Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Lions 2022

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Detroit Lions 2022

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:27 pm

I was a little surprised by that decision, too.

Justin Rogers hated the decision:
For the second time this season, a coaching decision to attempt a long field goal in the fourth quarter nearly cost the Detroit Lions a game, and in this case, potentially a playoff spot.
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 738557007/

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:45 pm

Saleh with a minute to play in regulation and all three timeouts in his pocket, with the ball still on the Jets' own end of the field, allowed 25 full seconds to run off the game clock between snaps. What a fucking idiot.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:49 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:45 pm
Saleh with a minute to play in regulation and all three timeouts in his pocket, with the ball still on the Jets' own end of the field, allowed 25 full seconds to run off the game clock between snaps. What a fucking idiot.
He addressed it...very weakly...in his post-game, saying with three time-outs that time isn't really a factor. :rolleyes Y'see, other coaches make bonehead decisions. :razz
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:54 pm

Indeed. One of the worst clock managements I've seen in years. He cost his team a (better) chance at winning.

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:53 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:51 am
bmw wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:41 pm
They basically control their own destiny now.
It's not quite that simple. Even if the Lions win out, those other teams vying for a spot need to do some losing, but you're right, the odds certainly improve greatly.
I'd lay decent odds (at least) on the Lions getting one heck of a Christmas present, as all three of their closest playoff contenders will be on the road to face a double-digit-win team: The Giants go to Minnesota, Washington to San Francisco, Seattle to Kansas City. Even one of those three winning would be a surprise.

The only way we don't move up to take the spot currently held by Washington next week is if we manage to blow it, too.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:19 am

Mike wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:53 pm
moldyoldie wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:51 am
bmw wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:41 pm
They basically control their own destiny now.
It's not quite that simple. Even if the Lions win out, those other teams vying for a spot need to do some losing, but you're right, the odds certainly improve greatly.
I'd lay decent odds (at least) on the Lions getting one heck of a Christmas present, as all three of their closest playoff contenders will be on the road to face a double-digit-win team: The Giants go to Minnesota, Washington to San Francisco, Seattle to Kansas City. Even one of those three winning would be a surprise.

The only way we don't move up to take the spot currently held by Washington next week is if we manage to blow it, too.
A potential monkey wrench in this scenario is that the Vikings, Niners, and Chiefs have clinched their divisions and may be playing their scrubs.
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:29 am

I'm fearful Green Bay wins out and we wind up finishing 8 - 9 on the year.

I won't go so far as to say that is my prediction (yet); I'm just fearful of that scenario playing out.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:42 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:29 am

I won't go so far as to say that is my prediction (yet); I'm just fearful of that scenario playing out.
I'm just glad the Rams lost. :blink
- Sydney J. Harris

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:13 am

Chiefs, 49ers, and Vikings are all still playing for seeding and as much home field advantage as possible (and all are still alive for a 1st round bye), so they won't be going into 2nd stringer mode, at least not this coming weekend.

The schedule this weekend couldn't be any more favorable for Detroit. Of the 5 games that impact their playoff odds in any meaningful way:

Detroit favored by 2.5 over Carolina
KC favored by 9.5 over Seattle
Minnesota favored by 3.5 over the Giants
San Fran favored by 7 over Washington
Miami favored by 6 over Green Bay

The mathematical expected outcome is that 4 of those 5 games go their way with an extremely high probability that at least 3 go their way.
moldyoldie wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:42 am
MWmetalhead wrote:

I'm not. A Rams win would have knocked GB out of playoff contention. MW's scenario is now a possibility. Thankfully the Packers have 2 very tough upcoming games against Miami and Minnesota. We do NOT want them playing Detroit for a playoff berth. Granted, GB needs a lot more help than Detroit does and they may still be dead in the water come the final game against Detroit even if they do win their next 2 games, but still....

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:35 am

bmw wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:13 am
Chiefs, 49ers, and Vikings are all still playing for seeding and as much home field advantage as possible (and all are still alive for a 1st round bye), so they won't be going into 2nd stringer mode, at least not this coming weekend.

The schedule this weekend couldn't be any more favorable for Detroit. Of the 5 games that impact their playoff odds in any meaningful way:

Detroit favored by 2.5 over Carolina
KC favored by 9.5 over Seattle
Minnesota favored by 3.5 over the Giants
San Fran favored by 7 over Washington
Miami favored by 6 over Green Bay

The mathematical expected outcome is that 4 of those 5 games go their way with an extremely high probability that at least 3 go their way.
moldyoldie wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:42 am
MWmetalhead wrote:

I'm not. A Rams win would have knocked GB out of playoff contention. MW's scenario is now a possibility. Thankfully the Packers have 2 very tough upcoming games against Miami and Minnesota. We do NOT want them playing Detroit for a playoff berth. Granted, GB needs a lot more help than Detroit does and they may still be dead in the water come the final game against Detroit even if they do win their next 2 games, but still....
I guess I'm not as 'playoff hungry" this year as most of you seem to be. I'll admit I'd savor the moment as much as anyone, but I'm looking to next year to be our year to dominate and a top five draft pick, especially a stud D-lineman, would go a long way toward that end.
I'm still all-in this year whoever we have to play -- just win, baby! :smokin
- Sydney J. Harris

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:44 am

I want it this year just because of how historic it would be. 1-6 record, left for dead, and dead last place in the NFL power rankings. This would be the ultimate Cinderella story.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:30 am

bmw wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:44 am
I want it this year just because of how historic it would be. 1-6 record, left for dead, and dead last place in the NFL power rankings. This would be the ultimate Cinderella story.
Who can possibly argue with that! :D
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:38 pm

💯

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:34 pm

DISCLAIMER: I truly hope someone throws this post back in my face in a few weeks because I was wrong.

You guys are beginning to sound like Charlie Brown. "THIS time, Lucy won't yank that football!!". Prepare to fall flat on your ass. The Lions will lose in Carolina or the Bears beat them, or GB on the last day. The Curse of Bobby Layne is real. It's destiny.
The censorship king from out of state.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:40 pm

They never learn. And so what if the Lions make the playoffs? They get bounced by the Cowboys again.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic