Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Only the Lions

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Only the Lions

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:08 pm

This is an excellent opinion piece from Jeff Seidel of the Detroit Free Press:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/ ... 677346001/

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:07 pm

I laughed when people said Martha Ford was different from the old man. The fact they still have his initials on the jerseys shows ineptness will never go away with these losers.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:01 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:08 pm
This is an excellent opinion piece from Jeff Seidel of the Detroit Free Press:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/ ... 677346001/
I guess, but what did it bring to the table that's new? It's pretty much recycling an annual thought-piece why the team is once again 3-10 'ish.

The Ford's won't sell the team because it earns money hand over fist regardless of the incompetency of ownership and management? Check.
The situation is unlikely to change because W's & L's might be the least important benchmark in the Ford's agenda. Check.
Much hand-wringing and deck chair shuffling will occur in the off-season. Check.

What I would like to see is a take down of those who enable this to happen. The Lions fans themselves. Granted, putting butts in the seats on Sunday just means the owners will be eating Kobe beef rather than Wagyu since it's the TV money that is the economic engine that fuels the beast, but there's a very powerful message that could be delivered if week after week after week the Monday official Lions NFL stats included an attendance figure of 5,000 or so.

Of course that won't happen, so any opinion piece (my two-bits included) are for naught. Enjoy the game if that's what you like, but the idea that the Lions are anything other than what they are seems like a waste of time, energy, ink and bandwidth.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:39 pm

What I would like to see is a take down of those who enable this to happen. The Lions fans themselves.
To Mr. Seidel's credit, he does criticize these enablers in his article!

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:19 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:39 pm
What I would like to see is a take down of those who enable this to happen. The Lions fans themselves.
To Mr. Seidel's credit, he does criticize these enablers in his article!
You're right in so far that he went, but by in large the Fords were his punching bag. There's certainly no expectation on my part that if given the choice to hold a billionaire's feet to the fire rather than call out his readership on their complicity, he's going to choose the path that offers the least blow-back from the folks who feed his bulldog. It's made for a convenient narrative for a lot of years. That's the only reason I chimed in on this, why his stance is of little impact or consequence and why I'm not sending him a dozen roses for his effort.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:38 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:01 pm
The Ford's won't sell the team because it earns money hand over fist regardless of the incompetency of ownership and management? Check.
The situation is unlikely to change because W's & L's might be the least important benchmark in the Ford's agenda. Check.
Yesterday, Rod Wood confirmed that the Ford family won't be selling anytime soon. He says "the Ford family plans to own the team and there's [succession] plans in place." Great. Sounds like a recipe for many years of losing to come.

Too bad the fans can't launch some kind of hostile takeover.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:15 am

From now on, Lions fans during every home game should relentlessly chant, "SELL THE TEAM!"

Only problem is - this team is cursed. If it were to be sold, the new owner would quite possibly be every bit as incompetent (if not more so) than the Ford Family.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:21 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:15 am
From now on, Lions fans during every home game should relentlessly chant, "SELL THE TEAM!"

Only problem is - this team is cursed. If it were to be sold, the new owner would quite possibly be every bit as incompetent (if not more so) than the Ford Family.
Good point. It's not like idiot owners are a rarity in any league. It seems at times it's a prerequisite.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:08 am

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:21 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:15 am

Good point. It's not like idiot owners are a rarity in any league. It seems at times it's a prerequisite.
See Washington for another example of an incompetent owner in the NFL

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:10 pm

Yeah, I'd rather have Martha Ford than Dan Snyder.

Not only is Snyder a terrible owner, he is a terrible human being.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:38 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:10 pm
Yeah, I'd rather have Martha Ford than Dan Snyder.

Not only is Snyder a terrible owner, he is a terrible human being.
Stan Kroenke wins that contest hands down and does so in all four major sports leagues as well as overseas.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:12 am

What about Dean Spanos?

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:24 pm

14-point lead.

Evaporated.

Green Bay's only lead of the day at 0:00 in the 4th quarter.

:rollin

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:29 pm

Gotta love that clock management on the Lions' last possession. :lol

That was one of the quickest 3-and-outs I've ever witnessed!

Hey, I'm THRILLED the Lions lost; it helps their draft standing. The fact they lost via walk-off field goal (just like at Lambeaux) made it even better!

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:23 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:29 pm
Gotta love that clock management on the Lions' last possession. :lol

That was one of the quickest 3-and-outs I've ever witnessed!

Hey, I'm THRILLED the Lions lost; it helps their draft standing. The fact they lost via walk-off field goal (just like at Lambeaux) made it even better!
The Lions end up with the #3 pick. The Bengals are #1 and the Redskins are #2

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic