Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Least favorite commercials of all-time

A forum devoted to the Advertising Industry. A place not just to discuss the ads you see & hear, but also the business side of the industry.
matt1

Re: Least favorite commercials of all-time

Post by matt1 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:48 am

"Highland Appliance we'll be there fast no matter what"!!! (1988)

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:03 pm

- "Head On... apply directly to the forehead."
- LifeAlert and their deliberate, unapologetic emotional manipulation
- Peyton Manning for Nationwide "chicken parm you taste so good"
- Any Sandals resort commercial using Black Eyed Peas music
- Cara Mia Bra (on Canadian TV) (worst of those currently running now that the election ads are done with)
- Any commercial featuring an attractive woman taking a bite of some crappy fast food, chocolate, prepackaged cupcake or other snack food, etc. and closing her eyes like she's having an orgasm
- "Nothing's missed with Tena Twist"

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:09 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:03 pm
- Cara Mia Bra (on Canadian TV) (worst of those currently running now that the election ads are done with)
- Any commercial featuring an attractive woman taking a bite of some crappy fast food, chocolate, prepackaged cupcake or other snack food, etc. and closing her eyes like she's having an orgasm
Is the Life Alert ad the one the darker one with the lady crying for help on the floor after falling? That one was so controversial.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:01 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:09 pm
[Is the Life Alert ad the one the darker one with the lady crying for help on the floor after falling? That one was so controversial.
The line "I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up!"® is a registered trademark, appearing under the Life Alert logo in the spots.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:37 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:09 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:03 pm
Is the Life Alert ad the one the darker one with the lady crying for help on the floor after falling? That one was so controversial.
That's the one.
The original LifeCall "I've fallen and I can't get up" ad become a cultural touchstone in the early '90s. But no one remembers the guy who yelled, "I'm having... CHEST PAINS!"

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:43 pm

Add to my list: any commercial featuring elaborately choreographed dancing to advertise a product that has nothing to do with dancing. For example, the one for a credit card or something or other I just saw this afternoon. More often I seem to see those for food or drink, especially soft drinks.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:18 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:43 pm
Add to my list: any commercial featuring elaborately choreographed dancing to advertise a product that has nothing to do with dancing. For example, the one for a credit card or something or other I just saw this afternoon. More often I seem to see those for food or drink, especially soft drinks.
That was an often-used technique back in the 70s. Detroiters may remember, among many others like it, the All-singing, all-dancing, "Joshua Doore" furniture warehouse spots done by W.B. Doner agency (who also produced the similar "You've gotta have Art" campaign for the DIA). The original use (co-opted now by Robinson) of "You've got an uncle in the furniture business," lip-synced by actor Dan Resin.
Annoying then, annoying now.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:47 am

"Triple AAA you can't beat us..... JOIN US"!! (1976 & 1977)

matt1

Post by matt1 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:49 am

kager

Post by kager » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:58 am

"Spread Hope Not COVID"

I applaud efforts to educate the public on health threats, but this particular ad needs jettisoned:

https://www.facebook.com/michiganhhs/vi ... 794451419/

From the post apocalyptic drag-on 'aude lang syne' audio, to the overtly drama-queen, slo-mo, drone-follow-me fly-thru video, MDHHS deserves a (if not THE) SUX award for that one...

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:17 pm

My least favorite: these ads promoting a better sex life if you take our pills. It won't help me. I don't have anybody to do it with.

Find me a nice young lady to do it with, and then maybe I will take your pills.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic