Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

2019 NFL Draft

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Mr.Transistor

Re: 2019 NFL Draft

Post by Mr.Transistor » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:24 am

I gave up on the Lions about 6 years ago. I just cheer for the guys on my fantasy football team that's it. I don't spend my Sunday afternoons any longer rooting these guys on only to be disillusioned at the end of the game.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:42 am

moldyoldie wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:11 am
Wow, we drafted not one, but TWO tight ends to add to free agent signing Jesse James.

That 7th round TE pick may seem somewhat harmless/irrelevant since 7th rounders rarely matter. But the way I look at it every once in a while a 7th rounder makes a difference and does matter. So why wouldn't you take that flyer on a position you didn't just draft in the 1st round?
It strikes me as somebody not thinking things through very logically.

I no longer directly engage trolls

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:50 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:42 am
moldyoldie wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:11 am
Wow, we drafted not one, but TWO tight ends to add to free agent signing Jesse James.

That 7th round TE pick may seem somewhat harmless/irrelevant since 7th rounders rarely matter. But the way I look at it every once in a while a 7th rounder makes a difference and does matter. So why wouldn't you take that flyer on a position you didn't just draft in the 1st round?
Your use of a double negative has me a bit confused. FWIW, I don't care how many tight ends we carry as long as we win some games doing it. :lol I've read we've also signed still two more tight ends as UDFAs, Nate Becker out of Miami of Ohio and Donald Parham out of Stetson; the latter is listed at 6'8" and 240 lb.! It's well-known new offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell loves using multi-tight end sets, one inline and another split out, perhaps still another as an H-back. Besides, I've read the team is beginning to lose patience with the inconsistency of Michael Roberts.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:17 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:50 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:42 am

Your use of a double negative has me a bit confused.
It made sense to me :blink :lol

What I was trying to say was you should take that 7th round crap shoot on a different position than the one you covered in free agency and the 1st round. That way if the Football Gods are going to bless that 7th round pick its not somebody stealing a job from your 1st round pick.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:23 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:17 pm
What I was trying to say was you should take that 7th round crap shoot on a different position than the one you covered in free agency and the 1st round. That way if the Football Gods are going to bless that 7th round pick its not somebody stealing a job from your 1st round pick.
With the new OC there'll be plenty of tight end work to go around with possibly zero carry-over in personnel from last season.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:38 pm

Why would you not draft a QB at any point?

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:55 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:38 pm
Why would you not draft a QB at any point?
Stafford's locked in at QB for at least this season and probably next season. Two free agents were signed to compete for backup and emergency QB positions, Connor Cook and Tom Savage. There'll probably be other QBs available when cuts are made. In my opinion, there weren't any QBs worth wasting a draft pick on when the team has so many other needs and we already have an established QB who is only 30 years old. The last three developmental QBs the Lions drafted amounted to nothing.

I will say after last season's relatively poor showing by Stafford, he'll be in "prove it" mode. My fear is that he won't jibe with a new scheme installed by incoming offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, much as he didn't jibe with Joe Lombardi's a few years back. However, unlike with Lombardi, Bevell's scheme promises to be more run-heavy and ball control-centric, putting less pressure on the QB. We can only wait and see.

- Sydney J. Harris

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:02 pm

Established? Stafford has been mediocre to bad most of his career. Ten years, and still no playoff wins. That’s unacceptable, especially with the money he is making. I don’t see what people see in him.

Tom Savage and Connor Cook are beyond awful. They were out of work most of last season, when even Mark Sanchez ended up with a job. That tells you something.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:30 am

fuzzpower wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:02 pm
Established? Stafford has been mediocre to bad most of his career. Ten years, and still no playoff wins. That’s unacceptable, especially with the money he is making. I don’t see what people see in him.
Look who he's playing for! :lol He can't help that he was drafted #1 overall by the most ineptly run franchise in the league's history! He's certainly been the best Lions QB in all the years I've been following the team which extend back to the days of George Wilson! One remotely possible exception may be Greg Landry before his knee injuries; that 1970 team he QBed that went 10-4 during the season and lost 5-0 to Dallas in the playoffs probably would've been near the top of the so-called power rankings had they been in existence. Of course, it was a very different game back then -- nearly always running on first and second down, then passing on third down only if warranted. Stafford would've gone batty! :lol

Fans and pundits alike simply put too much credence in the primacy of the quarterback when football is the ultimate team sport. On every single play, everyone on the field has a job that often determines its success or failure.

Look at some of the QBs who've lead their teams to the Super Bowl -- Trent Dilfer, Stan Humphries, Chris Chandler, Matt Hasselbeck, Kerry Collins, Rex Grossman, Nick "f-ing" Foles! There isn't one of these guys I'd trade for in their prime even-up for Matthew Stafford.

- Sydney J. Harris

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:19 pm

I would take Foles instead of Stafford in a heartbeat. He can actually win big games and doesn’t blame others when he has come up short.

Stafford is a fraud, and I am sick of people acting like he can do no wrong and it is always someone else’s fault. He had a chance to leave the organization but instead decided to sign an extension, because he knows no other team is dumb enough to pay him what the Lions were offering.

It’s sad when Erik Kramer is the best QB the team has had since Bobby Layne left.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:21 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:19 pm
I would take Foles instead of Stafford in a heartbeat.
I was gonna ask. :razz :lol
fuzzpower wrote: It’s sad when Erik Kramer is the best QB the team has had since Bobby Layne left.
I thought about Kramer, but he was essentially a one-year wonder for us. Not a bad career.
Last edited by moldyoldie on Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Sydney J. Harris

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:23 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:02 pm
I see an OK QB most of his career. Last year was clearly not good. I don't know if he will rebound or its a downhill thing.
I am willing to discuss any of his skills and status except playoff wins and loses for the simple reason an NFL QB is not the same as an MLB pitcher or NHL goalie. A pitcher or a goalie can at times almost literally win a game single-handedly. All they need is one batter to hit a home run or one forward to put the puck in the net and they can theoretically handle the rest. A quarterback can not do that. Every time the ball is snapped they need players to block, receivers to run routes and catch the ball, running backs to find the hole and hang on to the ball, a QB needs way more help every time the ball is snapped.
I'm not saying pitchers and goalies don't get help or don't ever need help because clearly they do. But at times they can win without help and I don't think you can ever say that about a QB.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:58 pm

Kramer’s one year wonder is better than ten years of Stafford’s ineptness.

Playoff wins and losses do matter. If Stafford could actually finish drives in those games instead of 3 and out or throwing picks, they would have won at least one. The QB is the leader of the offense, and Stafford does not have those skills. For being one of the highest paid QBs in the league, that is unacceptable.

The Lions should have drafted a QB and had him actually compete for the starting job, to give Stafford pressure and possibly improve. Instead, they get retread losers who are no threat, meaning he can stink it up again with no danger of losing his job.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed May 01, 2019 8:09 am

fuzzpower wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:58 pm
The Lions should have drafted a QB and had him actually compete for the starting job, to give Stafford pressure and possibly improve. Instead, they get retread losers who are no threat, meaning he can stink it up again with no danger of losing his job.
Hypothetically, which QB should they have drafted to compete with Stafford, assuming they stayed at #8 -- Haskins? Lock? Or should they have traded for Rosen or perhaps even traded the farm to move up to #1 for Murray, the one most compared to new OC Bevell's former protégé Russell Wilson?

There seems to be a consensus that Rosen was a steal for the 'Phins, costing only a second and a fifth. A couple Dolphin fans I know are very happy! As a result, there's word that recently signed 36-year old journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick might suddenly become available.

Better yet, should they have dished out a four-year contract worth $88 million to sign Nick Foles, cut Stafford, take the $30 million cap hit, destroy the team's salary structure and be non-competitive for years?

- Sydney J. Harris

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed May 01, 2019 10:09 am

The team is non competitive with Stafford. If it means winning, yes, I would have gone after Foles. Take the hit.

Murray looks like a H*** bust, so not him. Lock looks better than Haskins.

No to Fitzpatrick. He is good for two games a year then sucks... pretty much like Stafford.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic