Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Todd Rundgren's funniest song

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
matt1

Todd Rundgren's funniest song

Post by matt1 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:31 pm

From 1978 "Hermit Of Mink Hollow". My older brother Mark bought that album in 1979 & he wanted me to give a listen!! Also "Piss Aaron" (from 1972 classic "Something, Anything?") is also a great song!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Jj4QStsfY

Honeyman

Re: Todd Rundgren's funniest song

Post by Honeyman » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:19 am

Damn, we agree on something, matt. Todd Rundgren is one of the most underrated songwriters ever. The entire "Something, Anything" set was a masterpiece. "It wouldn't have made any difference", "Cold Morning Light', "Couldn't I just tell you" were classics along with "Hello, it's Me" and "I saw the Light".

My favorite Rundgren tune was "We Gotta Get you a Woman". The line, "They may be stupid, but they sure are fun," is one of the best he ever wrote, and that's saying a lot.

The censorship king from out of state.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:02 am

The song "We Gotta Get You A Woman" in the first line "Leroy boy, is that you"!! The 2004 "Liars" is one hell of a CD!! Canadian singer Tom Middleton did the remake of "It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference" back in 1973 on Columbia heard back then on AM 630 CFCO in Chatham, Ontario when it was a "Classic Gold" station back then!! The first song on side 1 from the 1974 album "Todd" reminds me of Pink Floyd's "On The Run" (from their 1973 classic "The Dark Side Of The Moon"!!

matt1

Post by matt1 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:25 am

Also Todd produced the song "Baby Blue" for Badfinger (the late Peter Ham on vocals) from 1972 (which is my favorite Badfinger song) & Flint, MI own Grand Funk Railroad 1973 album "We're An American Band" & 1974 "Shinin' On".

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:38 am

He produced "Bat out of Hell" for Meat Loaf too, another fantastic piece of music.

Todd was waaaaay ahead of his time. I think he was 21 or 22 when he came up with Something/Anything. Check out the chord progression on "Hello it's Me", which I believe was the first song he ever wrote.

Your post made me go back and listen to some of his music. Amazing how well it still holds up and how great it still sounds.

The censorship king from out of state.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:27 am

I've become a fan of the now erstwhile band XTC and the songwriting prowess of its principals Andy Partridge and Colin Moulding. Todd Rundgren produced what may be the band's masterpiece album Skylarking. Apparently Partridge and Rundgren didn't see eye-to-eye on a multitude of things and the partnership ended right there. It's unfortunate because the album is a truly superb example of modern pop production.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

matt1

Post by matt1 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:03 pm

Canadian singer Tom Middleton "It Wouldv'e Have Made Any Difference" (remake of the Todd Rundgren 1972 song) (from 1973) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZWnNN8DfNY

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:00 pm

Either Piss Aaron (which Matt already mentioned) or You Left Me Sore (the latter is about V.D.) (both from Something, Anything?)

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic