making a commitment to have an elite football program.
Not necessarily. There could be many reasons.

1. $$$$

2. Wants to go pro and win a SB. Came close before.

3. Tired of the current job. He never was HC more than 3 years for a team prior to Michigan.

4. Going out successful. Got the OSU monkey off his back.

....or most likely

5. Knows he can't ever beat Mel

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:26 pm

Matt wrote:
. If he leaves it is a reflection that the university isn't serious about making a commitment to have an elite football program.
What does that commitment look like beyond what they are doing?
We have the largest stadium in North America. From what I read the facilities for practice, training etc are pretty too notch. Nothing much missing there. The quality of education is top tier. What things are missing from the institution?

I no longer directly engage trolls

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:33 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:26 pm
Matt wrote:
. If he leaves it is a reflection that the university isn't serious about making a commitment to have an elite football program.
What does that commitment look like beyond what they are doing?
We have the largest stadium in North America. From what I read the facilities for practice, training etc are pretty too notch. Nothing much missing there. The quality of education is top tier. What things are missing from the institution?
The institution is world class. It also, to this point, has not gone all in on what you need to be elite in football. There is a choice to be made...

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:32 pm

Again what does that look like? What do they need to do as an institution? It's serious question Matt. Give me some bullet points.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:47 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:32 pm
Again what does that look like? What do they need to do as an institution? It's serious question Matt. Give me some bullet points.
Michigan has a long way to go on NIL compensation for one. The university is behind the curve. This is believed to be the largest issue. I truly believe he's using his leverage to get the commitment to build a strong infrastructure so that Michigan is not behind the 8 ball in recruiting.

Harbaugh has been a thought leader on one-time transfers, but Michigan makes it ridiculously - some might say unnecessarily - difficult to transfer to Michigan. That is obviously a bigger issue than just football. Harbaugh would like to see changes made there, but that is not a deal breaker. This is probably an issue where changes could benefit any student that wants to transfer to U-M.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:46 pm

Thinking big picture, Jimmy would be smart to leave. Their success this year kept him (and frankly the entire school) out of the spotlight with respect to the institutionalized cover up of the largest known serial sexual abuse scandal in this country’s history.

He leaves and he can quietly slip away from any scrutiny. I think that winning afforded UM a bunch of breathing room. I don’t expect them to be able to avoid the scrutiny during “OT season” this year, and frankly their basketball team struggling may expedite it.

I think he's gone.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:53 pm

The larger question remains: If he goes, who comes in after him?

Are we gonna get another "Michigan Man" who is given a skelton key? Who is out there that could take this program to the next level?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:51 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:53 pm

Are we gonna get another "Michigan Man" who is given a skelton key? Who is out there that could take this program to the next level?
Again, Coach Harbaugh is a "Michigan Man" advocating against standard protocol. If he can't advocate for changes, who can?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:54 pm

I think Hassan Haskins declaring for the draft makes this a very real possibility. It makes sense for Jim to leave with a high stock.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:28 pm

Matt wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:51 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:53 pm

Again, Coach Harbaugh is a "Michigan Man" advocating against standard protocol. If he can't advocate for changes, who can?
Let’s find somebody who can’t spell Michigan but is willing to learn and can win like hell. Him getting out of dodge would say a lot for how repeatable he thinks this year really is.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:13 am

Matt wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:47 pm
Michigan has a long way to go on NIL compensation for one. The university is behind the curve. This is believed to be the largest issue. I truly believe he's using his leverage to get the commitment to build a strong infrastructure so that Michigan is not behind the 8 ball in recruiting.
I confess I wasn't too up on how the NIL can work with respect to an institutions roll. But I have done a little reading and I see your point.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic