Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

MLB on ABC?

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

MLB on ABC?

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:50 pm

Huh. A major league baseball telecast on ABC. Intriguing.

I think it's been many decades since I've last seen a major league baseball telecast on ABC. The last one I can recall is the infamous A's - Giants World Series when the earthquake occurred and Tim McCarver wouldn't STFU. ;)

So, when did this begin?

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Realist

Re: MLB on ABC?

Post by Realist » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:49 pm

One night only. It’s the 33rd anniversary of Wrigley Field playing the first night game. Also the first baseball game on ABC since 1989.

ESPN is showing the Pro Football Hall of Fame Induction ceremony

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:10 pm

Many thanks for the info.

I bet this is a trial balloon. ABC went out of its way to make a big deal of the broadcast, even inviting Al Michaels to be part of the broadcast as a guest.

I know Matt would say nothing is worse than watching baseball, but I honestly cannot think of anything more boring than a HOF induction ceremony.

This telecast decision also reinforces how irrelevant ESPN 2 has become! Other than second or third tier college football & basketball broadcasts and late morning Sportscenter broadcasts, that network does nothing but pump out garbage these days.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:41 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:10 pm
Many thanks for the info.

I bet this is a trial balloon. ABC went out of its way to make a big deal of the broadcast, even inviting Al Michaels to be part of the broadcast as a guest.

I know Matt would say nothing is worse than watching baseball, but I honestly cannot think of anything more boring than a HOF induction ceremony.

This telecast decision also reinforces how irrelevant ESPN 2 has become! Other than second or third tier college football & basketball broadcasts and late morning Sportscenter broadcasts, that network does nothing but pump out garbage these days.
You are correct! Paint drying is more exciting than baseball. You are also correct that ESPN generally sucks. It's only really good for college football.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:52 pm

ESPN has a knack for taking what works and then fucking it up. Monday Night Football is probably the most glaring example.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:14 pm

That would have been nice to know. I turned on ESPN last night thinking I'd see the Cubs vs. Sox, nothing there, turned to the deuce and nothing there. Thought well it must have been a rain out.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:09 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:52 pm
ESPN has a knack for taking what works and then fucking it up. Monday Night Football is probably the most glaring example.
The most righteous truth ever posted on this fine website...

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:01 pm

I would have watched if I had known.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:39 pm

Now that ESPN has the NHL again, let's hope they don't steal that stupid glowing puck idea from FOX.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:42 pm

Don't give them any ideas! :razz

sfpcc1

Post by sfpcc1 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:03 am

Matt wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:39 pm
Now that ESPN has the NHL again, let's hope they don't steal that stupid glowing puck idea from FOX.
I guess I'm in the minority on this but I liked the glowing puck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic