Acceptable registrations in the queue through November 16, 2022 at 6:45p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Tigers 2022

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
radioandtventhusiast
Posts: 873
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Re: Detroit Tigers 2022

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:17 pm

paul8539 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:15 am
What if the Tigers and Mud Hens traded places? Would it work out better?
It's do or die for the Hens this weekend.



User avatar
moldyoldie
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:04 am
Location: On that thar' interweb jobber

Re: Detroit Tigers 2022

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:17 am

Well, our boys are doing their damnedest to avoid 100 losses, winning seven of their last ten and five in a row, including a sweep of the suddenly woeful White Sox. With eight games remaining, they'd have to lose out to reach 100 losses. :smokin


"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 8391
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Detroit Tigers 2022

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:40 pm

Can't help but notice how this winning streak began soon after the new President of Baseball Operations hire was announced.

Does psychology factor into on-field performance? I certainly think so.


Fire Dwane Casey!

User avatar
moldyoldie
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:04 am
Location: On that thar' interweb jobber

Re: Detroit Tigers 2022

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:31 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:40 pm
Can't help but notice how this winning streak began soon after the new President of Baseball Operations hire was announced.

Does psychology factor into on-field performance? I certainly think so.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. :lol: Ya gotta believe changes are a'comin'.


"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 8391
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Detroit Tigers 2022

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:09 pm

10 wins in 12 games.


Fire Dwane Casey!

Realist
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Northern Michigan

Re: Detroit Tigers 2022

Post by Realist » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:38 pm

The minute they put Soto in tonight’s game, I knew we were going to lose the 1st game of this doubleheader.

I hope to God that the Tigers don’t offer him arbitration and let him go. I’ve never been convinced he is a decent closer, even with him being an All Star the past 2 years



User avatar
moldyoldie
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:04 am
Location: On that thar' interweb jobber

Re: Detroit Tigers 2022

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:27 am

The Tigers aren't in last place anymore! Where are all the tankniks up in arms over losing draft position? :lol
The minute they put Soto in tonight’s game, I knew we were going to lose the 1st game of this doubleheader.

I hope to God that the Tigers don’t offer him arbitration and let him go. I’ve never been convinced he is a decent closer, even with him being an All Star the past 2 years
Well, he does have a power lefty arm. If he can effectively control his slider Soto can be nasty. With a guy starting the inning on 2B and you're defending a 1-run lead, you'll want a guy on the mound who can strike a guy out and not merely pitch to contact. It didn't work out last night.

Soto and Chafin are two very formidable lefties in what has been a surprisingly effective bullpen this season.


"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Realist
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Northern Michigan

Re: Detroit Tigers 2022

Post by Realist » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:54 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:27 am
The Tigers aren't in last place anymore! Where are all the tankniks up in arms over losing draft position? :lol
The minute they put Soto in tonight’s game, I knew we were going to lose the 1st game of this doubleheader.

I hope to God that the Tigers don’t offer him arbitration and let him go. I’ve never been convinced he is a decent closer, even with him being an All Star the past 2 years
Well, he does have a power lefty arm. If he can effectively control his slider Soto can be nasty. With a guy starting the inning on 2B and you're defending a 1-run lead, you'll want a guy on the mound who can strike a guy out and not merely pitch to contact. It didn't work out last night.

Soto and Chafin are two very formidable lefties in what has been a surprisingly effective bullpen this season.
11 loses is way too many and out numbers the 30 saves. A lot of the save situations were almost sure wins



User avatar
moldyoldie
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:04 am
Location: On that thar' interweb jobber

Re: Detroit Tigers 2022

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:14 am

Realist wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:54 pm
moldyoldie wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:27 am
The Tigers aren't in last place anymore! Where are all the tankniks up in arms over losing draft position? :lol
The minute they put Soto in tonight’s game, I knew we were going to lose the 1st game of this doubleheader.

I hope to God that the Tigers don’t offer him arbitration and let him go. I’ve never been convinced he is a decent closer, even with him being an All Star the past 2 years
Well, he does have a power lefty arm. If he can effectively control his slider Soto can be nasty. With a guy starting the inning on 2B and you're defending a 1-run lead, you'll want a guy on the mound who can strike a guy out and not merely pitch to contact. It didn't work out last night.

Soto and Chafin are two very formidable lefties in what has been a surprisingly effective bullpen this season.
11 loses is way too many and out numbers the 30 saves. A lot of the save situations were almost sure wins
"Sure wins" -- I'm not sure what that means. A save situation is where an entering pitcher eventually faces the potential tying run, which usually means entering with at most a three-run lead. Assuming Soto enters a game ONLY in a save situation, his eleven losses would mean eleven blown saves over the course of the season, netting a +19. Admittedly, his command is suspect -- 34 walks in 60 innings is far from optimum and a 1.376 WHIP is not what you want to see in a shut-down relief pitcher.

That said, I've never been an adherent of a designated closer, set-up man, etc. I know it's probably good for a bullpen to know their roles entering a game, but there's also something to be said for going with who would be most effective in a given situation based on past performance and knowledge of the upcoming hitters.

On another matter, did you hear Jack Morris and Matt Shepherd tear into the organization in the last postgame show of the season? :shock: Whoa! Refreshing to say the least. :hat Informed Tigers no-holds-barred blogger Holly Horning riffs on it today.


"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Bobbert
Posts: 1559
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:13 pm

Re: Detroit Tigers 2022

Post by Bobbert » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:39 am

Just re-watched last year's season-ending press conference with Avila and Hinch.

Things that jumped out at me:
  • Expecting Mize, Skubal, and Manning to lead the starting pitching. That didn't happen, mostly because of injuries, and reminded me of how a similar thing happened with Boyd, Fulmer, and Norris after they went a collective 21-14 in 2016.
  • Bringing back almost all of the coaches in 2022. That's definitely not going to happen in 2023.
  • Avila's awareness of new trends in player development, but also his gruff defensiveness, which makes me think that he didn't always have an open mind to new ideas.
  • The "thin ice" feeling of a lot of their comments about 2021, and how they had to keep working to move forward.



User avatar
moldyoldie
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:04 am
Location: On that thar' interweb jobber

Re: Detroit Tigers 2022

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:04 am

Let the bloodletting begin!

"The Tigers, shut out 22 times and held to 3.44 runs per game, finished 66-96 overall for fourth place in the American League Central.
The 22 shutouts are the most by an American League team since the implementation of the designated hitter in 1973. The Tigers finished four shutouts shy of tying the franchise record, 26, set in 1904."


Detroit Tigers hitting coach Scott Coolbaugh not returning after two seasons


"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MotorCityRadioFreak
Posts: 5555
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 am
Location: Worn, MI

Re: Detroit Tigers 2022

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:48 pm

I believe the Tigers also hit the least amount of homers in 50+ years. It’s embarrassing.


Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 8391
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Detroit Tigers 2022

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:09 pm

They also fired their director of scouting today. Good riddance!


Fire Dwane Casey!

MotorCityRadioFreak
Posts: 5555
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 am
Location: Worn, MI

Re: Detroit Tigers 2022

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:32 am

Now, they need to fire the hitting, conditioning, and pitching coaches.


Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

User avatar
moldyoldie
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:04 am
Location: On that thar' interweb jobber

Re: Detroit Tigers 2022

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:35 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:32 am
Now, they need to fire the hitting, conditioning, and pitching coaches.
In case you missed it, hitting coach is already kaput, see above. So is quality control coach, whatever that is. I'm guessing it has something to do with conditioning.

Pitching coach Fetter? Well, our pitching wasn't the problem by a long shot.


"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic