Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Pistons '20-'21

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
moldyoldie

Detroit Pistons '20-'21

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:48 am

After new GM Troy Weaver's recent flurry of FA signings and trades stemming from the draft, I'm trying to figure out who is still on the team from last year! :shock: Off the top of my head, all I can think of is Doumbouya.

[edit]
Oh yeah, and Blake Griffin...but that was kind of a given. :razz Derrick Rose and Svi, too. I think that's it.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Re: Detroit Pistons '20-'21

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:45 am

I shouldn't have made the edit in my previous original post. :razz

Watching this team is fun, win or lose. I believe the makings of a "winning culture" the likes of what Larry Brown accomplished is very doable. Coach Casey has them playing at a high "team" level. :hat

I'm still trying to get my head around who plays at what position. It does seem the modern game has taken more of a hybrid approach based on talent, athleticism, and match-ups than pigeonholing players into set positions.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:24 pm

Are there bright spots? Certainly.

However, I have significant doubt as to the front office's ability to build a cohesive team. I think this team is still three seasons away from being anything worth a damn.

By the way, Donovan Mitchell is averaging over 26 points a game this season for the 1st place Utah Jazz. Just thought I'd mention that. :)

If Van Gundy had drafted him, the Pistons would've been a perennial playoff team with a nucleus of Mitchell, Drummond, Harris (maybe - he still might've bolted in free agency), and Jackson.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:48 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:24 pm
...I have significant doubt as to the front office's ability to build a cohesive team. I think this team is still three seasons away from being anything worth a damn.
Starting from scratch with a young team growing together is a time-honored method. As I've pointed out before, in basketball one or two players can make the difference between bottom-dwellers and champions. It can happen in the course of a single season with the right drafting and coaching.
MWmetalhead wrote:By the way, Donovan Mitchell is averaging over 26 points a game this season for the 1st place Utah Jazz. Just thought I'd mention that. :)

If Van Gundy had drafted him, the Pistons would've been a perennial playoff team with a nucleus of Mitchell, Drummond, Harris (maybe - he still might've bolted in free agency), and Jackson.
And if we had drafted Carmelo instead of Darko.... :rolleyes
Van Gundy is gone, Weaver's a different animal. Dwell on the past if you wish, but the game exists in the present and future. :hat

- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:42 am

You bet I'm gonna dwell on the past; it helps explains the Pistons' current predicament.

I do have confidence that Weaver is more competent than Van Gundy from a personnel standpoint; I just hope Gores or Arn Tellem don't interfere.

Wake me up in three years when this team might actually be competitive.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu May 13, 2021 9:00 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:42 am
Wake me up in three years when this team might actually be competitive.
Well, Coach Casey has just been extended for that long.

- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic