Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Raiders WR Henry Ruggs drives drunk at 156 MPH and kills someone

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Mega Hertz

Re: Raiders WR Henry Ruggs drives drunk at 156 MPH and kills someone

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:27 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:02 am
Not that its directly relevant but some reports say the deceased woman was heard screaming in her burning car before she died.
Her dog died in the car too. That's enough for me to burn the guy at the stake.
Fuck. I wish I hadn't read that 😔

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:22 am

Henry Ruggs should get jail time could face up to 46 years in jail I think it will be 10 to 15 years just my opinion. Ruggs should've called a cab.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:18 am

MasterB wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:22 am
Henry Ruggs should get jail time could face up to 46 years in jail I think it will be 10 to 15 years just my opinion. Ruggs should've called a cab.
It's literally the easiest phone call to make. Call a cab. Call an Uber. Ask the bartender to make the call. Call a friend. I'm hard pressed to think of anyone you could call who wouldn't come pick you up. And that a woman and her dog lost their lives hurts even more.

-TurkeyTop

MichMash

Post by MichMash » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:59 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:18 am
MasterB wrote:
It's literally the easiest phone call to make. Call a cab. Call an Uber. Ask the bartender to make the call. Call a friend. I'm hard pressed to think of anyone you could call who wouldn't come pick you up. And that a woman and her dog lost their lives hurts even more.
The NFL has had a ride-share app available to current and retired players since 2013, and the NFLPA has had an agreement with Lyft since 2017 to provide car service for players. So, the options have been there. The problem, really, is Ruggs was just a 22-year-old idiot with money, time, a hot car and a girlfriend he was trying to impress.

Ruggs could have reasonably played in the NFL for the next 5-7 years, made some good coin and been set for life by the time he hit 30. But now, those years will instead be spent in court and in jail. Life, as he probably expected it to be, is essentially over. To paraphrase the teacher from "The Breakfast Club," go see Henry Ruggs in 10 years and see how friggin' funny he is.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:20 pm

MichMash wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:59 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:18 am
MasterB wrote:
The NFL has had a ride-share app available to current and retired players since 2013, and the NFLPA has had an agreement with Lyft since 2017 to provide car service for players. So, the options have been there. The problem, really, is Ruggs was just a 22-year-old idiot with money, time, a hot car and a girlfriend he was trying to impress.

Ruggs could have reasonably played in the NFL for the next 5-7 years, made some good coin and been set for life by the time he hit 30. But now, those years will instead be spent in court and in jail. Life, as he probably expected it to be, is essentially over. To paraphrase the teacher from "The Breakfast Club," go see Henry Ruggs in 10 years and see how friggin' funny he is.
Isn't that what it always comes down to, though? I'm young. I'm shit hot. I have money and I'm an NFL star. Nothing bad can happen to me! I'm certain that, perhaps if this woman was merely injured, nothing serious, I would feel differently. Call him a stupid asshole, learn your lesson, and move on. Lives were lost, man. I can't get over that woman screaming and her dog (I love dogs more than anything) dying next to her. How fucking horrific.

-TurkeyTop

MichMash

Post by MichMash » Tue May 02, 2023 2:22 pm

Bumped due to an update in Ruggs' court case:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/369 ... l-dui-case

Ruggs will plead guilty to one count of DUI resulting in death and one count of misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter. Lesser charges (one count of DUI causing substantial harm regarding his passenger and two counts of reckless driving) were dropped as part of a plea deal. According to a plea agreement presented Tuesday in Las Vegas justice court, Ruggs will serve three to 10 years in the Nevada state prison.

My guess is he'll serve at least the minimum, but he won't serve the full 10 years. Ruggs was 22 years old at the time of the incident, and is 24 years old now. Say he serves five years and gets out at age 29. Wonder if any team (NFL, CFL, XFL, USFL???) would take a flyer on him being rehabilitated enough to still pursue a football career. Who would be willing to take the PR hit on that?

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue May 02, 2023 10:36 pm

Ah, I remember this story. So "DUI resulting in death" only gets you 3 to 10 years in prison? He should absolutely serve the maximum 10 years, though I suspect that you are correct that he'll be out in 5.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic