Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Footage of Zavier Simpson lying his way out of a DUI.

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Honeyman

Footage of Zavier Simpson lying his way out of a DUI.

Post by Honeyman » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:17 am

The censorship king from out of state.

craig11152

Re: Footage of Zavier Simpson lying his way out of a DUI.

Post by craig11152 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:18 pm

Actually there was nothing wrong with the police work. If they can't place somebody in the car through a cops observation or a confession they can't just make arrests. The cop tried to get him to admit he was in the car which is all he could do. They could have harassed him about lying about his name but that still doesn't put him in the car. Arresting him for lying about his name has some serious downside...

1. cops harassing a black guy story-line
2. cops get lied to every single night.
3. If you make that arrest it takes you off the street for a couple hours of transporting and paperwork.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:27 pm

So you are saying any other black guy (or white for that matter) would have been treated the same way?

We have a guy who wrapped a car (later to be found to be owned by the AD) around a pole at 3am. He lied about his identity, and I gotta believe pretty much everybody living in Ann Arbor could tell you who this guy is. He lied about who was driving, and he "stumbled" according to other police records. Shouldn't he be given a sobriety test? Doesn't that seem like normal procedure?

Really, I shouldn't say for sure Simpson was drunk, because, I simply don't know - but everything added up is pretty reasonable cause to me to, at the very least, issue a sobriety test. Honestly, I'm shocked that it is not standard procedure in an accident, especially given the circumstances. The seat being too far forward for Simpson to be driving is not exactly evidence, either. It is very plausible that the seat was adjusted from the time the crash occurred to the time that the police showed up. That is pretty terrible investigative work. In my eyes, the officers on this one have some explaining to do.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:53 pm

Unless they can place him in the car they cannot give him a sobriety test.
They can place him in the car either by witnessing him in the car i.e. they pulled him over while driving, they found him sitting in the drivers seat. Alternatively they can try getting him to admit he was in the car. The cop tried to sneak up on that but couldn't get him to say he was in the car. The car wasn't registered in his name so they can't give him a breathalyzer any more than any other college kid standing hear by.
Remember the fact that he was driving came out later,not that night.

The seat being too far forward for Simpson to be driving is not exactly evidence, either. It is very plausible that the seat was adjusted from the time the crash occurred to the time that the police showed up. That is pretty terrible investigative work.
That wasn't investigative work. That was step one in trying to get him to admit he was in the car. Giving him some wiggle room to say he was there but not behind the wheel. If you can get him to say that then you can press him about who else was in the car and who was driving and where did they go. Then maybe he either admits he was driving or he throws a pal under the bus by lying even more.

And to be clear I'm not making this stuff up I talked to my daughter, a police Sargent and a son-in-law a police detective about how this works in general and with this case. And to be further clear neither of them are AAPD they are Washtenaw County.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:58 pm

You seem to know more about police work than I do craig, so I'll accept your words as facts.

I will ask you again if you are saying any other black guy would have been treated the same way? Do you not think he was given special treatment because of who he was?

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:08 pm

Isn't the WOTS he's dating Obama's kid? Maybe he was being a dutiful boyfriend and covering up for his woman.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:35 am

Honeyman wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:58 pm

I will ask you again if you are saying any other black guy would have been treated the same way? Do you not think he was given special treatment because of who he was?
I don't know that either way in this case.
I think any other black guy may have been treated the same by a good cop. You need to have real justification for throwing the cuffs on someone and hauling them to jail. It's my belief that most cops try to be good cops. But at the same time 2 cops trying to be "good cops" might have a different idea of what that means.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:08 am

Whatever. The whole story stinks, there are about 8 minutes of time missing in the video, and he was lying like a rug to the cops. Not a real biggee, at least nobody was hurt.

Personally, I like Simpsons game, and he was the one Wolvie who wasn't making excuses last year during one of MSU's 3 wins.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic