Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WPLJ

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
Ben Zonia

WPLJ

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:27 pm

1. WPLJ was originally a drink consisting of White Port wine and Lemon Juice. Most people describe it as unmemorable.

2. There was a recording by the Four Deuces called WPLJ in circa 1956. It didn't chart on any station or national chart of record.

3. There was a remake made by Frank Zappa in 1969. It only appeared on one station chart of record and no national charts.

4 WABC-FM decided to change to WPLJ ON February 14, 1970, along with six other ABC owned FM stations changing callsigns. They had a hard rock AOR format traditionally for many years.

5. In 2019, WPLJ was sold to EMF, often called K-Love, a Christian format. They kept the call letters, despite any connection with Christianity, in fact, just the opposite, of a connection.

6. Anyone know why, despite all this, these call letters are so revered, and continue to be used by EMF??

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Robert Faygo

Re: WPLJ

Post by Robert Faygo » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:49 pm

There's a question that may not have an answer beyond a shoulder shrug. It wasn't a big deal in the 80s when they dropped the WPLJ calls for a couple of years only to bring em back because everyone ignored the change.

I wonder, had the WRIF calls wound up in NYC like they were supposed to, would those calls enjoy the same legacy there as they have in Detroit?

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic