Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Pistons win NBA lottery!!

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
moldyoldie

Re: Pistons win NBA lottery!!

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:37 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:30 am
Good riddance to Plumlee, btw. He underachieved here.
Wow, I couldn't disagree more! I thought he played good team basketball and made his presence felt underneath. A good veteran presence on a young team. The trade opens things up for Isaiah Stewart, and maybe even Garza. Plumlee ceded a lot of minutes to Stewart late in the season.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:09 pm

He's a decent player but the Pistons need a big man who can offer more. I'm glad that cap room will be able to be deployed elsewhere.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:25 pm

I liked the Pistons draft with Cunningham, Livers & Garza.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:55 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:09 pm
He's a decent player but the Pistons need a big man who can offer more. I'm glad that cap room will be able to be deployed elsewhere.
You got your wish, they signed big man Kelly Olynyk for big money.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

thekman

Post by thekman » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:55 pm

Matt wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:55 am
Very intriguing draft for the Pistons...

I might actually have to re-engage in more than casual interest.
Get to 41 wins, then I’ll pretend to start to care.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:13 pm

Very solid move.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:31 pm

Agreed, MCRF.

If Olynyk's productivity is on par with what he displayed in Houston, then Detroit will have made a very good signing for the money. In 27 games with Houston, he averaged 31 minutes of playing time, 19 points total scoring, 55% shooting from the field, 39% shooting from beyond the arc, and 84% free throw shooting per game.

I don't expect him to receive quite as much playing time with Detroit, but if he can contribute 14 or 15 points per night, 6 to 8 boards, and knock down a couple triples per game, I'll be content.

His turnovers did inch up in Houston, that's the only thing that concerns me a little.

I know this - U-M basketball fans will go ape-shit bananas whenever Isaiah Livers takes the floor if he stays healthy and develops into a decent utility player. :)

Let's face it - he's there because John Beilein now works for the Pistons. I still think that was a decent pick at #42 nonetheless.

I think Luka Garza has the potential to go down as the clear-cut steal of this year's draft. Taking him at #52 was a no-brainer; it's amazing he was still available! So he was (arguably) a little chunky last winter...who cares. He's definitely in good shape now. The fact 270 lbs was considered too much weight for a 6' 11" frame in the first place baffles me.

Would not at all surprise me if Garza turns out to be a better NBA player than Wagner who was selected 8th overall.

Who the hell knows how these picks will turn out, but on paper, Troy Weaver made prudent moves from top to bottom. I can't really point to anything and say "he shouldn't have done that!" I'd have to give him a grade of A or A- for his draft decisions this year.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:43 pm

Honestly, this is probably the most solid offseason for the Pistons in the last 20 years, and we aren't even done yet.

I am glad my fellow alum and classmate (GM Jon Horst) won his ring with the Bucks, but I also still love the Pistons still.

Honestly, my interest in NBA basketball has been rebirthed the last few years. Can't wait for next year.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:02 pm

We need to have a mix of longer-term experience and new talent to grow. That is what makes a team great. Not individual great players.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic