Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Must See 5G TV

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
A1B1C1D1

Must See 5G TV

Post by A1B1C1D1 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:12 pm

Ok I never knew people watch live football at a football game! But I certainly see people listening to hockey play-by-play with ear pieces. As crowded as it gets probably a third of goals scored I see the fans reactions to know and have to wait for the replay. Perhaps in the nosebleed NFL seats (fewer and fewer, now it's not a bad seat in the house) you could miss a scoring drive.

https://cordcuttersnews.com/for-the-fir ... val/?amp=1

SolarMax

Re: Must See 5G TV

Post by SolarMax » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:39 pm

Unless they're watching monitors showing an in-house video feed, people in the stadium can't see or hear "real time" live gamecasting like they used to, when you could sit in the bleachers and have Ernie in your ear with a pocket radio. Any OTA broadcast signal, whether video delivered in ATSC digital or 5G, or audio via AM or FM, is going to be delayed by a few seconds at very least, and possibly up to a few minutes. Video delays due to latency in multiple levels of digital processing, and radio usually due to one or more layers of 7-second blooper delays.
Nothing we see and hear over the air is actually, instantly "live as it happens."

The use of 5G tech to deliver video programming as talked about in this article has been touted as a Future Feature for a long time. I don't see it being just around the corner.
Similarly, broadcast TV ATSC 3.0 can also be delivered using multiple on-channel, same-frequency transmitter sites at low elevations and low power, similar to cellular, also still in test and evaluation.

bmw

Re: Must See 5G TV

Post by bmw » Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:28 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:39 pm
people in the stadium can't see or hear "real time" live gamecasting like they used to, when you could sit in the bleachers and have Ernie in your ear with a pocket radio. Any OTA broadcast signal, whether video delivered in ATSC digital or 5G, or audio via AM or FM, is going to be delayed by a few seconds at very least
I went to a Lions game in either 2000 or 2001 at the Silverdome, and had seats literally in the TOP row of the entire stadium. I had a portable radio/headphones and was listening to parts of the game on them, and I remember thinking how bizarre it was when the refs would speak that I would hear them on the radio BEFORE hearing them with my own ears due to how long it took the sound to travel.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic