Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Pistons 2021/22

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: Detroit Pistons 2021/22

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:25 pm

It's really hard to get motivated in watching the NBA because of the lack of defense any time I do watch, the Pistons are no exception. If my former college classmate wasn't the GM of the Bucks, I would totally check out.
Last edited by MotorCityRadioFreak on Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:07 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:50 pm
As for Dwane Casey (there is no "y" in his first name, I've finally learned), he still stinks. His coaching prowess was on full display when the Wizards outscored the Pistons in an 18-0 run in the 4th quarter of a recent game, a game that the Pistons wound up losing by a few points. He sat Cunningham, Bey and Grant for too long.
I'm not privy to the game or the circumstances, but it sounds like a case of 4th quarter foul trouble.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:34 pm

...because sitting them on the bench for an extended period and watching your big lead vanish is such a better option!

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:20 am

Last night's win against the Sixers was one of the most exciting and entertaining games of the season -- talk about a team win! :D Dee-fense, baby!

Recent acquisition Marvin Bagley III has been looking more and more like a "keeper". Unfortunately, he sustained what looked like a severe hip pointer last night and may be suspect the rest of the season. We've already lost #1 scorer Jeremi Grant and Hamidou Diallo.
Killian Hayes is dynamite off the bench, averaging over ten points a game since being relegated to bench duty and he's been a demon on defense!

Let's see how they respond in tonight's second of back-to-back games.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:15 am

Hayes had a really good game last night. I'm not convinced his performance is something more than an aberration. Even mediocre players have great games once in a while.

Grant is a ball hog. I do not miss him at all.

Bagley's performance has been a pleasant surprise; I agree.

I want the Pistons to compete, but I don't want them winning many more games at this point. I say give the bench players plenty of minutes, especially the young guys.

Let's not forget, either, that OKC was missing nine or ten (!!!) players due to injury, including most of their normal starting rotation. They are more banged up than the Pistons are. The Pistons essentially faced a G-league quality team.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:09 pm

Man, the Pistons coaches are trying to lose games by resting or scratching key players (to preserve lottery standing), but darn it - it ain't working!

Saddiq Bey scored 31 points in just 22 minutes of playing time. No Cunningham, no Grant, no Joseph, no Bagley - yet they win another game on the road.

Looking at the upcoming schedule, today may prove to be their final win of the year.

Las Vegas had the over / under on season victories at 24 right before the season began. Oddsmakers did a great job, I must say!

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:57 am

It doesn't make sense to lose games. A team has to learn to win, especially when there is no guarantee that their draft pick is going to be any better.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:19 am

I doubt it is sheer coincidence that numerous key players are "injured" or healthy scratches. The coaching staff is giving two way and 10 day contract players extended minutes, in part to foster their development and to gauge their abilities. It's a great idea. Such players can and should be playing hard.

Victories are not the primary objective right now. If they were, Bey would've received far more minutes yesterday.

The Pistons have multiple guys in their farm system who appear capable of contributing meaningful NBA minutes. That is certainly good news for the future and may also prove useful in future trades.

I hope they deal Grant in the off season. He is a ball hog whose continued presence (he's been out due to injury the past few games) will stifle the development of the young talent.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:43 pm

The Pistons hitting on all cylinders ( :razz ) so late in the season when all is lost seems to be the team's modus operandi in recent years. :rolleyes

Depending on who they land or are targeting in the draft, the trade of Grant may be a foregone conclusion. Whether or not you think he's a ball hog, every team needs a "scorer" -- he is ours...for now. I can easily see Cunningham taking that role.

- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:28 am

Saddiq Bey isn't a scorer? He plays team basketball much better than Grant, and he's very young to boot.

Pistons lost 10 of 11 to finish last season, so not sure I agree with your first remark. That worked out great, I might add. We wound up with the #1 pick.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:47 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:28 am
Saddiq Bey isn't a scorer? He plays team basketball much better than Grant, and he's very young to boot.

Pistons lost 10 of 11 to finish last season, so not sure I agree with your first remark. That worked out great, I might add. We wound up with the #1 pick.
The #1 pick you were shitting on early in the season...

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:14 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:28 am

They may have lost, but I recall them playing good basketball with their young future core of Bey, Stewart, Hayes, Lee; et al. garnering large minutes as the season wore down. Griffin was gone and veterans like Plumlee mostly rode the bench in favor of youth. Just like this season, no one was expecting a winning team.

Bey needs to be more consistent to be the team's "scorer". I see a "scorer" as a go-to guy who can get a basket on his own by hook or crook. He must be able to do it by sheer will with the basketball in his hands and the game on the line. I'm seeing that lately in Cunningham and Grant has been doing it since he's been here. Bey can certainly become that guy with more consistency. A "scorer" usually leads his team in free throw attempts as he's more than willing to drive the lane or go hard to the rim putting his body on the line. I distinguish a "scorer" from merely a "shooter".

- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:51 pm

Kudos for the very thoughtful and persuasive post.

I agree that Bey's game needs to develop more. There are many nights where his 3P percentage stinks. Every once in a while, he'll be on fire from long range, but his sub 30% nights far outnumber his 50%+ nights from deep.

Grant would be a great player if he simply distributed the basketball more often. He keeps heaving up shots early in possessions, and that bothers me. Steph Curry is about the only player who should be doing that.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:10 am

This is why people don't trust the media:
The Detroit Pistons have run their postseason winless streak to 14 years, but hope is bountiful and the vibes are improving, thanks to the rise of rookie sensation Cade Cunningham.
They were in the playoffs three years ago, although it is true they haven't won a playoff game since the aughts - they simply haven't had many opportunities.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:56 pm

While the passage quoted is much too syrupy for my taste, I do agree with the notion that there is optimism regarding the future.

Whether they made the playoffs and got swept or failed to make the playoffs entirely, the bottom line is the team has sucked ass for nearly all of the past 14 years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic