Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Lions 2021

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Honeyman

Re: Detroit Lions 2021

Post by Honeyman » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:15 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:10 pm
Is Minnesota's field goal kicker good? If so - then I am inclined to agree.

What down was it when Minnesota threw for the TD? I've already forgotten.

He's adequate, and it was shorter than a XP.

It was third down. Had Cousins kneeled down time could have gone off since the Lions obviously had no to's. Probably a minute left for Goff to get them in FG range.

The censorship king from out of state.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:16 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:52 pm
Even Goff can hit a receiver if he has time.
I was somewhat shocked, Goff actually looked the part of an NFL QB in the first half! He made quick decisive passes downfield letting his receivers make plays. I was actually beginning to think we might just have our quarterback of the future! Then came the second half.... :rolleyes

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:31 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:48 pm
Campbell going for it on fourth-and-short deep in his own end with the lead may have been the most boneheaded coaching decision I've seen from this team since Morningweg took the wind in sudden death OT!
Completely disagree. It was 4th and less than a foot, and the way this played out was exactly why you do go for it there.

Option 1 - Punt. Advantage - you're up 2 and Minnesota is out of FG range. Disadvantage - You give up control of the game and Minnesota can run out the clock and beat you with a FG at the buzzer.

Option 2 - Go for it. Convert and you're well on your way to victory. Fail and Minnesota already has it pretty deep in your territory, so they can't run out the clock because they can only get a few first downs and there's over 4 minutes left. And that's exactly what happened.

Option 3 - IF it had been say 4th and 15 even deeper instead of 4th and less than 1, my call would have been very unconventional. Run your QB back to your own 9 yard line and take a knee there. Then your situation is a bit over 4 minutes left, up 2, Minnesota is first and goal. You're guaranteeing your team the ball left with over 2 minutes and down 6 at worst.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:40 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:31 pm
moldyoldie wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:48 pm
Campbell going for it on fourth-and-short deep in his own end with the lead may have been the most boneheaded coaching decision I've seen from this team since Morningweg took the wind in sudden death OT!
Completely disagree. It was 4th and less than a foot, and the way this played out was exactly why you do go for it there.

Option 1 - Punt. Advantage - you're up 2 and Minnesota is out of FG range. Disadvantage - You give up control of the game and Minnesota can run out the clock and beat you with a FG at the buzzer.

Option 2 - Go for it. Convert and you're well on your way to victory. Fail and Minnesota already has it pretty deep in your territory, so they can't run out the clock because they can only get a few first downs and there's over 4 minutes left. And that's exactly what happened.

Option 3 - IF it had been say 4th and 15 even deeper instead of 4th and less than 1, my call would have been very unconventional. Run your QB back to your own 9 yard line and take a knee there. Then your situation is a bit over 4 minutes left, up 2, Minnesota is first and goal. You're guaranteeing your team the ball left with over 2 minutes and down 6 at worst.
Interesting in-depth analysis, and I'm sure the analytics wonks might agree with Campbell's call considering the percentages. However, if you DON'T get the necessary yardage you're almost guaranteed to lose the lead (which happened) and you don't give your defense the opportunity to preserve the lead. I must say, that Option 3 you propose is one for the books!
Honeyman wrote: Zimmer might be dumber than Campbell. Should have run 45 seconds off the clock and kicked a FG.
Kicking a FG would still allow the Lions to win with a FG; there would still have been enough time for the Lions to merely get into FG range.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:47 pm

Article in the freep says the analytics back up Campbell and bmw: https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/ ... 881609002/

However, I think you throw out any reasoning when the Liedowns are the team in question.

Dunno moldy....do you really a trust a Lion kicker to make it with the game on the line?

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:05 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:40 pm
I must say, that Option 3 you propose is one for the books!
Detroit doesn't want to lose a third time to a walk-off field goal. Their defense is completely incapable of keeping teams out of FG range late in games. Under my Option 3, your defense only has to make 1 stop on 1 set of downs. Then you have 2+ minutes to win with a FG. And even if you give up the TD, you still have plenty of time to come back and win with one yourself. Completely out-of-the-box thinking for sure, but pure genius if it works (of course the situation never arose, but basically I would have said anything inside your own 30 at about 4th and 6 or more would have made that strategy viable).

As to Detroit's actual play - that was a HORRIBLE play call. Should have ran it there.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:37 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:34 pm

Better to be Lucky than good(in this case).

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:32 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:05 pm
As to Detroit's actual play - that was a HORRIBLE play call. Should have ran it there.
Agreed! :!:
Honeyman wrote:...do you really a trust a Lion kicker to make it with the game on the line?
This Patterson they signed off the Patriots practice squad looks legitimate, he kicks straight and true. I'm sure your question is rhetorical, but yes, I'd trust this kid.

- Sydney J. Harris

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:21 pm

Welp...saw that coming.

I really don't think there's another win in the cards this season. We got lucky with the one.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:02 am

I just knew I should have taken the 10 and a half. Got busy and didn't place it.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:10 am

Bryce wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:02 am
I just knew I should have taken the 10 and a half. Got busy and didn't place it.
Uh......they lost by 28.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:09 am

Nice walkoff TD for Breshad Perriman yesterday! Seems like a well considered cut from Detroit earlier this year.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:26 am

That lost fumble on the opening series of the second half was the killer. All downhill from there.
Matt wrote:Nice walkoff TD for Breshad Perriman yesterday! Seems like a well considered cut from Detroit earlier this year.
It seemed it was the only time he was targeted the whole game. At least he hung on! That "talent" was missing when he was with us.

- Sydney J. Harris

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:50 am

moldyoldie wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:26 am
That lost fumble on the opening series of the second half was the killer. All downhill from there.
That was my feeling as well. Detroit was hanging in there until this happened. You could tell just watching their defense on the ensuing drive that they were deflated.

This has been the story too many times this year. Detroit plays OK for a half. Remember, they even led Green Bay at halftime early in the season, only to eventually get blown out.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic