Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

DId your parents ever not let you listen to certain kinds of music growing up?

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
Deleted User 14990

DId your parents ever not let you listen to certain kinds of music growing up?

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:27 pm

I never experienced this myself, I never listened or liked Rap, which, most of the albums contain profanity. Now, obviously enough rock albums do too. I remember buying 311's Blue Album and it having a PA sticker on it and Green Day's Dookie, although some album's didn't carry one like Live's "Throwing Copper" .

Now, a now former friend of mine grew up in a Religious Catholic home. I'm told, His Mother overheard him playing Green day's song "Longview" where it talks about Masturbation. Well.. he got that Cassette tape(or CD) taken away. This probably explains his issues he has today(which I have not spoken to him in years), but that's another story.

Anyway, were you not allowed to listen to certain music? The only think I remember not being allowed to watch on TV, was Married with Children and one other FOX show( say like being 9 or 10).

stopnswop2

Re: DId your parents ever not let you listen to certain kinds of music growing up?

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:35 pm

My parents strictly made me listen to WNIC and WOMC in the 90s,
Then when I got into 5th grade the bus drive would put on Q955 and 93-1 DRQ.
They couldn't stop me then. Lol

Music is my life.

tapeisrolling

Re: DId your parents ever not let you listen to certain kinds of music growing up?

Post by tapeisrolling » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:33 pm

Back about '57 my Dad told my sister, who was listening to CKLW, to "turn that crap off!" She just went to her room to listen to it. What do you expect from a guy who once played for Lawrence Welk.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:22 pm

I had a Cherry Vinyl 10" single of Dead Kennedy's Too Drunk to Fuck that I bought from School Kids when I was 15. It was taken away. Compared to some of the other stuff I had at the time, it was pretty tame.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:43 pm

I had an uphill battle and won. For a long time I wasn't allowed to by cassettes with parental advisory explicit lyrics labels on them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic