Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan sign stealing scandal

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Rate This

Re: Michigan sign stealing scandal

Post by Rate This » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:03 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:34 pm
There was no bluff called. The decision was made to not detract from the team with protracted legal bullshit. The fact of the matter is we don't know what Michigan got in return.
You’re an imbecile.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:30 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:03 pm
Matt wrote:
There was no bluff called. The decision was made to not detract from the team with protracted legal bullshit. The fact of the matter is we don't know what Michigan got in return.
You’re an imbecile.
Nope. Let's see how everything plays out.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:56 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:30 pm
Rate This wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:03 pm
Matt wrote:
You’re an imbecile.
Nope. Let's see how everything plays out.
They pulled out because they knew they would lose. You don’t get that far and then surrender like that unless you know you’ll be embarrassed. The detract from the team line is boilerplate spin. It’s a fig leaf.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:26 pm

The Big Ten was likely going to unleash on the Michigan football program in court. The university likely caved to avoid embarrassment and possible future penalties from the conference (and to avoid risk of giving the NCAA additional fodder).

I predicted from the get-go that the university was unlikely to prevail at an injunction hearing (see my 9:00p post of November 10). The bylaws give the conference pretty wide ranging discretion as to sportsmanship policy matters.

When Harbaugh said publicly he would like to testify in court, it wouldn't surprise me if U-M's lawyers got nervous.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:33 pm

There was a compromise. Harbaugh takes his 3 games and the BIG TEN CLOSES ITS INVESTIGATION...if ESPN, WUOM among others are to be believed.
I no longer directly engage trolls

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:36 pm

The only reason U-M would accept such a deal is if it were nervous as to what the conference might uncover.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:38 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:36 pm
The only reason U-M would accept such a deal is if it were nervous as to what the conference might uncover.
And I would argue that with the NCAA investigation still going on they really aren’t out of the woods and have reason to remain nervous.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:40 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:33 pm
There was a compromise. Harbaugh takes his 3 games and the BIG TEN CLOSES ITS INVESTIGATION...if ESPN, WUOM among others are to be believed.
All the Big Ten agreed to was to let the NCAA investigation play out as usual, and reserve the right for more punishment if more info comes along.
The censorship king from out of state.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:40 pm

It is possible the university was concerned testimony in court might've given the NCAA additional ammunition.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:42 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:40 pm
It is possible the university was concerned testimony in court might've given the NCAA additional ammunition.
I don't believe that to be the case, but we will see.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:49 pm

Honeyman wrote:
craig11152 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:33 pm
All the Big Ten agreed to was to let the NCAA investigation play out as usual, and reserve the right for more punishment if more info comes along.
That is contrary to reports I read and heard from WUOM and ESPN.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:51 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:42 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
I don't believe that to be the case, but we will see.
They shot someone on fifth Avenue and threw them in a woodchipper… and you don’t see anything… this reeks of an admission by surrender of some sort of guilt. My god man…. Get some air.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:55 pm

Per the AP (michiganradio.org simply republished the AP story):
University leaders made the somewhat surprising decision to settle the case because the Big Ten would not agree to reduce the suspension to two games, the school didn’t want to drag the fight into court and negotiated for the conference to close its investigation, according to a person familiar with the situation. The person spoke Thursday with The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to share the school’s rationale.
I added the boldface formatting above; that remark suggests to me counsel for the university thought the hearing scheduled for Friday would not go well. Perhaps there was a pre-hearing conference with the judge?

Per Angelique of The Detroit News:
The agreement made Thursday with the Big Ten ensures the conference would only consider imposing any additional penalties if the NCAA determines at the conclusion of its investigation that a member of the Michigan football coaching staff was aware of Stalions' activities and tried to conceal them or was directly involved in helping him.
If Angelique's reporting is accurate, Honeyman is absolutely correct that the conference does reserve the right to issue additional punishment under certain circumstances.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:13 pm

if the NCAA determines at the conclusion of its investigation that a member of the Michigan football coaching staff was aware of Stalions' activities and tried to conceal them or was directly involved in helping him

Clearly somebody was aware. He wasn't sending in signals to the defense all on his own. But using his information is a little different than concealing it. And helping him gather information is a little different than using the information.
The Associated Press says he never sent any invoices to the University to be repaid.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:17 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:13 pm
if the NCAA determines at the conclusion of its investigation that a member of the Michigan football coaching staff was aware of Stalions' activities and tried to conceal them or was directly involved in helping him

Clearly somebody was aware. He wasn't sending in signals to the defense all on his own. But using his information is a little different than concealing it. And helping him gather information is a little different than using the information.
The Associated Press says he never sent any invoices to the University to be repaid.
He easily could have been ordered not to send any.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic