Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Barbie Hype

A forum devoted to the Advertising Industry. A place not just to discuss the ads you see & hear, but also the business side of the industry.
Bobbert

Barbie Hype

Post by Bobbert » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:01 am

I'm trying to remember the last time we saw as much hype for a movie as we have for Barbie.

For some reason, I keep thinking about the hype for the 1974 version of The Great Gatsby, maybe because of its subsequent poor showing at the box office.

It will be interesting to see the backlash against Barbie, from all directions:
  • Barbie is a sexist movie because it [objectifies women] [denigrates men].
  • Barbie is a racist movie because it creates a fantasy world of white privilege.
  • It's just a doll, for heaven's sake!

Round Six

Re: Barbie Hype

Post by Round Six » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:34 am

Bobbert wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:01 am
I'm trying to remember the last time we saw as much hype for a movie as we have for Barbie.

For some reason, I keep thinking about the hype for the 1974 version of The Great Gatsby, maybe because of its subsequent poor showing at the box office.

• Barbie is a racist movie because it creates a fantasy world of white privilege.
Holy Moley. Backlash? Get a life.
Barbie is a movie for little girls. Just like the latest Mario Brothers or Puss-N-Boots flick, parents are going to be making reservations ahead of time to take their little princesses to see this movie. That's it. Don't read anymore into it.

Where is all this you wrote coming from?
If you're a girl over the age of 12, or a boy of any age, you don't care.
Get outside, breath some fresh air, go make a friend. All kidding aside.
Boy this bulletin board can sure attract some lonely people.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:46 am

Round Six wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:34 am
Bobbert wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:01 am

Barbie is a movie for little girls. Just like the latest Mario Brothers or Puss-N-Boots flick, parents are going to be making reservations ahead of time to take their little princesses to see this movie. That's it. Don't read anymore into it.

My post was mostly speculation about the different reactions the movie might provoke. The publicity for this movie seemed to be everywhere the past week.

I don't plan to go see the movie because it looks silly. But I do plan to see Oppenheimer.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:03 pm

Round Six wrote:

"All the hype" is tying to push folks to see both Barbi and Oppenheimer. How many girls under 12 qualify for that?
Bobbert wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:46 am
... But I do plan to see Oppenheimer.
I have a feeling that movie is going to be about as historically accurate as the Afleck's "Pearl Harbor" movie.

Hopefully it'll be entertaining enough to justify the $$$, but a lot of folks are going to walk away with the impression that's how things really happened.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:43 am

km1125 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:03 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:46 am
... But I do plan to see Oppenheimer.
I have a feeling that movie is going to be about as historically accurate as the Afleck's "Pearl Harbor" movie.

Hopefully it'll be entertaining enough to justify the $$$, but a lot of folks are going to walk away with the impression that's how things really happened.
You're probably right. But if it recreates the intensity, stress, and uncertainty of the event, like Dunkirk did, that will be a good thing.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:18 am

Round Six wrote:

Actually even with its PG-13 rating its really geared more to adults. Probably adults who played with Barbies when they were young although I'm not sure that matters so much.
For what its worth Rotten Tomatoes currently has it at 90% approval from both critics and average moviegoers.
I am a fan of both Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling and I could imagine giving it a watch when it hits some streaming service but I won't buy a ticket to the theater.
I no longer directly engage trolls

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:36 am

craig11152 wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:18 am
....but I won't buy a ticket to the theater.
100% agree with that part.

I think studios and Hollywood in general have gotten lazy and because they (along with the media) have convinced many people you "have to" go to the theaters to watch this stuff. Not much different than pro sports though.... you "have to" watch someone else play rather than get out of the house and actually enjoy some sports first-hand, even if it's just a couple neighbors tossing around a ball!

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:16 am

craig11152 wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:18 am
..... Actually even with its PG-13 rating its really geared more to adults. Probably adults who played with Barbies when they were young although I'm not sure that matters so much ....
Well, you may be right and (gasp) I may be wrong. My niece took her 7 year old to see it Saturday. The girl got bored and wanted to leave early.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:34 pm

What gives it a PG13 rating? What does it do to deserve that? If it was meant for kids, then it should have a G rating, or PG at the very most.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:44 am

Besides Barbie, there was "Rock Flowers" (with the late Casey Kasem) commercial from 1971 also from Mattel!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht9YTSP ... l=PhakeNam

matt1

Post by matt1 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:48 am

The female trio Rock Flowers made 2 albums on Wheel Records (division of RCA Victor), their self-titled from early 1972 which has the song "Number Wonderful" that went to # 94 in February 1972 (complete 11 songs album). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFvVYab ... wers-Topic

matt1

Post by matt1 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:53 am

& the 2nd & final album "Naturally" from late 1972 (complete 11 songs album). Member singer & retired actress Debra Clinger later joined Kaptain Kool & The Kongs on Sid & Marty Krofft's The Krofft Supershow (which ran on ABC Saturday morning on September 1976 till September 1978) & they made 1 album for Epic Records in 1978. Also Debra was in the 1980 Disney movie "Midnight Madness" (which also starred Michael J. Fox in his debut role). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S09NoZ6 ... wers-Topic

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:23 am

Somebody must have liked it. It was nominated for several Oscar Awards.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic