Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Multiple reports: Lions to seek to trade Stafford in the offseason

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Rate This

Re: Multiple reports: Lions to seek to trade Stafford in the offseason

Post by Rate This » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:13 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:02 pm
Matt wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:05 am
Man, the Stafford worship is strong. Brady and Rodgers are proven winners. Stafford hasn't even won a playoff game.
Personally I don't worship Stafford at all. I just feel he gets too much blame from "haters".
I've said before NFL QB's don't have the ability to control a game like an MLB pitcher can. When the ball is snapped a QB needs his 10 players to out play the 11 on the other side to some degree or the play fails. In that regard I think Stafford takes more blame than he deserves sometimes
A guy like Brady could lead a group of 6 year olds to the super bowl.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:42 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:13 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Matt wrote:
Man, the Stafford worship is strong. Brady and Rodgers are proven winners. Stafford hasn't even won a playoff game.
Personally I don't worship Stafford at all. I just feel he gets too much blame from "haters".
I've said before NFL QB's don't have the ability to control a game like an MLB pitcher can. When the ball is snapped a QB needs his 10 players to out play the 11 on the other side to some degree or the play fails. In that regard I think Stafford takes more blame than he deserves sometimes
Not today.

Go Pack!!

The censorship king from out of state.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:00 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:42 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:13 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Matt wrote:
Not today.

Go Pack!!
Go Bucs!

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:08 pm

I know you are no bandwagon jumper Matt....remember you rooting for TB for years. Your grandma or something? When Brady got signed, you must have gone nuts!

I bet GB +450 to win the SB when the playoffs started, so I'm on the Pack today.

GL...should be a classic.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:57 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:08 pm
I know you are no bandwagon jumper Matt....remember you rooting for TB for years. Your grandma or something? When Brady got signed, you must have gone nuts!

I bet GB +450 to win the SB when the playoffs started, so I'm on the Pack today.

My grandparents had a second home in the area that eventually became their primary home, so I spent a lot of time down there. I switched teams when Tampa hired Tony Dungy.

What a nerve-wracking game today... glad they won, but need to clean up pass catching.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:24 pm

Matt wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:57 pm
Honeyman wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:08 pm

My grandparents had a second home in the area that eventually became their primary home, so I spent a lot of time down there. I switched teams when Tampa hired Tony Dungy.

What a nerve-wracking game today... glad they won, but need to clean up pass catching.
Congrats. The play at the end of the half was inexcusable as was the call to for the FG. That said....SCOREBOARD. Not like the refs took it from them, GB did a lot to fuck things up.

GL in 2 weeks.

format this

Post by format this » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:53 pm

From The Athletic just moments ago... Rodgers is “uncertain” about next year. Stafford could very well jump the pond. I know it’s an in-division trade, but it still could happen... especially now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:13 pm

No way the Lie downs trade for an old QB with a young team. I don't think even they are that stupid.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:03 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:13 pm
No way the Lie downs trade for an old QB with a young team. I don't think even they are that stupid.
Remember, the Pack drafted touted QB Jordan Love last year in the first round. If you're perhaps thinking Mr. This had inferred the article suggested Rodgers going to the Lions, that's simply ridiculous. I'm sure the Athletic article in question suggested Stafford perhaps going to the Packers, with Love perhaps coming back in a trade. Personally, I can't see that happening, but wouldn't be averse to it. It would mean the Lions wouldn't necessarily have to draft a QB in the first round of the upcoming draft.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:40 am

How many folks have left the Lions and ended up on a championship team within a couple years? Similarly, you could say the same thing about the Tigers.

Even Suh is going to the superbowl this year.

I don't think Brady could lead "six year olds", as you need to start with some basic talent, but he can pull together the talent that is there. Lions have had way too many large gaps to overcome in any given year.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:06 am

There are definitely parallels between the Lions and Tigers in that regard.
The play at the end of the half was inexcusable as was the call to for the FG.
I bet Mr. Rodgers (pun intended) was - and probably still is - FUMING over his coach's decision to kick that field goal late in the 4th on what ultimately turned out to be GB's last possession.

Green Bay was having trouble putting points on the scoreboard all game long. Why on earth would you squander a 4th & goal opportunity to tie the game at that stage in the game?

Even if GB were successful in stopping Tampa Bay from converting a couple first downs on the ensuing possession, best case - you're talking about a situation with no more than a minute on the game clock and at some point Rodgers probably having to heave the ball downfield "Hail Mary" style.

Football coaches seem to have a poor grasp of statistical probability.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:31 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:06 am
I bet Mr. Rodgers (pun intended) was - and probably still is - FUMING over his coach's decision to kick that field goal late in the 4th on what ultimately turned out to be GB's last possession.

Green Bay was having trouble putting points on the scoreboard all game long. Why on earth would you squander a 4th & goal opportunity to tie the game at that stage in the game?

Even if GB were successful in stopping Tampa Bay from converting a couple first downs on the ensuing possession, best case - you're talking about a situation with no more than a minute on the game clock and at some point Rodgers probably having to heave the ball downfield "Hail Mary" style.

Definitely a coaching brain fart for the ages, up there with Morningweg taking the wind in sudden death.

As to Stafford's trade value, David Carr of nfl.com posits it could be as much as two first-rounders based on precedent. He writes that he would give up three first-rounders!

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:20 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:06 am

I watched this live, and I agreed with the decision to kick the FG as I did some quick math in my head at the time and I don't think going for it was the statistical no-brainer you make it out to be. Now the breakdown:

First off, the situation was 4th and goal at the 8. Statistically, that has a 30 percent conversion rate.

Then, they would have needed a 2-point conversion for the tie. Those come in at just under 50%. Let's call it 48%.

Then let's put their odds of an OT victory at 55% (I'm being generous here as they were the home team and the slight favorites).

Already, just multiplying those 3 numbers out, they would be at 7.9% to win the game. But even that ignores the odds of the Bucs, even if GB scores a TD and converts a 2-pointer, using the last 2:05 to come down and score to win the game. Those odds clock in at 35%

So the final math is 0.30 x 0.48 x 0.65 x 0.55, or 5.1 percent to win the game if they had gone for it. That number is actually slightly higher since they could theoretically have gone for it, not got it, stopped TB to get the ball back and go through that whole process all over again, bringing that final number to around 5.3 percent overall chance of winnning.

Now let's analyze what they actually did - kicked a field goal. Their odds of making that field goal at that distance was around 97 percent. Then down only 5, you no longer need the 2-point conversion or the overtime to win. You simply need a stop and then a TD.

Let's say they get the stop and get the ball back at their own 25. Their odds of winning from that point would have been 24 percent. See here:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... s_to_go=10

Even if they gave up a first down, they could have still gotten the ball back, albeit with less time.

Given ALL OF THAT MATH (yeah, I know, long-winded), the only remaining question is, what are the odds they would have gotten the stop (which they obviously didn't get, but that's hindsight, all that is relevant is the odds at FG decision time) ? We're basically comparing a 5% win chance going for it on 4th and 8 down 8 with a 24 percent win chance had they gotten the stop after getting the FG. That means the break-even decision point is at a mere 20% chance of getting a stop, and if the odds were any higher than that, then kicking the FG was the right decision. This is the one stat I can't find, but my gut tells me that the statistical odds of GB holding TB to a 3-and-out in that situation were at least 20 percent, making the FG statistically the correct call.

EDIT - I missed the scenario of GB getting the TD but missing the 2, then getting a stop and coming back and kicking a FG. Don't really feel like figuring out the math on this one but that maybe pushes up odds of getting a stop needed to justify the FG to 25 or 30 percent.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:59 am

Matthew "AMC" Stafford.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:20 am

Matt wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:59 am
Matthew "AMC" Stafford.
What are you trying to say? That some poor team is going to be stuck holding the bag? :lol

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic