Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Tigers 2021

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
moldyoldie

Re: Detroit Tigers 2021

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:51 pm

Once again our boys rise to the occasion, taking two of three at home against the best team in the American League! Up next are the Brewers at home and four return matches against the Rays down in Florida...a tough row to hoe, to be sure.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:12 pm

Taking two of three from the first place Rays, then sweeping the two game set against the first place Brewers -- what more can you reasonably ask of this team? :D :smokin

The upcoming four game series against the Rays in Tampa will be the torture test.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:05 am

Coming back to win two in a row at Tampa Bay after that devastating loss in extra innings, blowing a three run ninth inning lead, shows just how competitive is this Tigers team! Wily Peralta is bucking for a spot in the rotation next year; he's been a savior in the season's second half.

- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:54 am

8-3 against all first place teams, not too shabby! :smokin It leaves them a mere four games under .500.

K.C. is up next. Following a make-up against the ChiSox on Monday, it's those damn Twinkies. Tigers are a combined 14-18 this season against the Royals and Twins. They close out the season with six games on the road including another three against the first place ChiSox.

- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:53 am

Based on that schedule, if they get to 80 wins, I'll be very impressed.

I suspect they will win 3 or 4 more games in total.

Hinch has performed well as manager. If the Tigers actually spend some money this off season, next year could be interesting.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:33 am

They certainly seem to be moving in the right direction.
I am looking forward to a time when "magic numbers" matter again.

I no longer directly engage trolls

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:04 pm

Well, .500 is out the window as is 80 wins. :( It was still a fun second half of the season. Take out April and it would be a darn good season. :blink

- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:43 am

The team stunk from late August onward. They've been outrageously bad against divisional opponents. They might go 2 - 8 to end the season!

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:19 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:43 am
The team stunk from late August onward. They've been outrageously bad against divisional opponents. They might go 2 - 8 to end the season!
Let's be honest, they ended up a helluva lot better than we had any right to expect at the season's outset, and especially after April. :hat
Last edited by moldyoldie on Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

- Sydney J. Harris

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:21 pm

This season-ending slump helps us not have any illusions about this team. I'm guessing that today we're seeing the last of Niko Goodrum, Willi Castro, Zach Short, Bryan Garcia, and maybe Daz Cameron, Joe Jimenez, and Derek Holland.

Next year, we're probably looking at the improvement that was made from 1977 (74-88 with young players like Kemp, Thompson, and Rozema) to 1978 (86-76 with the addition of Trammell, Whitaker, and Parrish). That 1978 team also benefited greatly from the addition of two veteran starters—Jack Billingham and Jim Slaton. The same kind of addition should be made to the 2022 team.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:12 pm

I said .500 before the season began, but I really think they could have matched that total with healthy pitching.

I strongly believe that Hinch will ask for Correa to be picked up in the off-season. This team will get above .500 next year. Probably not wild card area, but they will play competitively in the division other than the White Sox. With Correa and a few relief pitching signings, this team will be fun to watch.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:42 am

I agree with the mid 80 range victory prediction for next season.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:10 am

Bobbert wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:21 pm
This season-ending slump helps us not have any illusions about this team. I'm guessing that today we're seeing the last of Niko Goodrum, Willi Castro, Zach Short, Bryan Garcia, and maybe Daz Cameron, Joe Jimenez, and Derek Holland.

Next year, we're probably looking at the improvement that was made from 1977 (74-88 with young players like Kemp, Thompson, and Rozema) to 1978 (86-76 with the addition of Trammell, Whitaker, and Parrish). That 1978 team also benefited greatly from the addition of two veteran starters—Jack Billingham and Jim Slaton. The same kind of addition should be made to the 2022 team.
Yes, I was thinking along the same lines. Whether the likes of Torkelson, Greene, Dingler, et al. will equate to Whittaker, Trammell, and Parrish is, of course, yet to be seen.

I'm dubious whether now is the time to dish out big bucks to Carlos Correa. I'm hoping we can unload Miggy with a generous buyout once he reaches that 3000 hit mark; I don't think I can stomach another two years of his flailing at fastballs.

- Sydney J. Harris

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:13 am

moldyoldie wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:10 am
Bobbert wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:21 pm

Yes, I was thinking along the same lines. Whether the likes of Torkelson, Greene, Dingler, et al. will equate to Whittaker, Trammell, and Parrish is, of course, yet to be seen.

I'm dubious whether now is the time to dish out big bucks to Carlos Correa. I'm hoping we can unload Miggy with a generous buyout once he reaches that 3000 hit mark; I don't think I can stomach another two years of his flailing at fastballs.
I agree about not going after a big name shortstop in free agency. Ryan Kreidler's stats are almost the same as Riley Greene's, with a fraction of the publicity. And he's older than Trammel was in his rookie year.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:18 am

According to ESPN, Matthew Boyd had the highest batting average on the Tigers this year (.333) and Harold Castro had the lowest ERA on the team (0.00).

Could we have another Shohei Ohtani on this team? :D :lol :lol:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/stats/_/n ... g/dir/desc

https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/stats/_/t ... RA/dir/asc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic