Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Professional sports in Detroit are a joke

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
bmw

Professional sports in Detroit are a joke

Post by bmw » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:58 pm

Tigers - finished last in the division, 2nd worst in the AL
Lions - finished last in the division, 3rd worst in the NFC
Red Wings - currently last in the division, 2nd worst in the league
Pistons - currently last in the Eastern Conference, 2nd worst in the league

Summary - 4 dumpster fires. Is there any city with a professional team in all 4 major sports that has been cumulatively this bad, ever? The 5-11 Detroit Lions are the best of the lot. How can 1 city have 4 teams that are this bad?

matt1

Re: Professional sports in Detroit are a joke

Post by matt1 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:22 am

Nothing since June of 2008 when the Detroit Red Wings won the Stanley Cup against the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:26 am

matt1 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:22 am
Nothing since June of 2008 when the Detroit Red Wings won the Stanley Cup against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
No championships. We’ve had playoffs from all 4 teams since then.

Until somebody decides to spend but this is where it will be.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:16 am

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:26 am

bmw wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:58 pm
How can 1 city have 4 teams that are this bad?
When tanking becomes a "thing", that's how. Some use the euphemisms "rebuilding", retooling", "rebooting", etc.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:09 pm

bmw wrote:
Tigers - finished last in the division, 2nd worst in the AL
Lions - finished last in the division, 3rd worst in the NFC
Red Wings - currently last in the division, 2nd worst in the league
Pistons - currently last in the Eastern Conference, 2nd worst in the league

Summary - 4 dumpster fires. Is there any city with a professional team in all 4 major sports that has been cumulatively this bad, ever? The 5-11 Detroit Lions are the best of the lot. How can 1 city have 4 teams that are this bad?
My rough guess is that there's no real financial incentive. The owners of those four teams have become a tightly knit club that has benefited from the many revenue streams of sports and taxpayer-funded facilities. They all operate within walking distance of each other and probably share a lot of ideas about how to focus on the bottom line.

The Ford family took over the Lions just when television revenue was exploding in professional football (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_te ... 1960s#1963). The sources and amounts of pro football revenue have grown incredibly since that time. It made perfect sense to the Ford family to hire a Ford financial person as the Lions' president (Rod Wood).

Pistons owner Tom Gores is primarily a private equity investor who has watched the value of the Pistons more than triple in the 10 years that he has owned the team (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Gores ... s_dealings). He has nothing to complain about.

The Tigers and Red Wings are owned by a family that for decades has been building up a small city of properties in downtown Detroit. To many, they have given the impression that they are just trying to squeeze as much money as possible out of these properties with minimal investment (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilitch_Ho ... ontroversy).

Publicly, they all show a desire to win, but privately, the bottom line is most important. It might even be a subconscious thing. I wish I was wrong, but that's the only explanation I can find for this collective misery.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:39 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:09 pm
The Tigers and Red Wings are owned by a family that for decades has been building up a small city of properties in downtown Detroit. To many, they have given the impression that they are just trying to squeeze as much money as possible out of these properties with minimal investment (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilitch_Ho ... ontroversy).
I think the old man Illitch actually had some pride and had some expectation to the teams that they be respectable. The Wings certainly showed that and the Tigers had several years that were very promising. That all went away when the old man died.

I think the Ford family treats the Lions like a house pet.

I agree with the comments about Gores. He might like to win, but he doesn't NEED the team to win for him to win.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:44 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:26 am
bmw wrote:
When tanking becomes a "thing", that's how. Some use the euphemisms "rebuilding", retooling", "rebooting", etc.
I HATE the phrase "tanking."

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:24 am

km1125 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:39 pm
I think the Ford family treats the Lions like a house pet.
:lol That's a PERFECT analogy.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:30 am

Matt wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:44 pm
moldyoldie wrote:
bmw wrote:
I hate the very thought of "tanking".

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:12 am

moldyoldie wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:30 am
Matt wrote:
moldyoldie wrote:
bmw wrote:
Agreed. I don't think the Wings have tanked unless you consider that they employed Ken Holland for a decade too long and had a LOT of bad contracts. They haven't been rewarded with the top draft pick yet for sucking really bad for the past several years.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:17 am

Matt wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:12 am
moldyoldie wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:30 am
Matt wrote:
moldyoldie wrote:
bmw wrote:
Agreed. I don't think the Wings have tanked unless you consider that they employed Ken Holland for a decade too long and had a LOT of bad contracts. They haven't been rewarded with the top draft pick yet for sucking really bad for the past several years.
I don’t think the wings tanked but here’s 6 reasons why they did... uh huh.

It’s hockey... Who cares?

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:50 am

I was dating a woman who knew nothing about sports and she was surprised when she found out that the players on sports teams aren't from the city they play for. She asked why people even care about their home team. She was right, lol... There really isn't much reason other than brand loyalty, and that's foolish.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:16 pm

Big Al wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:50 am
I was dating a woman who knew nothing about sports and she was surprised when she found out that the players on sports teams aren't from the city they play for. She asked why people even care about their home team. She was right, lol... There really isn't much reason other than brand loyalty, and that's foolish.
What else did your right hand have to say?

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:07 pm

Matt wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:16 pm
Big Al wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:50 am
What else did your right hand have to say?
Nothing really, but it asked me why your mom uses Star-Kist to douche.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic