Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Tampa Bay Rays to Play Half of Games in Montreal

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Jacques Strap

Tampa Bay Rays to Play Half of Games in Montreal

Post by Jacques Strap » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:52 pm

The Tampa Bay Rays are adding a sign to the back wall of Tropicana Field for the postseason to advertise their plan to split home games in future seasons between Florida and Montreal.

Team president Matt Silverman announced the plan on Saturday's "This Week in Rays Baseball" radio show, according to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times.

"We’re going to add a sign in the right field foul territory with a very simple Tampa Bay Montreal graphic," Silverman said. "Especially with the eyes of baseball on us this October, we want that visible symbol of our plan and our excitement for it. It will mark the effort subtly and keep the focus on winning."

While the plan hasn't officially been put in place, Silverman said it's the best path forward to keep baseball in the area.
https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2199110

You don't have to be a good sport, to be a mad one.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: Tampa Bay Rays to Play Half of Games in Montreal

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:11 pm

That is the stupidest thing ever. Attendance is down but not THAT bad.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:42 pm

They want a new stadium that has been said before that the Rays would play games in Montreal which will get the Expose again.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:29 am

Does Montreal have a stadium with a retractable fully-enclosed dome? How will post-season games be apportioned? I absolutely hate watching baseball in snow and freezing temps! I'd imagine the players would absolutely hate going from sunny Florida to frigid Quebec and back again.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:56 pm

Read another article on this. The Rays want new open air stadiums in both cities. Would play spring training and April / May / part of June games in Tampa, then the rest of the season in Montreal.

Considering that they’ve now won their division 2 years in a row and they average less than 10K in attendance the past 2 years, I find this to be incredibly dumb. Just move the franchise to Montreal as Florida obviously doesn’t support this team. I’ll never forget when the World Series was in Tampa and they didn’t sell out a game 🙄🙄🙄.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:40 pm

Tropicana isn't that bad of a field though.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:10 am

Tropicana Field is a dump. True, not quite as bad aesthetically as it once was. Still a dump nonetheless.

I agree that the idea is moronic.

Tampa fans will feel screwed if they cannot attend any games that truly matter.

Ownership should be seeking a retractable roof stadium in either city. Whichever commits first should become the full time home of the team.

I wouldn't want to move to Montreal, though. Why not Nashville? Hell, why not Orlando?

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:31 am

I went to the Trop in April and it was by far my least favorite ballpark. The FL family I have say the location is the biggest problem- St Pete location is rather inconvenient for anyone not located in Pinellas County. The aesthetics are just not pleasing inside- my wife described the ceiling as “a white circus tent where you can barely follow balls”.

I know they’ve tried to get a new ballpark in Ybor City or near Raymond James Stadium, but no dice. As long as they’re at The Trop, they’ll never be very successful financially. I hate the idea of bringing MLB back to Montreal- they barely drew more than what the Rays were pre-pandemic. I’d love to see them move to Nashville.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic