Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

B-sides that should have been A-sides

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
stopnswop2

B-sides that should have been A-sides

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:49 am

I'll start.

"I'll Turn to Stone" by the Four Tops was the B side of "Seven Rooms of Gloom".
Whoever okayed this is an idiot. Seven rooms doesn't even sound like a real song. It's just an inferior version of "Reach out/Bernadette/Standing", which already all sound like the same song with different lyrics. But at least those 3 are listenable.
(Reminds me of Gary Puckett and his 3 hit versions of the same song)

I'll Turn To Stone is one of the catchiest songs I've ever heard, and has been covered many times by many artists

Music is my life.

Ben Zonia

Re: B-sides that should have been A-sides

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:19 am

It's not clear which was supposed to be the A and B side, but "How Could I Let You Get Away" by The Spinners is usually shown as the A side, the other side being "I'll Be Around". "How Could I Let You Get Away" was only #1 as a double sided entry on CKLW, only #77 Hot 100. "I'll Be Around" reached #3 Hot 100.

"It's A Shame" reached #14 Hot 100, #4 on CKLW. Though #4 at WVON, only #30 on WCFL, and didn't chart at all on WLS.

All appeared much higher on R & B stations and charts. I wonder if WLS played "It's A Shame" as an Oldie.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Turkeytop

Re: B-sides that should have been A-sides

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:10 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:19 am
It's not clear which was supposed to be the A and B side, but "How Could I Let You Get Away" by The Spinners is usually shown as the A side, the other side being "I'll Be Around". "How Could I Let You Get Away" was only #1 as a double sided entry on CKLW, only #77 Hot 100. "I'll Be Around" reached #3 Hot 100.

Gotta agree with you on that one.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic