Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

NCAA tournament

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Honeyman

Re: NCAA tournament

Post by Honeyman » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:19 pm

SWEET SIXTEEN!!!

GO GREEN!!!

The censorship king from out of state.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:32 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:28 pm
Years ago, all rounds within a certain region were played in the same part of the country, but the NCAA did away with that system a good 10 to 15 years ago.
Why call the N, S, E, W anymore?

It seems like geographic divisions is outdated.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:39 pm

Just looking back over my bracket, I somehow managed to:

-Go 0-4 in the 8 vs. 9 games
-Go 0/5 on my 5 upset picks in the first round (hence not picking a single correct upset).

Pretty sure I've never managed to do either of those in nearly 30 years of doing brackets.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:05 am

Marquette hasn't won the NCAA Basketball Championship since March of 1977 & their only win!!! The next year in 1978, Michigan Wolverines beat them in the playoffs 69 - 68 BUT lost to North Carolina Tar Heels the next game.

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:47 am

moldyoldie wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:43 am
TC Talks wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:31 am
Can someone please help me understand how Kansas is in the West and Kansas State is in the East?

Why is Connecticut in the West and Miami (Fl) in the Midwest?
It's the attempt to even out the presumed competitiveness among the four regionals. You'll note the highest seeds in each region are the most closely aligned with their natural geographic location, but even then it's not always spot on. If the theoretical four best teams in the nation were all on the east coast, they would presumably be separated as #1 seeds into each of the four regions for the sake of competitiveness. What determines "best" are factors such as team record and strength of schedule; there are both quantitative and qualitative measures.

It's the same these days with the individual conferences, but in that case it's mostly about media revenue and extended exposure, not what one would presume to be traditional geographic rivalries.
They also prefer to spread out teams from the same conference and rivalry teams as much as possible, preferring to save those potential matchups for as late into the tournament as possible. You'll never see MSU and Michigan in the same region for that very reason.
TC Talks wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:32 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:28 pm
Years ago, all rounds within a certain region were played in the same part of the country, but the NCAA did away with that system a good 10 to 15 years ago.
Why call the N, S, E, W anymore?

It seems like geographic divisions is outdated.
There were a few years where each region was named after the city hosting their respective finals, but then they reverted back to the general geographic divisions.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:10 am

Very happy MSU is in the Sweet 16 Beat K-State Go Green.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:05 pm

Somebody gotta SHOOT THE BALL!

What a tough way to lose. Two reasonably open 3-pointers and they pass on both.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:11 pm

BAH! :evil:

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:11 pm

Just said that to my Sparty wife. Nobody wanted the last shot.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:27 pm

Like a punch in the gut. Really an exciting game, but the better team won. Nowell was unreal. Our defense was awful, yet it still came down to a play or two. A made free throw here, a crazy shot there, another missed defensive assignment. But KSU had the best player on the court, and won the game. Crazy that this Spartan team could have been playing to get into the final four wearing their white unis (the lowest seed left). This one will hurt for a long time.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:43 pm

A truly entertaining / exciting basketball game. Was hoping that MSU would pull that one out.

I think you're being a bit too tough on MSU. Seemed like one of those games where both teams just had it going offensively. Some of those 3s that K-State hit were beyond insane. Hoggard was absolutely terrific and many teams must envy how solid MSU's 6 player rotation is/was.

Biggest errors were Hauser and especially Hall declining the opportunity to put up a 3 in their last possession.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:53 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:43 pm
A truly entertaining / exciting basketball game. Was hoping that MSU would pull that one out.

I think you're being a bit too tough on MSU. Seemed like one of those games where both teams just had it going offensively. Some of those 3s that K-State hit were beyond insane. Hoggard was absolutely terrific and many teams must envy how solid MSU's 6 player rotation is/was.

Biggest errors were Hauser and especially Hall declining the opportunity to put up a 3 in their last possession.
The end of the game was an error. I think Joey should have taken the shot first, and in reading the post game comments, he did too. But if it fell, a 28 footer, it would have tied the game. Malik missed a free throw end of regulation that could have changed things as well. How many back door lobs did we allow? Other plays cost us, but it would have been nice to at least get a fucking shot off.

You're right about Hoggard. Was probably our best player on the court. I also thought Izzo waited too long to put Akins on Nowell because Tyson was not stopping him at all. But maybe Tom knows better than me.

Either way, we went farther than I thought we would, and played a classic NCAA game. They did make a couple crazy shots, I'm just a believer that you make your own luck. I'm proud of the way we played, just disappointed because we came so close.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:32 pm

Don't go driving the lane on Nathan Mensah of San Diego State. :smokin How do you say, "Get that weak shit outta here!" in Ghanaian? :lol:
Top NBA draft prospect Brandon Miller of 'Bama is shooting just 3 of 16. I think another #1 seed is about to go down!

(Edit)
Oh man, can 'Bama pull this out? :shock:

(Edit #2)
Noooooo!

(Edit #3)
Damn, even Houston is going down. No #1s left! :smokin

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:52 pm

Just a reminder that Tom Goss passed on Brian Dutcher for Brian Ellerbe.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:34 pm

K State can't get off a last shot. Where have I seen that before. 🤔

:rollin

I no longer directly engage trolls

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic