Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Only the Lions

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
bmw

Re: Only the Lions

Post by bmw » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:34 am

I'm not sure why I'm even reading the lecturing of someone who advocates tanking for better draft picks. But I'll respond anyways:

I think you're significantly under-estimating the effects of a loss like that first Green Bay game. First place vs last place in the division. Now should they have been able to mentally move on? Yes, any professional sports team should. But when you have a culture of losing that has existed as long as it has in Detroit, and a culture of (at least a perception of) always being on the short end of the stick of bad officiating, the "here we go again" negative vibe creeps in and really demoralizes a team.

So no, I don't buy into the notion that the wheels were coming off prior to the Green Bay game. At that time, they were 2-1-1, had just lost a very close and competitive game to KC, and Stafford's stats were off the charts. Has the defense sucked all year? Yes, it has. And I've been critical of it in this forum. I've also been critical not only this year, but in past years, of Ford family ownership.

Aside from their deficiencies on defense, why does Detroit blow leads every 4th quarter? It is largely due to horrific play-calling on both sides of the ball and some of the consistently worst clock management I've ever seen by any team in the league. Combine that with a culture of losing and you're just not going to consistently win the close games.

I also think that Matt Patricia has one of the same problems that Caldwell had: lack of emotion, both on the sideline and during press conferences. I don't think he's the right fit for a team that needs to instill a culture of winning. And speaking of the need for a culture of winning, your advocacy for intentionally losing "meaningless" games does NOT help.

format this

Post by format this » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:13 am

Let me throw this name at you, and see if it sticks on the wall.

PJ Fleck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:06 am

Why would Fleck in his right mind take this job? There are better openings out there. Plus, I don’t see him bolting Minnesota so quickly. If he can continue turning around that program, he’s set for life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic