Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The most unpardonable sin in Detroit sports over the past decade. Your nominee please?

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

The most unpardonable sin in Detroit sports over the past decade. Your nominee please?

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:52 am

Here's mine:
Stan Van Gundy choosing to draft Luke - I can't play defense to save my ass and I also have a limited offensive repertoire - Kennard over Donovan Mitchell.

Had the Pistons drafted Mitchell, they would be a perennial playoff team.

There would be no discussion about whether or not the Pistons *can* make the playoffs. Instead, the discussion would be - "how high of a seed can the Pistons conceivably land?"

By passing on Mitchell, who by the way thought damn near for sure he was going to be selected by Detroit, the Pistons are now guaranteed to be stuck in mediocrity for as far as the eye can see.

For those not paying attention (i.e. 99.9% of us given the fact there was playoff NFL football last night), I read moments ago that Mitchell scored 24 points in the second half of last night's Pistons - Jazz game. The Pistons blew an 18 point lead and wound up losing. Mitchell is a BIG REASON for that fate.

Deleted User 8570

Re: The most unpardonable sin in Detroit sports over the past decade. Your nominee please?

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:28 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:52 am
Here's mine:
Stan Van Gundy choosing to draft Luke - I can't play defense to save my ass and I also have a limited offensive repertoire - Kennard over Donovan Mitchell.

Had the Pistons drafted Mitchell, they would be a perennial playoff team.

There would be no discussion about whether or not the Pistons *can* make the playoffs. Instead, the discussion would be - "how high of a seed can the Pistons conceivably land?"

By passing on Mitchell, who by the way thought damn near for sure he was going to be selected by Detroit, the Pistons are now guaranteed to be stuck in mediocrity for as far as the eye can see.

For those not paying attention (i.e. 99.9% of us given the fact there was playoff NFL football last night), I read moments ago that Mitchell scored 24 points in the second half of last night's Pistons - Jazz game. The Pistons blew an 18 point lead and wound up losing. Mitchell is a BIG REASON for that fate.
If you blow an 18 point lead it’s because of poor defense causing offensive production and not the other way around, they blew it but Mitchell didn’t cause it at all...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: The most unpardonable sin in Detroit sports over the past decade. Your nominee please?

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:57 am

The Pistons' D sucks; you are absolutely right. Their porous defense allows great players like Mitchell to "take over the game" come crunch time.

Look at Plus-Minus, I must say the performances of Jackson and Stanley Johnson this season are truly appalling.

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/detroit-p ... ISC&time=0

ESPN calculates the stat the same way, they simply divide the final result by 100 to convert it to a more user friendly index. Look at how piss poor Reggie Jackson ranks compared to the league's other point guards:

https://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/position/1

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:44 am

The continued employment of Ken Holland.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:03 pm

I'm not a basketball fan, so your nominee may indeed top mine. I have no way of knowing. I do follow baseball and hockey quite religiously. In my opinion, the Tigers letting Max Scherzer walk away into free agency has to be right up there.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:21 pm

My nomination goes to any person who bought a ticket to a Detroit Lions game, attending with the hope that they might witness greatness on the road to a Super Bowl. The Lions have been a laughing stock for over 60 years now, and it amazes me that despite how bad they suck week after week, year after year, decade after decade, that they still routinely fill the seats at Ford Field. I don't know how much more punishment their fan base can withstand. And from what I've seen this year, I don't have any hopes that they'll win a playoff game for at least the next 5 years.

Words cannot describe just how pathetic of an organization this is. MW came the closest last year when he referred to them as "an act in futility." But now even that seems a tad generous.

The Lions organization has no business making a profit on their joke-of-a-product that they continue to produce. So I say it is an unpardonable sin for fans to continue to give them money.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:07 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:03 pm
In my opinion, the Tigers letting Max Scherzer walk away into free agency has to be right up there.
You have to remember one thing - we offered him a 6 year, $144 million dollar contract and he turned us down in no time. He was looking at taxes and DC was his best bet. Additionally, he moved to the State of Florida at the same time to avoid income tax

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:42 pm

Ken Holland's contract renewal definitely makes my top three!

I tip my cap to BMW as well. Outstanding post. :)

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:56 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:21 pm
My nomination goes to any person who bought a ticket to a Detroit Lions game, attending with the hope that they might witness greatness on the road to a Super Bowl. The Lions have been a laughing stock for over 60 years now, and it amazes me that despite how bad they suck week after week, year after year, decade after decade, that they still routinely fill the seats at Ford Field. I don't know how much more punishment their fan base can withstand. And from what I've seen this year, I don't have any hopes that they'll win a playoff game for at least the next 5 years.

Words cannot describe just how pathetic of an organization this is. MW came the closest last year when he referred to them as "an act in futility." But now even that seems a tad generous.

The Lions organization has no business making a profit on their joke-of-a-product that they continue to produce. So I say it is an unpardonable sin for fans to continue to give them money.
You don’t necessarily go to see them win... I wonder what percentage go to see the most entertaining and exciting franchise in football? When you stop to think about it almost every week something spectacularly bad happens to the Lions and these folks can be telling there kids “I was there when Jim Schwartz challenged an automatically reviewed score and they couldn’t review it as a result”... I mean where else can you get the sort of epic failure and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory but Detroit?

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:26 am

My nomination would be the Tigers spending every last prospect and innumerable dollars on "winning it all now"...and not winning! An offshoot of this would be the hiring of a rookie manager (Brad Ausmus) to lead a veteran-laden team. I know some place the blame on Dombrowski, but I still believe Mr I had his fingerprints all over the decisions to build a team of mashers ill-suited to the modern game and Comerica Park, and also the hiring of Ausmus.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:28 pm

The Tigers trading Willie Horton for Steve Foucault.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:01 pm

Willie108 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:28 pm
The Tigers trading Willie Horton for Steve Foucault.
Re-read the title of the thread...s-l-o-w-l-y. :lol

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:24 am

Thanks again, Stan Van Gundy!!

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 577794002/
Donovan Mitchell continues to haunt the Pistons.

He had an offensive explosion in the matchup on Jan. 5 as the Jazz overcame an 18-point first-half deficit to get the win over the Pistons.

Mitchell had a reprise, scoring seven of his 28 points down the stretch, helping the Jazz take a 100-94 victory over the Pistons on Monday night at Vivint Smart Home Arena.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:59 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:24 am
Thanks again, Stan Van Gundy!!

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 577794002/
Donovan Mitchell continues to haunt the Pistons.

He had an offensive explosion in the matchup on Jan. 5 as the Jazz overcame an 18-point first-half deficit to get the win over the Pistons.

Mitchell had a reprise, scoring seven of his 28 points down the stretch, helping the Jazz take a 100-94 victory over the Pistons on Monday night at Vivint Smart Home Arena.
He also plays for Utah. We don’t beat Utah. Not even the 2004-2008 teams could beat Utah.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:26 pm

I forget who the pitcher was for Detroit, but he got screwed out of a no-hitter and the umpire who called it even admitted it was the wrong call.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic