Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

MLB Opening Day delayed at least two weeks

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!

ftballfan

Re: MLB Opening Day delayed at least two weeks

Post by ftballfan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:56 pm

Earliest I see games being played is around May 1. I predict the schedule will be chopped up and an entirely new schedule will be drawn up. Divisional opponents normally play 19-20 games against each other in six series. If MLB were to drop divisional opponents to four series consisting of a total of 13-14 games, that would reduce the schedule to around 138-140 games.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:04 pm

Bad move, but not surprised they would panic because of the media.

Owners lose money on a reduced schedule. Manfred may be on his way out as it is because of his handling of the Astros. He doesn’t want the owners even more angry with him.

I could see more off days eliminated, some day/night doubleheaders, and perhaps even canceling the All-Star game, which is pretty pointless these days.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:14 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:04 pm
Bad move, but not surprised they would panic because of the media.

Owners lose money on a reduced schedule. Manfred may be on his way out as it is because of his handling of the Astros. He doesn’t want the owners even more angry with him.

I could see more off days eliminated, some day/night doubleheaders, and perhaps even canceling the All-Star game, which is pretty pointless these days.
Bad move? You understand baseball especially skews older in terms of fans and they are most at risk right? You also understand that getting 30-40,000 people together is not so good with a very contagious illness right?

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:34 pm

The delay while warranted, it just screws up the season on so many levels. Should probably can the season to be quite frank. I think an abbreviated season cheats teams who potentially could have went to the playoffs but the lack of regularly scheduled games may prevent them from doing so. A few wins can make all the difference. Further there may still be municipalities who continue to have a ban on a certain sized crowds. How could a team play with such restrictions in place? I also want to point out that to me, it is ludicrous playing a game with NO crowd in the stands.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:58 pm

Rate This, you do understand the vast majority don’t die, right? You also understand most sick people don’t go to games, right?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:11 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:58 pm
Rate This, you do understand the vast majority don’t die, right? You also understand most sick people don’t go to games, right?
Yes most don’t die... most also don’t know they have it while spending 2-14 days infecting other people. So your argument just fell apart. Nice try.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:48 am

Grass will start growing soon, so you can watch that. It is more entertaining than baseball.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:11 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:48 am
Grass will start growing soon, so you can watch that. It is more entertaining than baseball.
I could respond with a hockey comment... Bryce blocked me last time I tried that. Watching Ice melt would be more interesting. That’s all I got.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:47 pm

Now pushed to mid May at the earliest...

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:16 pm

Ratings for the Summer Olympics will be through the roof, assuming they move forward like they're still claiming they will. It will be virtually the only sport on TV.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:44 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:16 pm
Ratings for the Summer Olympics will be through the roof, assuming they move forward like they're still claiming they will. It will be virtually the only sport on TV.
Ain't gonna happen. If there's one thing I learned during my visit to Tokyo is the good people of Japan have little tolerance for community spread disease. They can't with what amount to the entire population of California living in the greater Tokyo surrounds. No way they draw people from all points of the planet in during a pandemic. I suspect the only reason it's not been officially called off is they are just working through the finances and make-goods (so to speak)

DAC

Post by DAC » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:10 am

Sadly, what Lester the Nightly Fright is right. Olympic villages have always been an incubator for various transmitted diseases even under "normal" circumstances..

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:33 am

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:44 pm
bmw wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:16 pm
Ain't gonna happen. If there's one thing I learned during my visit to Tokyo is the good people of Japan have little tolerance for community spread disease. They can't with what amount to the entire population of California living in the greater Tokyo surrounds. No way they draw people from all points of the planet in during a pandemic. I suspect the only reason it's not been officially called off is they are just working through the finances and make-goods (so to speak)
For their coverups of COVID-19 late last year, China should be banned from the next Olympics (both summer and winter), whenever they are. The interesting thing is that China is scheduled to host the 2022 Winter Olympics. I see those games getting at minimum a location change and likely a year change (to either 2023 or 2024)

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:00 am

Matt wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:48 am
I enjoy going and watching baseball. The nice leisurely pace of it all. It's relaxing to just sit and enjoy the game.
Especially the spring day games. Not crowded, even when they were playing good.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic