Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Lions 2023

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Honeyman

Re: Detroit Lions 2023

Post by Honeyman » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:15 pm

1. Decker reported. There's ample evidence. For whatever reason, Allen got confused and announced Skipper.

2. The play runs perfectly. Allen does NOT throw a flag. After about 10-15 seconds, ANOTHER official throws a flag.

3. Allen then insists Skipper reported, not Decker, and penalizes the Lions.

What happened is clear, and it's all on Brad Allen. Decker reported as Allen saw 70 running on the field, 70 had reported before and Allen announced 70. He gave the wrong number, he KNEW Decker reported. Had Skipper actually reported, Allen would have immediately flagged the play. In fact, he would have called 2 penalties, one on Decker for an illegal touching, and one on Skipper for reporting and then lining up in an ineligible position. But Allen NEVER threw his flag.

Another official flagged the play, 10-15 seconds later, presumably after Dallas complained that 70 was announced, not 68. And NOW, in the glare of the lights, Brad Allen realizes he announced the wrong number. He has 2 choices, stick to 70 reporting and screw the Lions, or admit he goofed and tell the Cowboys he's sorry, but he announced the wrong number, and that's too bad, but the player did report and the conversion is good.

And this is where all of us who are so tired of the Lions getting hosed in these situations have a point. In the heat of the moment, on national TV in primetime, in Dallas, on Jimmy Johnson night, with all the Cowboys heroes in attendance, a 15 game home winning streak on the line, the choice is 100% of the time going to be "screw the Lions."

Dan Campbell told the officials what was coming, ran it to perfection, and is left with an explanation by the official that makes the Lions look like a bunch of boobs. Brad Allen lied, and he's sticking to his story, despite the fact it makes the Lions look like idiots. They aren't, and Allen should get fired.

The censorship king from out of state.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:24 pm

But you can't just tell Dallas "too bad." They would have been equally screwed had the 2-pointer stood since they would argue they would have covered #68 if the ref had announced the correct number. Dallas defense had a right to know who was eligible and who was not and they can only go off of what the ref announced.

Once the ref announced the wrong number, SOMEBODY was getting screwed. As such, the only way to remedy that was to re-run the play from the two yard line.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:28 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:24 pm
But you can't just tell Dallas "too bad." They would have been equally screwed had the 2-pointer stood since they would argue they would have covered #68 if the ref had announced the correct number. Dallas defense had a right to know who was eligible and who was not and they can only go off of what the ref announced.

Once the ref announced the wrong number, SOMEBODY was getting screwed. As such, the only way to remedy that was to re-run the play from the two yard line.
But it's okay to tell the Lions "too bad"?

Skipper was playing GUARD. There is no way the Dallas defense would cover him.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:29 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:02 pm
And I am back to wondering, if the defense has to be informed of a lineman being a receiver, why bother to run the play? You have one less actual receiver as an option in exchange for some guy too fat and slow to be a tight end.
The tackle-eligible is (usually) used in short yardage situations. He can presumably either add beef up front for additional blocking or break off into a pass route without being called for "ineligible receiver downfield". All offensive lineman are ineligible receivers in a standard offensive set.
Last edited by moldyoldie on Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:33 pm

In a Dallas-Seattle matchup I think Seattle would have a chance.
I'm not sure from whom I would root. If Detroit advances to round two, a matchup against Seattle would mean a home game for the Lions, but we already know Detroit is capable of winning in Dallas.

Seattle is losing at halftime by a field goal to Pittsburgh. If SEA loses today, they will be in danger of missing the postseason. If SEA loses and MIN defeats Green Bay, ironically SEA's postseason fate will be dependent on the Lions beating Minnesota next week.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:19 pm

https://youtu.be/Ld5_pEa7Ot8?si=vzJQQMzvmzOwLhvZ

We have a new play for this compilation!

It simply amazes me how many times things like this happen in Dallas and Green Bay games. Amazing.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:35 pm

I agree with Honeyman that Allen needs to be fired. He indeed appears to have lied in his post-game comments, and he has proven himself incompetent multiple times this season.

I also agree with bmw that the most appropriate remedy (albeit an imperfect one) in view of the wrong number being announced to Dallas would've been to replay the 2-pt attempt from the 2 yard line.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:41 pm

One more thing, and I'm not even sure about this rule (I'll wait for bmw to figure it out :lol: ) but I think after Parsons was offsides on the second 2 point try, the ball should have gone back to the 2, instead of half the distance. A XP is different than normal play.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:57 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:41 pm
One more thing, and I'm not even sure about this rule (I'll wait for bmw to figure it out :lol: ) but I think after Parsons was offsides on the second 2 point try, the ball should have gone back to the 2, instead of half the distance. A XP is different than normal play.
I thought it did go back to the 2?

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:08 pm

Detroit's most likely opponent is down to 3 teams as Seattle is out of the running, barring Detroit moving up to a 2-seed (which is still possible, albeit unlikely, thanks to the Eagles losing today). It'll be the Rams or the winner of the GB/Minnesota game.

The 2-pt try was run from the 3.5 yard line on the third attempt. I'm not sure what rule Honeyman is referring to because under the scenario of full-distance penalties, if the defense gets a penalty on the 7, a 5-yard penalty would move it to the 2 but a 10+ yard penalty would move it to only half the distance, or the 3.5, and that just wouldn't make sense.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:15 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:08 pm
Detroit's most likely opponent is down to 3 teams as Seattle is out of the running, barring Detroit moving up to a 2-seed (which is still possible, albeit unlikely, thanks to the Eagles losing today). It'll be the Rams or the winner of the GB/Minnesota game.

The 2-pt try was run from the 3.5 yard line on the third attempt. I'm not sure what rule Honeyman is referring to because under the scenario of full-distance penalties, if the defense gets a penalty on the 7, a 5-yard penalty would move it to the 2 but a 10+ yard penalty would move it to only half the distance, or the 3.5, and that just wouldn't make sense.
I have this back of my mind feeling that Stafford is gonna ride in there and blow the doors off the place or win in epic fashion similar to what happened last night and the curse will have the last laugh as usual. Maybe we are being toyed with all along… :shock:

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:17 pm

I've had that sinking feeling for a few weeks now, and it seems all the stars are aligning for that to happen.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:29 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:15 pm
bmw wrote:

I have this back of my mind feeling that Stafford is gonna ride in there and blow the doors off the place or win in epic fashion similar to what happened last night and the curse will have the last laugh as usual. Maybe we are being toyed with all along… :shock:
Stafford never won a playoff game in Detroit*, why should he start now.

*For the literal Larry's out there (Craig), I know he never played a home playoff game with the Lions. "In Detroit" refers to "while on the Lions."
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:30 pm

Matt wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:29 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:15 pm
bmw wrote:

Stafford never won a playoff game in Detroit*, why should he start now.

*For the literal Larry's out there (Craig), I know he never played a home playoff game with the Lions. "In Detroit" refers to "while on the Lions."
For the same reason that he left and IMMEDIATELY WON THE SUPER BOWL.

SD45

Post by SD45 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:24 pm

The NFC is really nothing special, in my opinion.

The Rams clinched a playoff spot today. They squeaked by the Giants due a missed field goal. I still don't want Stafford anywhere near Ford Field. The team doesn't need to hear about that storyline all week.

The Seahawks proved today why I wanted the Lions to get them. They lost at home to the Steelers with Mason Rudolph.

Philadelphia is 1-4 in the past 5 games. They have no excuses for today. The Eagles will still defeat the NFC south winner, either Tampa Bay or New Orleans. Tampa Bay couldn't beat New Orleans at home.

The 49ers play in a weak division and lost 3 games in a row. They did nothing against the Ravens last week.

And I'm just not a Cowboy fan. You guys covered last night well enough.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic