Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

John U. Bacon on Dr. Anderson

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Matt

John U. Bacon on Dr. Anderson

Post by Matt » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:35 pm

Here is a very thoughtful look at the situation at Michigan: https://johnubacon.com/2021/06/dr-ander ... dont-know/

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Honeyman

Re: John U. Bacon on Dr. Anderson

Post by Honeyman » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:39 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:35 pm
Here is a very thoughtful look at the situation at Michigan: https://johnubacon.com/2021/06/dr-ander ... dont-know/
:rollin

Very objective......"I coauthored Bo Schembechler’s last book, Bo’s Lasting Lessons,which was published in 2007"

You want thoughtful,, read Rosenbergs article in SI.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/06/25/j ... aily-cover

The censorship king from out of state.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:48 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:39 pm
Matt wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:35 pm
:rollin

Very objective......"I coauthored Bo Schembechler’s last book, Bo’s Lasting Lessons,which was published in 2007"

Read Rosenbergs article in SI.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/06/25/j ... aily-cover

Did you read the full article? He mentioned the book in sentence two.

The piece ends with this:
Remarkably, the University could probably walk away without paying the survivors anything and suffer no legal consequences. But you can be legally right and ethically wrong, which is exactly what that would be. My sources tell me the University has offered about $100,000 per survivor, or about $90 million total, to the plaintiffs’ attorneys, who have so far rejected the offer. 

But all these questions aside, when I consider Dr. Anderson and the broad ripples of his abuse, what I feel most is a heavy sadness. 

Doctor Anderson was evil. 

The University failed to protect its students. 

Hundreds of students suffered. 

And those are very hard truths.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:04 pm

He basically excuses and exonerates Bo. That is very hard for most people....outside of yourself and other Michigan blowers....to believe.

Bo knew. Bo could have stopped this animal from doing what he did to scores of young men. Tear down the statue and rename the building.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:17 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:04 pm
He basically excuses and exonerates Bo. That is hard for most people, outside of yourself and other Michigan blowers, to believe.

Bo knew. Tear down the statue and rename the building.
He does none of the sort. He does say that it is hard to believe given everything he knows. He also talks about how Matt Schembechler politely declined an interview request and only told people who have been deceased for many years. The point about a 10 year old going to see a doctor alone appears to be untrue. The claims go against everything Bo stood for - that they are now coming out after he's been dead for almost 15 years and the University has, in the plaintiff lawyers' eyes, low-balled on a settlement - makes the claims highly suspicious.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:25 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:17 pm
Honeyman wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:04 pm
He basically excuses and exonerates Bo. That is hard for most people, outside of yourself and other Michigan blowers, to believe.

Bo knew. Tear down the statue and rename the building.
He does none of the sort. He does say that it is hard to believe given everything he knows. He also talks about how Matt Schembechler politely declined an interview request and only told people who have been deceased for many years. The point about a 10 year old going to see a doctor alone appears to be untrue. The claims go against everything Bo stood for - that they are now coming out after he's been dead for almost 15 years and the University has, in the plaintiff lawyers' eyes, low-balled on a settlement - makes the claims highly suspicious.
Please....he is a fucking Bo apologist:

But if I’ve seen evidence of ignorance, neglect, and an enabling culture from Schembechler and Canham, I have seen no evidence of malice, deceit, or a cover-up – or even compelling evidence that Canham or Schembechler fully grasped the gravity of the situation we see so clearly today.

In the book Schembechler and I wrote together, Chapter 21 is titled, “Don’t Sleep On It – And Don’t Hold Grudges,” in which Schembechler says. “When you’re faced with some personnel problem, conventional wisdom says you’ve got to sleep on it before you do anything rash. But I say that’s pointless, because if it really is a problem you’re not going to sleep anyway. So you might as well face the damn thing and get it over with.”

Many who knew Schembechler better than I did – assistant coaches, secretaries, players – are convinced if he had grasped the situation, he would have had Dr. Anderson fired. Of course, without more information, we can’t know

Even if Matt Schembechler's comments are taking out of the equation, and I will admit they are suspect, you can't dismiss the 850+ others.

Bo. Had. To. Know.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:32 pm

That's the point, he might not have known. It sounds like there was some medical thought at the time that rectal exams were appropriate at any age. It's worth noting that this wasn't published immediately after the first press conference.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:40 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:32 pm
That's the point, he might not have known. It sounds like there was some medical thought at the time that rectal exams were appropriate at any age. It's worth noting that this wasn't published immediately after the first press conference.
But he did know. The broadcaster who came in after getting anally molested FOR MIGRAINES told him. Supposedly he screamed at Canham about that. But then kept him on the staff for years.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:22 pm

I haven't followed this story too closely as I don't have a dog in the hunt, but what exactly is the abuse Dr. Anderson is accused of?

Although it isn't current practice, but if I could sue every Doctor that put his finger up my ass over the years, I'd be retired on my own private island right now.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:05 am

Here is a link to a PDF of the entire 240 page report.
Personally I'm not likely to read the whole thing any time soon.

https://regents.umich.edu/files/meeting ... Report.pdf

I no longer directly engage trolls

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:47 pm

Bryce wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:22 pm
I haven't followed this story too closely as I don't have a dog in the hunt, but what exactly is the abuse Dr. Anderson is accused of?

Although it isn't current practice, but if I could sue every Doctor that put his finger up my ass over the years, I'd be retired on my own private island right now.
After Craig posted the link, I perused several of the first pages of the document (not sure I'll get through the whole thing). Here are some highlights:

"Over the course of his thirty-seven years as a University employee, Dr. Anderson
engaged in sexual misconduct with patients on countless occasions. Dr. Anderson’s misconduct
ranged from performing medically unnecessary hernia and rectal examinations on patients
seeking treatment for wholly unrelated issues, to manually stimulating male patients and causing
them to ejaculate, to quid pro quo arrangements in which he provided medical services in
exchange for sexual contact" (note: "quid pro quo" implies consensual, wouldn't it? Also, it appears that of the ~800 folks who filed statements that the "stimulating male patients" applies to 12 or less)

"In light of the one-on-one setting in
which Dr. Anderson’s misconduct occurred, the passage of time, the dearth of contemporaneous
medical records, and the fact that many patients and witnesses are no longer alive, we could not
determine that particular incidents unfolded exactly as patients described them to us
. But we
have no doubt based on the evidence available to us, including the first-hand accounts of his
patients, that Dr. Anderson engaged in a pervasive, decades-long, destructive pattern of sexual
misconduct." (note: I bolded that section)

"Yet no one in the Athletic Department appears to have recognized what they
heard as indicative of abuse
or initiated any inquiries into Dr. Anderson’s conduct." (note: I bolded that part, and again it leads me to wonder exactly what folks were being told about what was happening or what the concerns abut the doctor were.)

There's a good few paragraphs on Easthope's involvement, and it appears that he admitted knowing something was going on, to the extent that he thought the info was worthy of firing Anderson and/or removing him from contact with students, but he did neither. In fact, it appears he reassigned Anderson and gave him a raise.

"In the summer of 2020, we
stopped communicating with Dr. Anderson’s former patients for approximately six weeks
pursuant to a court order. When the order was lifted in August 2020,21 several patients with
whom we had previously scheduled interviews were no longer willing to speak with us." (note: Hmmmm, interesting. Wonder why the change?)

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:46 pm

I read through enough pages to be firm in the belief that Dr. Anderson was a sick sexual predator. From what I did read in that report, it isn't clear what Schembechler knew or didn't know.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:32 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:46 pm
I read through enough pages to be firm in the belief that Dr. Anderson was a sick sexual predator. From what I did read in that report, it isn't clear what Schembechler knew or didn't know.
That's when you use common sense to fill in the blanks, Bryce. If you followed UM athletics during that time, you know who was the one man calling the shots. It was Schembechler. Some people have theorized that when Bo had his heart attack before the Rose Bowl, it was Anderson who "saved" him, and he was forever indebted. Others believe Anderson would shoot up his players, or at least clear them to play on Saturdays, that's why he was kept on. But even when Canham left, and despite all the talk about Anderson in the locker room, Bo kept him on the staff.

Bo knew. There really is no doubt if you think of things logically and without prejudice. Bo had to know.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:48 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:32 pm
There really is no doubt if you think of things logically and without prejudice. Bo had to know.
And using the same thinking logically and without prejudice, the Obama administration spied on the Trump campaign and Covid-19 came out of the lab in Wuhan. Yet here we are....

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:29 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:48 pm
Honeyman wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:32 pm
There really is no doubt if you think of things logically and without prejudice. Bo had to know.
And using the same thinking logically and without prejudice, the Obama administration spied on the Trump campaign and Covid-19 came out of the lab in Wuhan. Yet here we are....
Right. Because these 3 situations are exactly similar. They virtually mirror each other. Solid point.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic