Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

NBA suspends remainder of season

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
bmw

NBA suspends remainder of season

Post by bmw » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:41 pm

...and...the insanity continues.

https://www.nba.com/article/2020/03/11/ ... days-games
The NBA announced that a player on the Utah Jazz has preliminarily tested positive for COVID-19. The test result was reported shortly prior to the tip-off of tonight’s game between the Jazz and Oklahoma City Thunder at Chesapeake Energy Arena. At that time, tonight’s game was canceled. The affected player was not in the arena.

The NBA is suspending game play following the conclusion of tonight’s schedule of games until further notice. The NBA will use this hiatus to determine next steps for moving forward in regard to the coronavirus pandemic.

TC Talks

Re: NBA suspends remainder of season

Post by TC Talks » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:57 pm

18,000 spectators at a 30% infection rate (6000) x 2.5% mortality rate means 150 people would die.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:02 pm

Overreaction, but why am I not surprised. Of course, TC Talks is trying to get people to panic. I take it you don’t plan on going outside for a while?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:10 pm

Read this if you can read. You've already posted that you shouldn't have to pay for things like education, but be glad some of us are educated.

https://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/welln ... 6Tkx5M_MGM

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:13 pm

Read this article if you can read. Quarantines are more about public perception.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/0 ... ponse.html

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:25 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:13 pm
Read this article if you can read. Quarantines are more about public perception.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/0 ... ponse.html

Different execution method same idea. The article discusses preventing the spread of disease. How does this relate to cancellation of the NBA season? Flattening the curve works.
Two confirmed GTA cases are in voluntary “self-isolation” at home, rather than in hospital.

― Noam Chomsky

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:31 pm

When you think about it, why stop with the NBA? Baseball season is just around the corner. Large groups of spectators congregated in a small area. I think if some players contract this virus the MLB could follow suit.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:47 pm

TheForce wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:31 pm
When you think about it, why stop with the NBA? Baseball season is just around the corner. Large groups of spectators congregated in a small area. I think if some players contract this virus the MLB could follow suit.
One other thing noteworthy about MLB is the player's association contract is up this year. If the player's feel like the league is somehow compromising their health and well being by moving ahead with the schedule, it might bite the owners really hard come the end of the season and renegotiation time. I suppose it's not unimaginable that there's no baseball for two seasons.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:12 am

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:47 pm
TheForce wrote:
One other thing noteworthy about MLB is the player's association contract is up this year. If the player's feel like the league is somehow compromising their health and well being by moving ahead with the schedule, it might bite the owners really hard come the end of the season and renegotiation time. I suppose it's not unimaginable that there's no baseball for two seasons.
No baseball for two years? Now THAT would be amazing!

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:25 am

Matt wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:12 am
Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:47 pm
TheForce wrote:
No baseball for two years? Now THAT would be amazing!
Can you imagine no NFL for 2 years?

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:35 am

Well until we get a handle on this virus it might be a prudent thing to do. It would suck not having sports but if we're cancelling parades (Bay City St. Patty's parade for example) why not sports, concerts, and other large gatherings? Doesn't make sense to do one but not the other.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:45 am

Fuzzpower: When you have a player in a physical contact laden sport who has tested positive, that means many of his teammates and many players on teams the Jazz have played over the past two or three weeks have come into contact with the COVID-19.

When is the right moment to suspend the NBA season? Ten players testing positive? One hundred? Two hundred? You do realize the virus has the potential to spread quickly, right? Those players go places after they leave the arena. Those with pre-existing health conditions, especially seniors, are at much higher risk if they are exposed.

The article you referenced didn't state quarantines were unwarranted or ineffective. It also didn't state preventative measures shouldn't be undertaken to reduce exposure. What it did say is some of the mandatory quarantines in Toronto and Ottawa during SARS were excessively restrictive and arguably produced little detectable incremental public health benefit.

I think the NBA made the right decision in temporarily suspending the season since one of its players tested positive.

Doing nothing or next to nothing as BMW and Fuzzpower seem to be suggesting would be outright stupidity. (If I am unintentionally misrepresenting your positions on the matter, let us know.) I think the CDC and WHO know more about medicine than either of you.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:08 am

― Noam Chomsky

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:36 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:45 am
Doing nothing or next to nothing as BMW and Fuzzpower seem to be suggesting would be outright stupidity. (If I am unintentionally misrepresenting your positions on the matter, let us know.) I think the CDC and WHO know more about medicine than either of you.
My GENERAL position is that the country can't just come to a grinding halt. I'm not contesting the fact that the virus spreads quickly and easily. I'd be curious to know what your specific metrics are for determining when large businesses or institutions should just shut down.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:30 am

Jazz star Donovan Mitchell has tested positive for the coronavirus, league sources tell ESPN. Jazz players privately say that Rudy Gobert had been careless in the locker room touching other players and their belongings. Now a Jazz teammate has tested positive.

The censorship king from out of state.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic