Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Most hated Christmas songs

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
Musicrewired

Re: Most hated Christmas songs

Post by Musicrewired » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:54 pm

matt1 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:29 am
LeAnn Rimes did the "Hippo" remake in 2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RQ69Ww ... imes-Topic
That version's vocals are a lot better than those on the original, even if it has a bit of "hey, look at what song I'm doing" in the process.

LeAnn didn't try to sing it in a artificial way, which is what the original suffers from:

https://youtu.be/GNDri18-eQ0

In the 1950's, a tv appearance was a big deal, so I can see how this would've helped make it a hit, but there's no career-starter in that song.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:01 am

LeAnn Rimes shows off her body & her butt naked in her latest music video in the desert directed by her husband!! Check that out on YouTube!!

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:02 pm

These over-the-top gospel versions of "Do You Hear What I Hear?" have gotten tiresome. Another example of the performer showcasing themself, and not the song.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:43 pm

Andy Williams. It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year.

It was OK until they started using it for back to school advertising. For me, going back to school was the absolute worst time of the year.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:33 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:43 pm

It was OK until they started using it for back to school advertising. For me, going back to school was the absolute worst time of the year.
You apparently missed the humor there. It's the Parents celebrating Back to School time. The kids in the spot looking not a bit happy.
First time out, the use of the song was funny. Got tiresome in subsequent years.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:07 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:33 pm
Turkeytop wrote:

You apparently missed the humor there. It's the Parents celebrating Back to School time. The kids in the spot looking not a bit happy.
First time out, the use of the song was funny. Got tiresome in subsequent years.
I understood the intent. I remember my own mother expressing those sentiments too. But I hated school so much that there is no humour in that.

On Labour Day, I almost felt ill, knowing what was coming the next day. All these years later, I still feel like that on Labour Day, in sympathy with the kids.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:32 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:07 pm
SolarMax wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:33 pm
Turkeytop wrote:

I understood the intent. I remember my own mother expressing those sentiments too. But I hated school so much that there is no humour in that.

On Labour Day, I almost felt ill, knowing what was coming the next day. All these years later, I still feel like that on Labour Day, in sympathy with the kids.
I miss Christmas vacations and Easter vacations for that matter. Now, this time of year is so freakin busy at my job, I long for those simpler times.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:34 pm

I've listened to WNIC a fair amount this Christmas season, and I can't remember one playing of "Do They Know It's Christmas?"

That doesn't surprise me, but I also can't remember hearing "Step Into Christmas" by Elton John. That's an OK song, about on par with "Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney. Both are general celebrations of the Christmas season.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:42 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:34 pm
I've listened to WNIC a fair amount this Christmas season, and I can't remember one playing of "Do They Know It's Christmas?"

That doesn't surprise me, but I also can't remember hearing "Step Into Christmas" by Elton John. That's an OK song, about on par with "Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney. Both are general celebrations of the Christmas season.
I heard "Do They Know It's Christmas" on sister station 101.5 the River in Toledo a few days ago. Maybe the song's not nearly as popular as it used to be.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:39 am

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:42 pm
Bobbert wrote:

I heard "Do They Know It's Christmas" on sister station 101.5 the River in Toledo a few days ago. Maybe the song's not nearly as popular as it used to be.
Wnic uses the iheart corporate playlist, which has 10 songs

Music is my life.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:19 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:39 am
radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:42 pm
Bobbert wrote:

Wnic uses the iheart corporate playlist, which has 10 songs
The River uses iHeart's corporate playlist too. They probably don't have much choice.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:18 am

Actually, I like Mannheim Steamroller.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic