Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

2019 March Madness

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
matt1

Re: 2019 March Madness

Post by matt1 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:54 pm

Texas Tech beat the Michigan Wolverines, NOW has beaten Gonzala to reach the Final Four for the first time in college history!!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:59 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:40 pm
I think MSU is going to knock off Duke.
After those two down to the last shot wins Duke had will their luck run out? Or was there some sort of wake up call?
I feel like either MSU will win a close game or lose a NOT close game.
I'm not sure which I prefer. My wife is a big Sparty fan so I will remain outwardly nuetral.

I no longer directly engage trolls

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:39 am

The individual performance of Purdue's Carson Edwards last night was one for the books...WOW! I'm going to say something at which I cringe every time I hear it from someone else -- what a shame! What a shame that after such single-handed determination to effect another big upset that it was he who threw the errant pass for such an anticlimax to a game which will be long remembered...perhaps with infamy among Purdue fans.

Earlier, Texas Tech took Gonzaga completely out of their game. Despite the non-call of the foot being out-of-bounds, one had the feeling that Tech was destined and certainly deserved to win.

A #1 seed met its tournament demise last night, another on Friday, I so look forward to yet another falling this afternoon. :mrgreen:

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:26 pm

Now, you guys know why I filled out no brackets this year!

That Texas Tech team looks damn good. Ditto Auburn - a true surprise for many.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:10 pm

I called it. MSU wins. Craig was right about MSU winning a close one!

Duke finally lost an extremely close game in this tournament.

MSU looks as good as anyone right now. I think they have a good shot of winning it all.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:34 pm

Stupid Kentucky knocked me out of a shot at $13,000 in a Survivor pool (needed them to beat Auburn). We were down to 83 people out of 2500 and I still had MSU and Virginia left as legal picks moving forward (making the MSU win over Duke sting even more). Had KY won, I woulda been 3 games away from $13k, AND would have had the luxury of picking either Virginia or MSU to win it all.

Last year I made it down to 4 people left in the same, similar sized pool and Chicago Loyola did me in.

I guess overall 83rd place and 4th place out of 2500 participants is pretty impressive, even though I didn't win a penny.
Last edited by bmw on Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:37 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:38 am
First things first! For what you suggest, Sparty will have to beat #1 overall seed Duke in the East Region and Texas Tech will have to knock off Gonzaga, the #1 seed in the West.
As I was saying, the MSU vs. Texas Tech matchup..... :blink

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:13 pm

Saturday night at 8:50, Michigan State against Texas Tech.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:28 am

bmw wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:37 pm
moldyoldie wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:38 am
First things first! For what you suggest, Sparty will have to beat #1 overall seed Duke in the East Region and Texas Tech will have to knock off Gonzaga, the #1 seed in the West.
As I was saying, the MSU vs. Texas Tech matchup..... :blink
When you're right, you're right! :mrgreen:

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:16 am

Given the last 3 games Duke played I have to wonder if they were a tad overrated by the basketball world?
The one and done nature of the tournament aside, they arguably should have been 1-2 at best and perhaps 0-3 in the last 3 games. MSU beat them UCF should have beat them and Va Tech should have gone to OT where who knows what would have happened.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:45 am

All I'm hearing on the national shows is how the nation is being deprived of seeing the mighty one-and-done freshmen Dukies in the Final Four. Well, BOO F---ING HOO! :evil:
You're gonna eat your broccoli and drink your milk AND YOU'RE GONNA LIKE IT!

(See what I did there? :mrgreen: )

- Sydney J. Harris

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:53 am

My lovely Sparty wife is wondering what all the Zion Williamson fuse is about. I had nothing to offer except what I hear from the radio so called "experts". So today I looked at his stats and I scratch my head. The only stat the guy is highly rated on is 2 point shot percentage at #2. The rest of his stats are good but not great...except free throw % where he is pretty miserable. His percentage from the free throw line doesn't sniff the top 250 players.
Looking at his stats he strikes me as a very good player but I don't get the "once in a generation" hype.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:31 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:53 am
My lovely Sparty wife is wondering what all the Zion Williamson [fuss] is about.
[...]
Looking at his stats he strikes me as a very good player but I don't get the "once in a generation" hype.
Stats never tell the whole story. Consider his size, supreme athleticism, and the fact he's still just a "kid" -- his upside potential is enormous!
He's pretty much considered the consensus #1 overall pick in this year's NBA draft.

- Sydney J. Harris

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:52 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:31 pm

Stats never tell the whole story. Consider his size, supreme athleticism, and the fact he's still just a "kid" -- his upside potential is enormous!
He's pretty much considered the consensus #1 overall pick in this year's NBA draft.
I understand his upside potential, I understand his #1 draft pick status
As to stats of course they don't tell the whole story but stats do matter in that stats measure what you do on the floor.
Right now his team is done and his team looked very beatable in their last 3 games. Sorry but I think the Zion hype may be as misguided as the Duke hype was.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest Zion will be a good/great but not MVP good/great player in his NBA career,

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:31 am

craig11152 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:52 pm
moldyoldie wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:31 pm

I understand his upside potential, I understand his #1 draft pick status
As to stats of course they don't tell the whole story but stats do matter in that stats measure what you do on the floor.
Right now his team is done and his team looked very beatable in their last 3 games. Sorry but I think the Zion hype may be as misguided as the Duke hype was.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest Zion will be a good/great but not MVP good/great player in his NBA career,
FWIW, he's being compared to LeBron James, one who never even competed at the collegiate level. While LeBron usually works facing the basket, Zion looks as if he could be a powerful force down low in the post as well as up high. I think his talents were well on display in the MSU game.

The Duke "hype" was predicated on a bunch of entering freshmen considered to be the greatest recruiting class since the days of UM's Fab Five and assumed to be "one-and-done", bound for the top ten in the next NBA draft. Still, they are just freshmen! I think MSU's maturity and poise on the court were certainly determining factors in eking out a one-point victory.

- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic