Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff + a bunch of draft picks

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
bmw

Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff + a bunch of draft picks

Post by bmw » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:56 pm

This is certainly not where I expected him to go. I was thinking Indy or maybe New Orleans. But here it is:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/308 ... ources-say

Detroit gets:
-QB Jared Goff
-A 3rd round draft pick this year
-A 1st round draft pick next year
-A 1st round draft pick the year after

I have to say, that's a damn good value for Detroit, at least in the long-term.

So I assume Goff is Detroit's starting QB this coming season? His numbers aren't terrible, but he does throw a lot of picks.

Matt

Re: Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff + a bunch of draft picks

Post by Matt » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:17 pm

Goff has won playoff games at least.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:41 pm

This whole thing with Stafford has been the opposite of "Same Ol Lions".

Next step: Doing the right things with 5 first round picks the next 3 drafts, including not thinking Goff is a long-term answer at QB.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:59 pm

I wonder if Detroit might be interested in using some of their newly acquired draft pick capital to trade up to the #2 spot and draft QB Zach Wilson? This would depend on whether the Jets are looking to draft a QB or not.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:59 pm

One of the biggies is that the Rams get to offload Goff's contract on the Lions.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:35 am

I'm not a big fan of the deal.

For starters, it seems almost incestuous. Holmes does the deal with the team, that until a few weeks ago, was his employer! I question if better offers from other teams were on the table and were declined.

Goff's contract is too expensive relative to skill. The Rams obviously felt he was overpaid relative to skill. Now, the Lions are burdened with his pricy contract - and unless they trade Goff in a subsequent deal - won't be drafting a new starting QB.

I wanted the Lions to draft Trevor Lawrence or another highly sought after QB (e.g. Zach Wilson, as bmw mentioned) in this spring's draft.

In any trade involving Stafford, I wanted the Lions to receive one or more experienced position players plus one or more first round picks. The team has so many damn needs on defense. They could've also used another solid wide receiver.

Goff is still very young; hopefully he has some upside left.

Personally, I would've preferred a deal that involved strictly draft picks going back to the Lions than this one!

The dopes in the local media -- especially Jamie Edmonds on WDIV -- are too stupid to grasp the risks and opportunity cost of the deal the Lions just made, just as they were with the Pistons deals that brought Blake Griffin here (gee, how many playoff games have the Pistons won since Griffin's arrival?). Don't get me wrong, the Griffin deal was significantly worse than this one given Griffin's age, the pieces the Pistons had to give up, the overall haul the Pistons received in return and differences in salary cap rules between the two leagues.

All rankings I've reviewed consider Goff a slightly below average starting QB - usually #19 or #20 among all starters. That is true even for the 2019 season. Why are the dipshit beat writers not mentioning this???

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:19 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:35 am
I'm not a big fan of the deal.

For starters, it seems almost incestuous. Holmes does the deal with the team, that until a few weeks ago, was his employer! I question if better offers from other teams were on the table and were declined.

Goff's contract is too expensive relative to skill. The Rams obviously felt he was overpaid relative to skill. Now, the Lions are burdened with his pricy contract - and unless they trade Goff in a subsequent deal - won't be drafting a new starting QB.

I wanted the Lions to draft Trevor Lawrence or another highly sought after QB (e.g. Zach Wilson, as bmw mentioned) in this spring's draft.

In any trade involving Stafford, I wanted the Lions to receive one or more experienced position players plus one or more first round picks. The team has so many damn needs on defense. They could've also used another solid wide receiver.

Goff is still very young; hopefully he has some upside left.

Personally, I would've preferred a deal that involved strictly draft picks going back to the Lions than this one!
This was the best deal Detroit could get.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:28 am

If a couple first round draft picks, some other draft picks, and no takeback of an excessively pricey contract were on the table, in my view, *that* would have been a better option than this one.

The fact the deal just happened to be with the Rams has me suspicious about the whole "this is the best deal Detroit could get" narrative. I need to see the cards on the table to be convinced of that.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:48 am

I wonder if any viable path would've existed to get Deshaun Watson here? More expensive than Goff but much better player.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:50 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:28 am
If a couple first round draft picks, some other draft picks, and no takeback of an excessively pricey contract were on the table, in my view, *that* would have been a better option than this one.

The fact the deal just happened to be with the Rams has me suspicious about the whole "this is the best deal Detroit could get" narrative. I need to see the cards on the table to be convinced of that.
The fact that they got TWO first round picks AND at least a serviceable QB make this look like a steal for Detroit. Goff might just have needed a change of scenery to jump start his career. Maybe Holmes familiarity with Goff is what made him comfortable bringing him to Detroit.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:55 am

That contract relative to Goff's skill set worries me. Maybe his performance will improve with time; we shall see.

Not a horrible deal overall but definitely not one that makes me giddy, either.

Lions still need to find a capable backup QB, too.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:01 am

I view this move as a mild downgrade at the QB position (for now) and something that could complicate a true rebuild.

Goff throws picks. That coupled with the Lions putrid D could spell disaster.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:17 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:01 am
I view this move as a mild downgrade at the QB position (for now) and something that could complicate a true rebuild.

Goff throws picks. That coupled with the Lions putrid D could spell disaster.
The man has been to a super bowl at least...

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:56 am

This isn't about Goff, it's all about the draft picks. They were a last place team in 2021 anyway. At least the Lions are thinking about the future. If Goff stinks this year....and he will... they can dump his contract in the off-season. I'm shocked they made a shrewd deal.

Of course, they'll fuck up the picks.

The censorship king from out of state.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:33 am

How do you surmise they can simply "dump" his contract?

Is there an easy out that I potentially overlooked? If so - I will eat my words from earlier.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic