Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Cleveland Indians now Cleveland Guardians

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Cleveland Indians now Cleveland Guardians

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:26 pm

The new name isn't bad but that new logo of theirs is HIDEOUS. Holy cow. Cheesier than most single-A and semi-pro league teams.

Robert Faygo

Re: Cleveland Indians now Cleveland Guardians

Post by Robert Faygo » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:31 pm

Wellllll... la de frickin da

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:50 pm

:x :barf

Well, that'll take some getting used to. (sigh) :? I'm assuming that equally hideous tom-tom high in the left-centerfield stands is also a thing of the past.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:23 pm

The name is tolerable, but ripoff winged Gs have to go...

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:21 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:26 pm
The new name isn't bad but that new logo of theirs is HIDEOUS. Holy cow. Cheesier than most single-A and semi-pro league teams.
Yeah, I wish they had gone with some of the designs I saw when I was back there last week. There was one that was a very stylized, art-deco version of the Guardians of Transportation reliefs on the bridge near the ballpark that looked very sharp. It really all comes down to what the team thinks is going to sell the most caps and jerseys. Considering they were tossing around they idea of being the Spiders (which I'm sure Marvel comics would have taken them to court if anything 'spidey' appeared in the logo) or the "45's" (can we be sure it was a vinyl record they were referencing and not the malt liquor?) the selection of Guardians seems wise.

[EDIT: The ballclub should have hired this guy: https://www.behance.net/gallery/101622239/CLE-Guardians]

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:52 pm

Cleveland Steamers was the only choice.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:37 pm

Completely agree.

sfpcc1

Post by sfpcc1 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:04 pm

When I first heard the new Cleveland name is going to be The Guardians I thought it had something to do with Guardian Glass, but I guess that's a Toledo thing. I like the name, (however I kind of want the Washington
Football team to become the Washington Generals.)

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:26 pm

They certainly won't be legal guardians of the Central any time soon.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:25 am

They should've kept the Inidians name and not caved to PC culture/madness I hate the C logo to basic they should've gone with the Cleveland Rockers since The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame is in Cleveland or Cleveland Drew Carrey's LOL LMAO.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:51 pm

There's also a men's roller derby team with the Cleveland Guardians name. How long before they change the name?

https://www.sciotopost.com/professional ... ince-2011/

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:33 pm

The name is tolerable however I was hoping they would go with Spiders or Rockers. The logo is absolutely terrible. What a h.uge downgrade. Glad I am no Cleveland baseball fan.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:04 pm

OK, so Cleveland changed their name. Now, how about the Washington Football Team getting a decent name.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:52 pm

Guardians is bad, but it is better than the Defenders which my high school renamed the mascot before closing down. We were known as the Crusaders.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:16 pm

While listening to the broadcasts of the Indians and the Tigers the past week or so, it almost feels like the Twilight Zone. If the name is so terrible, why is it still being used this season? How do you tell multiple generations of fans in Cleveland that it was wrong to call their team the Indians? Virtue-signaling at its most extreme.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic