Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Most Annoying Commercials

A forum devoted to the Advertising Industry. A place not just to discuss the ads you see & hear, but also the business side of the industry.
Turkeytop

Re: Most Annoying Commercials

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:02 pm

The one with Amy Schumer advertizing some brand of tampons.

She's in the washroom and hears someone moaning in the stall.

"Someone just got her period. What size do you need?

The young woman opens the stall door.

"They come in different sizes?"

"Yes" says Schumer. And she pulls down the handy dandy chart she just happens to have hanging on the wall and gives her a lesson on how to determine her size.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:53 pm

"For a great low rate you can get online, go to The General and same some time"!! (insurance commercial)

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:04 pm

Every spot for every.single.one of the "sports book" gambling apps. Fanduel, Draft Kings, Twin Spires, Fox Sports, BetMGM, BetRivers, Barstool, William Hill and others yet to be heard from. I'm sure local TV is rejoicing over their massive buys, replacing revenue from the now gone political spots. Why, they're even squeezing out some of the annoying lawyer and furniture/mattress ads!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:06 pm

Rakuten

They sing about it. They dance about it. But they don't say what it is. What are they selling?

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:01 am

- Any commercial with any kind of choreographed Broadway- or boy band-style song and/or dance routine (unless it's actually for a Broadway show). No need for your spot to resemble an 'N Sync video or the Broadway cast of Mamma Mia if you're just trying to sell a McDonald's chicken sandwich. I remember one for some brand of Hershey's candy a number of years ago which had a bunch of people in an office setting dancing (if you could call it that) for no apparent reason. One of them was even standing on his desk excitedly throwing handfuls of candy around. Eesh, was that awful.
- Life Alert. I still see those purposely disturbing and emotionally manipulative spots with a woman lying unconscious after falling down the stairs and a hysterical voiceover screaming "HELP ME!" I can't hit the mute button or change the channel fast enough when those come on. Likewise "Tips from a Former Smoker," which I still see from time to time.
- Plexiderm.
- Any and all prescription med commercials, especially those with potential side effects worse than the condition they're supposed to treat. Especially one in which one of the side effects is "sudden death." Yeah, death will tend to cure your rosacea, atrial fibrillation, etc.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:57 am

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:01 am
- Any and all prescription med commercials, especially those with potential side effects worse than the condition they're supposed to treat. Especially one in which one of the side effects is "sudden death." Yeah, death will tend to cure your rosacea, atrial fibrillation, etc.
Those meds spots all follow the same format too. When they're reciting the mandatory laundry-list of all the godawful side effects, the visuals, without fail, always depict the characters doing sweet, "cute" things- playing sports, doing crafts badly, spraying each other with the garden hose, walking on the sunset beach, etc.
Oh, and don't take "X" if you are allergic to "X." ??

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:51 pm

Do not give to children less than six. Do not give to children between six and eighteen.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:04 pm

I don't like these ads for sexual performance improvement. Yes, I would like to improve my sex life, but I don't have anybody to do it with. Find me a nice young lady to do it with, and then maybe I will take your pills.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:26 am

I am glad that The General has Shaq talking at the end of the commercial!!!

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:27 pm

Adds for my list:

- Current Kit Kat ad with guy climbing mountain-style to the top of a giant Kit Kat bar, and then falls off the top of it, taking the top piece with him. Wouldn't have been too bad except for his voice, which annoys the hell out of me.
- King Soopers ad (Colorado-based grocery chain) which uses Flo Rida's "Low" to advertise its "low prices," complete with CGI generated cartoon people dancing down the aisles of the store. The dancing would be bad enough; the so-called "music" makes it worse.
- Bounty paper towels with slow-motion sequences. The acting is annoying, the facial expressions are annoying, the drawn-out "NOOOOOOO" is annoying.
- Charmin toilet tissue, especially the latest one with the little kid bear excited about how clean his butt is. I'll say one thing, the brand of toilet paper I use makes no difference as to whether I "enjoy the go."
- June's Journey ads - If I'm going to play a game, I'd like to know something about who the lead character is, what the objective is, etc., not be lectured by some Karen upset that her husband doesn't notice her, whose facial expression is so smug I'd smack her if she weren't a woman.
- Gain detergent ads - All of them. I like the smell of clean clothes as much as anyone, but it has never given me an orgasm, as it apparently does the people in these commercials.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:49 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:27 pm
Adds for my list:

- Current Kit Kat ad with guy climbing mountain-style to the top of a giant Kit Kat bar, and then falls off the top of it, taking the top piece with him. Wouldn't have been too bad except for his voice, which annoys the hell out of me.
- King Soopers ad (Colorado-based grocery chain) which uses Flo Rida's "Low" to advertise its "low prices," complete with CGI generated cartoon people dancing down the aisles of the store. The dancing would be bad enough; the so-called "music" makes it worse.
- Bounty paper towels with slow-motion sequences. The acting is annoying, the facial expressions are annoying, the drawn-out "NOOOOOOO" is annoying.
- Charmin toilet tissue, especially the latest one with the little kid bear excited about how clean his butt is. I'll say one thing, the brand of toilet paper I use makes no difference as to whether I "enjoy the go."
- June's Journey ads - If I'm going to play a game, I'd like to know something about who the lead character is, what the objective is, etc., not be lectured by some Karen upset that her husband doesn't notice her, whose facial expression is so smug I'd smack her if she weren't a woman.
- Gain detergent ads - All of them. I like the smell of clean clothes as much as anyone, but it has never given me an orgasm, as it apparently does the people in these commercials.
I do find the Kit Kat Guy's "Yeah" very annoying.

Kroger uses the exact same ad campaign. I think it's the same for all of their brands.

Bounty, Charmin and Gain all need new ad campaigns.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:24 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:49 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:27 pm
Adds for my list:

I do find the Kit Kat Guy's "Yeah" very annoying.

Kroger uses the exact same ad campaign. I think it's the same for all of their brands.

Bounty, Charmin and Gain all need new ad campaigns.
I rarely watch Detroit TV anymore since cutting the cord, so I haven't seen the Kroger version of the King Soopers spot. Thanks for the clarification.
The June's Journey ad I mentioned is one I've only seen on Canadian TV on the app I watch, so it may not be carried in the U.S.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:53 pm

The late Jerry Lewis Telethon in 1979 & in 1980 "Even if you miss a little, you miss a lot!!"

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:27 am

Seagate Roofing company in Toledo Ohio

" 2-4-4 L.E.A.K. Seagate" .

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:52 pm

Heathcliff wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:27 am
Seagate Roofing company in Toledo Ohio

" 2-4-4 L.E.A.K. Seagate" .
I don't think that jingle's changed in years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic