Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Get On The Stage!!!

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
Honeyman

Get On The Stage!!!

Post by Honeyman » Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:01 pm

As a companion to the other thread, what opening act did you see that shined!

I'll start..

1) Saw ELO at MSU, so we're talking around 1976-77. Opening act was some unknown band named Journey.

2) I'm a big John Hiatt fan and always saw him when he played near me. Often had shows at a small joint called the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano. In 1983, this chick opened for him that really blew me away. That was the first time I saw, or even heard of, Sheryl Crow.

3) Saw The (Dixie) Chicks a couple years ago at the Santa Barbara Bowl. They were disappointing, but Jenny Lewis opened and was great.

The censorship king from out of state.

moldyoldie

Re: Get On The Stage!!!

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:00 am

That's quite the concert-going legacy there, Honeyman. :smokin

I remember reading Hendrix was once scheduled to open for The Monkees, but dropped out.
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:07 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:01 pm

I'll start..

1) Saw ELO at MSU, so we're talking around 1976-77. Opening act was some unknown band named Journey.

2) I'm a big John Hiatt fan and always saw him when he played near me. Often had shows at a small joint called the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano. In 1983, this chick opened for him that really blew me away. That was the first time I saw, or even heard of, Sheryl Crow.

3) Saw The (Dixie) Chicks a couple years ago at the Santa Barbara Bowl. They were disappointing, but Jenny Lewis opened and was great.
Sheryl Crow was in High school in 1983. She didn't pursue music until 1987. Are you sure it wasn't 1993? Hiatt would have been supporting his Perfectly Good Guitar album which had broken nationally.
Crow toured with Michael Jackson as a backing vocalist during his Bad tour 1987–1989.
I was at a station in Vail in 1993, and Sheryl came through town often. We got to know her pretty well. She worked her ass off to make it.
Last edited by TC Talks on Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:14 pm

The Freddy Jones band was awesome in the mid 90's. I watched Dave Mathews Band open for them as well as Big Head Todd.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:46 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:07 pm
Honeyman wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:01 pm

I'll start..

Sheryl Crow was in Highschool in 1983. She didn't pursue music until 1987. Are you it wasn't 1993? Hiatt would have been supporting his Perfectly Good Guitar album which had broken nationally.
Crow toured with Michael Jackson as a backing vocalist during his Bad tour 1987–1989.
I was at a station in Vail in 1993, and Sheryl came through town often. We got to know her pretty well. She worked her ass off to make it.
Yep..93. Fat fingers. It was the year my dad died.
The censorship king from out of state.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic