Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Rock group Spirit

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
matt1

Rock group Spirit

Post by matt1 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:26 pm

I know that the Spirit song "Taurus" (which is my zodiac sign) was ripped from Led Zeppelin "Stairway To Heaven"! From 1969, here is the song "I Got A Line On You" (from 1969 "The Family That Plays Together") which went to # 25 in March of 1969 & their only Top 40 song. I was listening to 1400 AM WSAM (Saginaw, MI) back in 1988 or 1989 & DJ Scott Crampton talked about that song "I Got A Line On You" & I am not sure what Scott said but it was kinda rude or something but then went to a commercial!! I forgot what Scott said back then though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vleF_mX9a0M Singer Jay Ferguson last rock solo album was back in early 1982 "White Noise" (Capitol Records) & that song was played on hard rock stations & my favorite from Jay!! I was a freshman (9th grade in high school) when I heard that on 105 FM WWCK in Flint, MI back then!!

moldyoldie

Re: Rock group Spirit

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:41 am

The Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus may be on my all-time favorite album list, perhaps in the top five. Outside of some unnecessary mixing board shenanigans, the album is very inventive and makes a thoroughly cohesive musical statement. Not a single clunker to be heard!

Also, speaking of The Family That Plays Together, the low freq-thumping tune "Aren't You Glad" is an irresistible favorite. It popped up on Sirius/XM's Deep Tracks the other day and I was immediately captivated; I hadn't heard it in literally decades!

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:05 pm

Hmmm? Going off Memory, Wasn't jay Ferguson in that band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJVl6Iuiy00

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:46 pm

A criminally underrated band. So unique and their music sounded 5-10 years newer that it was.

tc

Post by tc » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:49 am

matt1 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:26 pm
I know that the Spirit song "Taurus" (which is my zodiac sign) was ripped from Led Zeppelin "Stairway To Heaven"...
Other way around, "Taurus" was before "Stairway".

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic