Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Mel to sign extension with MSU

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Honeyman

Mel to sign extension with MSU

Post by Honeyman » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:53 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rumor-mel- ... 43259.html

Will Harbaugh take another pay cut after he loses to OSU again?

The censorship king from out of state.

Matt

Re: Mel to sign extension with MSU

Post by Matt » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:26 am

Mel Tucker's posturing to get a bigger pay day from LSU has NOTHING to do with Michigan. Little brother complex is alive and well though.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:17 am

The Freep is reporting it's for ten years! :eek Mostly funded through a couple of billionaire alumni.

Yes, even I ( :mrgreen: ) must look askance upon that.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:31 am

moldyoldie wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:17 am
The Freep is reporting it's for ten years! :eek Mostly funded through a couple of billionaire alumni.

Yes, even I ( :mrgreen: ) must look askance upon that.
You look at that, and it makes you wonder how much private money is being funneled into college programs through the new name, image and likeness (NIL) guidelines.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:05 am

Well, I think it's great. Rumors were out there LSU was offering him (now Lincoln Riley) similar $. MSU knew they would have to step up to keep him and they are. Is he overpaid considering his track record? Absolutely. But this is the current climate of college athletics and I'm glad MSU is willing to pay and play with the big boys. I suffered thru the Muddy Waters, Booby Williams, John L. years. I'm happy to support a school that is obviously serious about our football program.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:36 pm

This has Charlie Weis written all over it - I'm not saying that this will go the same way, but it seems a bit strange based on really one partial season. Tucker took advantage of covid transfer rules (completely legal btw) and found a gem in Walker. Does it strike you as odd that the numbers are out before a contract is signed?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:46 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:36 pm
This has Charlie Weis written all over it - I'm not saying that this will go the same way, but it seems a bit strange based on really one partial season. Tucker took advantage of covid transfer rules (completely legal btw) and found a gem in Walker. Does it strike you as odd that the numbers are out before a contract is signed?
When I posted the Yahoo article a week ago (no longer available) it was 5 years....now freep is saying 10. I guess we will see what the real numbers are eventually.

I think what Mel has done with this team is amazing. Everybody picked us last in the BTE. I thought we'd win 4 games. Somehow, he has us in the playoff hunt, despite a horrible secondary.

Wake Forest didn't even start Walker, and nobody else saw anything in this guy but MSU. Is that just luck or an eye for talent?

The 2022 recruiting class is shaping up as our best ever. I think Tucker has the right attitude and personality to be very successful. We can bump this thread next November, 3 years from now, whenever. Time will tell.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:12 pm

It seems odd that there is so much media attention on a contract that isn't signed.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/02/16/m ... e-football

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:12 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:12 pm
It seems odd that there is so much media attention on a contract that isn't signed.

Why...it's a gamechanger.

“I think one of the most single most important attributes that Mel has is that players wants to play for him. They enjoy being around him.”

“They enjoy being around him. His energy and enthusiasm gets everyone up around him. I think it’s sometimes overlooked, but the enthusiasm and passion for the game is what gets players who want to play for you,” Nick Saban said of his former assistant.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:34 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:12 pm
Matt wrote:

“I think one of the most single most important attributes that Mel has is that players wants to play for him. They enjoy being around him.”

“They enjoy being around him. His energy and enthusiasm gets everyone up around him. I think it’s sometimes overlooked, but the enthusiasm and passion for the game is what gets players who want to play for you,” Nick Saban said of his former assistant.
Brady Hoke once went 11-2 and was wildly popular with players, but that didn't make him a high level FBS coach.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:23 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:34 pm
Honeyman wrote:
Matt wrote:

Brady Hoke once went 11-2 and was wildly popular with players, but that didn't make him a high level FBS coach.
Different teams, different people, different times.

Color me shocked you are thinking this is a bad move for MSU.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:57 pm

I have always said that MSU is a great job and isn't a stepping stone job and I'm glad that Mel sees that.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:55 am

Honeyman wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:23 pm
Matt wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:34 pm
Honeyman wrote:
Matt wrote:

Different teams, different people, different times.

Color me shocked you are thinking this is a bad move for MSU.
I haven't said it's a bad move, but there simply isn't enough data that he's worth it. Also, it seems like negotiations are ongoing as the contract has not been signed. Couple that with the fact that he lied about staying at Colorado THE DAY he agreed to terms with State, and it is pretty clear what is happening here: State is leaking details publicly to either a) put Tucker in a spot where he feels coerced to sign, or b) put out what the budget could be for someone new because they know #TuckLeavin.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:59 am

It's a 100 million dollar deal. I am sure there are quite a few details to be worked out here. These transactions take a little longer than you buying a box of tampons for your period.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:43 am

Honeyman wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:59 am
It's a 100 million dollar deal. I am sure there are quite a few details to be worked out here. These transactions take a little longer than you buying a box of tampons for your period.
The joke is on you. I'll soon be able to get those supplies for free in ANY bathroom: https://www.npr.org/2021/11/18/10569647 ... l-products

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic