Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

College football prediction thread

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
craig11152

Re: College football prediction thread

Post by craig11152 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:13 am

If you can't pass effectively you can't come back from 3 scores down or win in a 4th quarter drive to take a lead. I guess that is where the 4 losses come in including the teams we can't seem to beat anymore.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:57 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:25 am
I have questions regarding the pass game and the kicking game particularly.
Passing game questions are fair, but kicking??? Moody and Robbins are both legit - Moody nailed a 52 yard FG.
craig11152 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:13 am
If you can't pass effectively you can't come back from 3 scores down or win in a 4th quarter drive to take a lead. I guess that is where the 4 losses come in including the teams we can't seem to beat anymore.
Washington looked to have outstanding coverage, and they couldn't stop the Michigan running game. They do need to get McNamara some in game reps, and they should be able to do that against NIU.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:41 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Can we just get rid of preseason polls?
I will respectfully disagree on two counts
1. It generates interest and excitement for a whole lot of fans
2. In the big picture they are reasonably accurate in that in most years most of the top 10 teams preseason are still top 25 at the end. And the difference is often a loss or two to another top 10 team.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:39 am

For context:
"Washington has a big powerful veteran O-Line, a deep set of RBs and two now veteran QBs. All 8 positions rank in my Top Units in the front of the magazine. They have my #5 secondary in the country and Jimmy Lake has 8 starters to work with on D and always produces one of the nation's finest...They only face my #58 schedule and while road games at Michigan and Stanford will not be easy, they have the talent edge to win those...Four of my nine sets of power ratings call for an unbeaten season."

- Phil Steele, May 2021.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:58 am

That's a great find!

I only mentioned the kicking game because we haven't seen enough of the field goal unit yet this season (small sample size). Are the guys you mentioned returning players?

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:21 am

Yes - you can throw out last year's shit show for Moody, and he's been solid: https://www.espn.com/college-football/p ... jake-moody

Brad Robbins is also solid: https://www.espn.com/college-football/p ... ad-robbins

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:38 pm

They just seem OK - not great, not horrible - based on past stats.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:20 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Was great seeing Ohio State lose at home, albeit to a very good Oregon team (who was already ranked twelfth and now almost assuredly will be top 3). The Buckeyes threw for 484 yards, only 1 INT, and still lost! Oregon run game was outstanding. Their main guy at RB racked up 161 yards, I believe.
I'm not sure how indicative the game was for either team. On paper I still think Ohio St. is a better team than their performance against Oregon and Oregon isn't nearly as good as how they looked in the horseshoe. They have been plotting how to beat Ohio St. for two years now, but a single upset does not a season or a legend make. Oregon got lucky against Fresno State the week before. They also got lucky they don't have to face Arizona State this year, so except for Stanford they'll be playing weak ass PAC-12 chumps the rest of the season. So I guess it's possible they run the table but as they've done time and time again playing mostly cupcakes all season isn't much help in the blue chip bowls.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:41 am

Matt wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:39 am
For context:
"Washington has a big powerful veteran O-Line, a deep set of RBs and two now veteran QBs. All 8 positions rank in my Top Units in the front of the magazine. They have my #5 secondary in the country and Jimmy Lake has 8 starters to work with on D and always produces one of the nation's finest...They only face my #58 schedule and while road games at Michigan and Stanford will not be easy, they have the talent edge to win those...Four of my nine sets of power ratings call for an unbeaten season."

- Phil Steele, May 2021.
Michigan played against a team that was down two WR's due to injury, and Cade cannot throw the ball. Kind of reminds me of O'Korn. I still hope they do somewhat well, but they won't.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:33 pm

I think both MIchigan and Michigan State might be better than many of us thought, myself included!

MSU had a very impressive win on the road at Miami today, while Michigan demolished Northern Illinois.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:56 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:41 am
Matt wrote:
For context:

- Phil Steele, May 2021.
Michigan played against a team that was down two WR's due to injury, and Cade cannot throw the ball. Kind of reminds me of O'Korn. I still hope they do somewhat well, but they won't.
Bad take.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:29 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:56 pm
Matt wrote:
For context:

- Phil Steele, May 2021.
Bad take.
Cade still cannot throw the ball. Michigan played 3 cupcakes. State is a better team as of this date. Now, if another QB gets a shot, things could obviously change behind a better than average O line and some of the best RB combos since the 90s.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:05 am

Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:29 pm
Matt wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:56 pm
Matt wrote:
For context:

- Phil Steele, May 2021.
Bad take.
Cade still cannot throw the ball. Michigan played 3 cupcakes. State is a better team as of this date. Now, if another QB gets a shot, things could obviously change behind a better than average O line and some of the best RB combos since the 90s.
8/11 and 9/11 in game 1 and 3 say otherwise. McNamara has the best deep ball since Henne. The first throw to Johnson was off, because Johnson slowed down. A deep ball to Baldwin was a missed DPI call.

FPI disagrees with your statement that State is a better team: https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi

There is no doubt that both teams are very good this year, but let's not pretend that State has had a harder schedule than Michigan. The two are looking like the best in the B1G East.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:34 am

Who is better than Miami? Washington? Hardly. Please. MSU has the better QB, and you know I don't like Sparty. You want me to get excited over Cade with those numbers? I am not saying Michigan is hot dog water like last year, but 9 wins(including a bowl win) is their ceiling. And I haven't seen anything showing me they can run with OSU.

Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:51 am

Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:34 am
Who is better than Miami? Washington? Hardly. Please. MSU has the better QB, and you know I don't like Sparty. You want me to get excited over Cade with those numbers? I am not saying Michigan is hot dog water like last year, but 9 wins(including a bowl win) is their ceiling. And I haven't seen anything showing me they can run with OSU.
Miami and Washington are right next to each other in FPI.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic