Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Fake "high school" football team dupes ESPN, plays a nationally televised game

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
bmw

Fake "high school" football team dupes ESPN, plays a nationally televised game

Post by bmw » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:06 am

This story is a little over a week old now, but quite fascinating nonetheless.
One of the most unbelievable football related stories occurred this past weekend when a fake high school named Bishop Sycamore found itself in a matchup being aired on ESPN against IMG Academy. It was a lopsided affair with IMG Academy winning 58-0, but this didn't seem too outlandish at the time given that they are one of the top high school football programs in the country. However, a few days later it was discovered that Bishop Sycamore is a completely made up school and they lied to ESPN about the amount of Division 1 players on their roster. Furthermore, the school's official address is a home and it was discovered that the roster was mostly comprised of 19 and 20 year olds. But craziest of all, it was discovered that there is an ACTIVE arrest warrant out for their head coach Roy Johnson for fraud charges. It is hard to comprehend how ESPN could allow this to happen and it is likely that someone will be losing their job because of this ordeal. If there is any details I am leaving out, let me know in the comments. In this video, I showcased some of the lowlights for Bishop Sycamore from this 58-0 beatdown. Enjoy!

Edit: Another crazy detail about this story is that Bishop Sycamore played 2 entire football games in a span of 3 days! They played a game on Friday night and then less than 48 hours later they squared off against IMG on Sunday afternoon. This is extremely dangerous for any football team, but especially for a team that is insanely outmatched.

Edit #2: Former Bishop Sycamore player Aaron Boyd has spoken out and given some troubling details on the dynamic of the team. He admitted there is no campus or form of education and that the team regularly pays hotels with bounced checks. Furthermore, players had to sleep on the floor of hotel rooms and often robbed stores just so they could eat. The more details come out, the more this sounds like a movie in real life. Unbelievable.

Ben Zonia

Re: Fake "high school" football team dupes ESPN, plays a nationally televised game

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:52 pm

Is fooling ESPN against the law? Otherwise, embarrassing them is a good thing, given how obnoxious they have been recently.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

ftballfan

Re: Fake "high school" football team dupes ESPN, plays a nationally televised game

Post by ftballfan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:21 pm

Surprised it took this long for Bishop Sycamore to be exposed. They existed under the Bishop Sycamore name since 2019 and have links to a short-lived team in 2018 called COF Academy. COF Academy is infamous for beating Birmingham Brother Rice in 2018.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:29 pm

Are we supposed to believe the academic credentials of Bishop Sycamore are materially different from ANY school in columbus, ohio?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:01 pm

What is the motivation for "Bishop Sycamore" doing this? Are the players compensated in any form or fashion? Sounds like some members of the team lead a pretty depressing life.

ESPN does indeed suck; glad to hear they were duped.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic