Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ozzy retires from touring

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
matt1

Ozzy retires from touring

Post by matt1 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:55 am

Back in 1992, Ozzy sang "No More Tears" during his "No More Tours" BUT nearly 31 years later, he is going to quit touring BUT NOT singing & releasing new stuff. https://www.newsmax.com/thewire/ozzy-os ... d/1106834/

Turkeytop

TMZ Alert

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:50 pm

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

matt1

Re: Ozzy retires from touring

Post by matt1 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:55 am

Story in "Rolling Stone" magazine website: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... 234672031/ NOW are you happy Turkeytop?? Rolling Stone magazine as well as "TMZ" do SUCK!!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:05 am

Ozzy is the man, and I'm proud to say I saw Black Sabbath's first reunion tour in Grand Rapids. I am pretty sure that show occurred in February 1998.

It was a bizarre day; it was sunny for much of the day and nearly reached 70 degrees (despite a pretty good snow pack still existing at the start of the day). Then, as we were driving to the concert, a squall line of thunderstorms rolled through and it rained like hell. We knew it was coming; storm warnings were in effect. We didn't let that stop us.

The line up consisted of Deftones, Pantera (Phil was drunk off his ass, but they still offered a good set - although I would've preferred a few more songs), and Sabbath.

The building was nearly empty when the Deftones played, either because of the weather or because the hardcore metal fans didn't give two shits about "nu metal." By the time Pantera took the stage, Van Andel arena was at capacity. Not an empty seat to be found.

Perhaps to cater to the middle aged crowd who grew up listening to Sabbath, there was no mosh pit. The entire floor of Van Andel Arena was covered with padded seats.

Ozzy was quite the character; at one point he complimented a middle aged lady near the stage who flashed him ("hey - you've got nice tits!"). A few songs later he mooned the crowd - and made sure the videographer got a good shot of his ass.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:58 pm

An end of an era in rock music. Best of luck Ozzy.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:49 pm

The fact that Ozzy didn't bite it between 1976 and 1980 is a miracle in and of itself.

And no. That isn't a pun.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Realist

Post by Realist » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:46 am

Saw Ozzy at, of all places, the Dow Event Center in Saginaw. I believe it was an incarnation of OzzFest at the time. Wasn’t a bad show…

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:46 pm

He used to play a lot of small / medium sized venues back in the day.

I know he played Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo in the mid 90s.

I even saw online that he played the old Welsh Auditorium in downtown Grand Rapids in 1981. That set list only consisted of 8 songs (about 4 of which were Black Sabbath songs), so perhaps he wasn't even the headliner.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:42 pm

Acts in general used to play more small/medium sized venues in smaller markets, Toledo used to get many more concerts at the old Sports Arena even though it was a non-air conditioned dump than it does at the modern Huntington Center. Around 2000 or so the industry figured out more money was to be made running fewer shows in bigger markets for higher prices to increase demand.

I did see Ozzfest in 2002, Ozzy put on a good enough show although he was limited even then. He was in the middle of the resurgence he had then thanks to the Sabbath reunion and then his reality show, so it was a big crowd at the outdoor venue in south suburban Chicago that was called the Tweeter Center then, it's had a ton of different names over the years. Phil Anselmo was there too on the second stage but not with Pantera, it was with some side project. He was also fucking shitfaced drunk when I saw him, could barely stand up and was messing with the middle aged security guard. Kind of embarrassing actually.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:56 pm

Might've been "Down" on that second stage. A pretty damn good band in its own right.

I think a lot of people have been embarrassed by Phil's antics at times.

You're absolutely right about that small venues thing. I remember commercials for major rock shows at L.C. Walker Arena in Muskegon. (The fact the only indoor venue in Grand Rapids of equal size with a liquor license was a total dump helped Walker Arena land shows undoubtedly.)

Ticket prices were generally affordable 20 or 30 years ago. A show that cost $25 or $35 then probably has a ticket face value of $75 or $100 now. I've seen floor seats for some rock concerts list at $200 or $300 retail (I'm not even talking full day festivals, just a regular concert). That is appallingly expensive, in my opinion.

kager

Post by kager » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:08 am

Back in the day, the rumour was that Ozzy was biting the heads off of live bats and spitting them out into the audience during his shows.

Ozzy & company played Castle Farms Music Theatre in Charlevoix during the 'Diary of a Madman' tour Memorial Day weekend 1982, just months after his star lead guitar player (and - arguably - main reason for his then 'comeback'), Randy Rhoads, had died in a freak plane crash in Florida.

For anyone interested, here's the setlist from that show at The Castle.

What a difference 4 decades makes, eh?

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic