Acceptable registrations in the queue through October 17 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

NBA suspends remainder of season

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
User avatar
TC Talks
Posts: 3692
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am

Re: NBA suspends remainder of season

Post by TC Talks » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:47 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:36 am
My GENERAL position is that the country can't just come to a grinding halt. I'm not contesting the fact that the virus spreads quickly and easily. I'd be curious to know what your specific metrics are for determining when large businesses or institutions should just shut down.
The country can and will do what is needed to keep people from dying. The pandemic scientists(who Trump fired) could have been much more precise, but they are gone. Your financial portfolio, your sense of order, your opinions as a "Google Scientist" really aren't going to be factored into the discussion.

My local hospital is bracing for April when both the snowbirds and spring breakers return. I would get comfortable that schools will not reopen after spring break...

A third issue? Trump bowed us out of the WHO test, so we don't have enough tests to know how many people have the disease in the US. Why do you think New York just decided to seek out its own testing solution? Because health officials know there are plenty of cases but not enough tests.

We are at the cusp of a big problem and no one really understands the scope because of the lack of leadership of one person.


© 2020 TC Talks Global Inc. All Rights Reserved

User avatar
Honeyman
Posts: 1423
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: NBA suspends remainder of season

Post by Honeyman » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:55 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:47 am
bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:36 am
My GENERAL position is that the country can't just come to a grinding halt. I'm not contesting the fact that the virus spreads quickly and easily. I'd be curious to know what your specific metrics are for determining when large businesses or institutions should just shut down.
The country can and will do what is needed to keep people from dying. The pandemic scientists(who Trump fired) could have been much more precise, but they are gone. Your financial portfolio, your sense of order, your opinions as a "Google Scientist" really aren't going to be factored into the discussion.

My local hospital is bracing for April when both the snowbirds and spring breakers return. I would get comfortable that schools will not reopen after spring break...

A third issue? Trump bowed us out of the WHO test, so we don't have enough tests to know how many people have the disease in the US. Why do you think New York just decided to seek out its own testing solution? Because health officials know there are plenty of cases but not enough tests.

We are at the cusp of a big problem and no one really understands the scope because of the lack of leadership of one person.
100% correct, TC.



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4391
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: NBA suspends remainder of season

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:33 pm

Not at all surprised. He was goofing around touching reporters' tape recorders, etc., too, as a joke just three days ago. What an asshat...


Rock 95.5 in Chicago is the worst sounding major market rock station in the history of corporate radio.

ftballfan
Posts: 552
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: NBA suspends remainder of season

Post by ftballfan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:51 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:33 pm
Not at all surprised. He was goofing around touching reporters' tape recorders, etc., too, as a joke just three days ago. What an asshat...
For that action, Gobert should be suspended the first few games of next season.

Also, if the season resumes with playoffs, the Jazz should be thrown out of the playoffs and replaced with one of the Trail Blazers, Pelicans, or Kings (even if those three would have to play a series of tiebreaker games as they're effectively tied)



fuzzpower
Posts: 770
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Re: NBA suspends remainder of season

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:01 pm

What a surprise, the two biggest panic posters Honeyman and TC Talks agree with each other.

You test the players involved, but you don’t suspend the season. Gobert wouldn’t have played anyway if he was feeling sick (athletes rarely do these days). What about the vast majority that don’t have it? What about the fact even if you do get it, the odds are heavily in your favor of surviving?



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4391
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: NBA suspends remainder of season

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:18 pm

You do realize what NBA basketball entails, don't you?

Sweaty, sleeveless men guarding each other with plenty of body contact.

Are you still oblivious to the fact people can carry the virus for as long as two weeks before any outward symptoms appear?

If the season were to continue, a boatload of players would likely contract the virus within days. Then, in the weeks ahead, rosters would be playing with only a tiny fraction of their normal talent, and that would ruin the great work some squads have put into building terrific W-L records to date. I don't want something fluky like that factoring into postseason seeding, draft lottery positioning, personnel on the floor for important playoff games, etc.

Postponing the season temporarily and resuming it later is a much better solution. But, hey, if you think depleted rosters with surrogate players from the G-league should be determining important outcomes near the end of the regular season, and games should continue as scheduled at full ticket price, I guess you are entitled to feel that way. Whether you know it or not, that - in essence - would be the consequence of what you are proposing.


Rock 95.5 in Chicago is the worst sounding major market rock station in the history of corporate radio.

fuzzpower
Posts: 770
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Re: NBA suspends remainder of season

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:29 pm

To be fair, how physical is the game these days? I am not into basketball, but I hear from many who are that the game is not physical anymore, and defense is next to non existent.

I could see the remainder of the season season being cancelled. In that case, do the players get paid? Surely the LeBrons of the world would be fine, but what about the last man on the bench, making league minimum, and probably bouncing back and forth from the D-League?

I do understand your argument about diluting talent, in fact that’s one reason I hate expanded playoffs in any league. However, illnesses and injuries happen all the time. It’s hard to say how many would contract the virus. I doubt any would die.



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4391
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: NBA suspends remainder of season

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:52 pm

It's not as physical as it once was - that's true. You cannot shove opposing players when boxing out under the basket, hack guys hard as they're attempting a lay-up, etc. On occasion, 1980's NBA basketball featured as much fighting as current day NHL hockey. Certain teams just hated one another. Some physical contact that used to be a regular personal foul in those days would qualify as technical foul today.

That said, there is still plenty of close contact. It just isn't aggressive contact like it was years ago.

Most NBA players are in great physical shape and are young. It's the people with whom they interact in hotels, locker room staff, etc. who would be at greatest risk. Some of the coaches and many referees are a bit up there in age.
In that case, do the players get paid? Surely the LeBrons of the world would be fine, but what about the last man on the bench, making league minimum, and probably bouncing back and forth from the D-League?
Salary is determined on a per-season basis. I am unsure what the Collective Bargaining Agreement states in these situations; that's a great question.

Player minimum salary is $898,310 for this season, *if* he is on a true NBA contract. Two-way contracts where players toggle back and forth between the G-League and NBA work differently. The below article uses numbers from last season, not this season, but gives a great explanation:
https://2ways10days.com/what-is-the-ear ... fb2bdd2459


Rock 95.5 in Chicago is the worst sounding major market rock station in the history of corporate radio.

Rate This
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:17 am

Re: NBA suspends remainder of season

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:12 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:52 pm
It's not as physical as it once was - that's true. You cannot shove opposing players when boxing out under the basket, hack guys hard as they're attempting a lay-up, etc. On occasion, 1980's NBA basketball featured as much fighting as current day NHL hockey. Certain teams just hated one another. Some physical contact that used to be a regular personal foul in those days would qualify as technical foul today.

That said, there is still plenty of close contact. It just isn't aggressive contact like it was years ago.

Most NBA players are in great physical shape and are young. It's the people with whom they interact in hotels, locker room staff, etc. who would be at greatest risk. Some of the coaches and many referees are a bit up there in age.
In that case, do the players get paid? Surely the LeBrons of the world would be fine, but what about the last man on the bench, making league minimum, and probably bouncing back and forth from the D-League?
Salary is determined on a per-season basis. I am unsure what the Collective Bargaining Agreement states in these situations; that's a great question.

Player minimum salary is $898,310 for this season, *if* he is on a true NBA contract. Two-way contracts where players toggle back and forth between the G-League and NBA work differently. The below article uses numbers from last season, not this season, but gives a great explanation:
https://2ways10days.com/what-is-the-ear ... fb2bdd2459
What about an infected player falling into the front row, infecting someone and it spreading from there? People are pretty close to these guys on the sideline...



MasterB
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Kalamazoo

Re: NBA suspends remainder of season

Post by MasterB » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:46 am

NBA did the right thing by suspending the season for a while I believe the playoffs will be played but I feel the reg season is over along with the NHL as well.


Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

User avatar
Lester The Nightfly
Posts: 952
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:19 pm

Re: NBA suspends remainder of season

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:13 am

fuzzpower wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:29 pm
To be fair, how physical is the game these days? I am not into basketball, but I hear from many who are that the game is not physical anymore, and defense is next to non existent.
Roger Murdock : ROGER MURDOCK. I'm an airline pilot.

Joey : I think you're the greatest, but my dad says you don't work hard enough on defense.

[Kareem gets angry]

Joey : And he says that lots of times, you don't even run down court. And that you don't really try... except during the playoffs.

Roger Murdock : [breaking character] The hell I don't! LISTEN, KID! I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night! Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes!


- Airplane, 1980



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4391
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: NBA suspends remainder of season

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:50 am

What about an infected player falling into the front row, infecting someone and it spreading from there? People are pretty close to these guys on the sideline...
Very true.


Rock 95.5 in Chicago is the worst sounding major market rock station in the history of corporate radio.

User avatar
Lester The Nightfly
Posts: 952
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:19 pm

Re: NBA suspends remainder of season

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:26 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:50 am
What about an infected player falling into the front row, infecting someone and it spreading from there? People are pretty close to these guys on the sideline...
Very true.
Maybe Spike Lee was onto something when he bailed on his court-side seat with his spat with the Knicks...



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4391
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: NBA suspends remainder of season

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:27 pm

The fact people actually pay money to watch the Knicks amazes me.


Rock 95.5 in Chicago is the worst sounding major market rock station in the history of corporate radio.

Rate This
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:17 am

Re: NBA suspends remainder of season

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:53 pm

Pistons player Christian Wood has tested positive for Covid-19



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic