Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Best/worst announcers of all time.

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
radioandtventhusiast

Re: Best/worst announcers of all time.

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:01 pm

Keith Jackson's one of the best for sure and could make any sport exciting.

Doc can get too hysterical at times, but he brings a lot of interesting facts during the broadcast. I prefer Gary as well.

Dave Strader was one of the best as well and is sadly missed on the broadcasts.

Bob Cole is possibly the best hockey play-by-play announcer in Canada's history. He retired a few years ago after many years on CBC.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:42 am

Forgot to mention the late game show announcer Gene Wood who did most of the late Mark Goodson Productions back then!!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:35 pm

Bob Cole, Dave Strader, Dick Enberg, Verne Lunquist (spelling?), and George Blaha (in his prime) are all among my favorites.

I agree with you, Matt. Gary Thorne and Bill Clement made a great team.

Been watching some Bad Boys era Pistons games on YouTube this week. During a good number of games for a season or two in the late 80's, George Blaha and Hubie Brown worked games together at WKBD. They were terrific! The production values of those broadcasts were also sensational for the time. Probably the best wall-to-wall telecast anywhere in the league, including those found on national cable networks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:43 pm

Here's another one for the worst list:
Neil Funk, current TV play by play voice for the Bulls. Holy shit, is his call of a game BORING. Monotone, gravelly voice.

Here's one for the best list:
Green Bay Packers radio man, Wayne Larrivee. Was the Chicago Bulls play-by-play man on TV during the 90's and also used to do a boatload of Big Ten basketball and football games back in the day.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:11 pm

Keith Jackson. Yeah, its hard not to disagree that he's among the best ever.

Ernie Harwell was legendary among all of MLB and network announcers were in awe of him. I remember one game he guest called on Fox and all Joe Buck could say was Ernie's voice just, "sounds like baseball."
Mind you, Joe Buck's dad was a longtime Cardinals announcer.

The only other baseball announcer who could come close or equal to Ernie was of course Vin Scully.

Pat Sommerall was a steady longtime voice that just made you think of the NFL.
Dick Enberg and Verne Lundquist were definitely at the same level.

Yes, Doc Emmerson is the best ever for hockey but, Bob Cole and Danny Gallivan are sentimental favorites for me.

I can't forget Jim McKay or Curt Gowdy either.

Of the contemporaries, those still on the air, its gotta be Al Michaels and Jim Nance. Smooth, steady and confident broadcasters.

Locally the best for me have to include:
George Kell
Bruce Martin
Paul Carey
George Blaha

And for you guys who are trying to name the best overall announcer/voice over guy.
There' no question...
Ernie Anderson.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:12 am

Also the late great Bob Ufer (Michigan Wolverines announcer with the horn) that cracked me up when I heard him for the first time in 1977 when the Wolverines beat Northwestern Wildcats 56 - 0!!

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon May 18, 2020 6:25 pm

I think the worst color commentator of all time was Dennis Miller when he was on MNF from 2000-2001. He was pretty much panned for his unfunny jokes and was let go after one season.

thekman

Post by thekman » Wed May 20, 2020 12:09 am

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:25 pm
I think the worst color commentator of all time was Dennis Miller when he was on MNF from 2000-2001. He was pretty much panned for his unfunny jokes and was let go after one season.
Two seasons, I believe. Miller, and Dan Fouts, were Al Michaels’ sidekicks in the booth for both 2000 and 2001, before being replaced by Madden in 2002.

Once MNF went from ABC to ESPN in 2006, the announcers were Tirico and Tony Kornheiser. I love Kornheiser on PTI, but I couldn’t stand him on MNF.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu May 21, 2020 8:36 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:25 pm
Yeah, Miller was a fish out of water for that gig, yet he beat Rush Limbaugh for the position. Rush later got the runner-up prize of doing ESPN's Sunday NFL Countdown show. He lasted four weeks.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:07 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:43 pm
Here's another one for the worst list:
Neil Funk, current TV play by play voice for the Bulls. Holy shit, is his call of a game BORING. Monotone, gravelly voice.

Here's one for the best list:
Green Bay Packers radio man, Wayne Larrivee. Was the Chicago Bulls play-by-play man on TV during the 90's and also used to do a boatload of Big Ten basketball and football games back in the day.
Neil retired earlier this season. Hopefully the new announcer will be an upgrade. His fans say he's a legend and his crtics say he's one of the worst announcers out there. I listened to a few of his calls and he's so monotone and not very pleasant to listen to.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic