Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

AM radio stations that are on thin ice

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
Marcus

AM radio stations that are on thin ice

Post by Marcus » Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:29 pm

Right now I am going to add 1070 WTSO Madison to that list. That market just has slightly more than 600,000 people and the latest rating is a 0.2

Even going back a few months, they were below a 1.0

They are also not the only all Sports radio station there.

CurlyHoward

Re: AM radio stations that are on thin ice

Post by CurlyHoward » Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:26 pm

1230 WCWA Toledo meets much of the same criteria. Mostly syndicated national sports or gambling talk when they're not running Toledo minor league sports (which has a miniscule radio audience). They rarely break a 0.6 and are also not the only sports station in a market of 500K.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:41 pm

Here in Detroit, 1270 WXYT and 1130 WDFN maybe share a tenth of a share. The only ones really worth keeping around here are WJR and WWJ.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:29 pm

I predict KGO in San Francisco to be on thin ice soon, now that they adopted an all-gambling, no-local format.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:18 pm

Unless the FCC addresses the too low power FM translator situation for AMs, I doubt if you'll see many 50000 watt AMs disappear. If they turn in their license now, they won't be able to benefit from any new replacement rules. Mexico has addressed this by allowing STATIONS every 400 kHz in the same general area to replace AM stations, and other nations have also. Most newer radios can handle 400 kHz spacing well. They could allow more power and station status for translators, convert them to stations, and have a maximum number of people in a theoretical interference area like the NCE FM Channel 6 rules, and the Raleigh Waiver. 250 watt translators only really work well as a replacement for stations 1000 watts or less in small to medium size towns. The FCC has shown no interest in expanding the FM Band, because of spectrum pressure. They have already ruined OTA TV with much smaller service areas, many fewer channels, and having to have as many fill in translators as stations in many areas. AM has been ruined by allowing too many electronic noisemakers and no FCC restrictions that would help. Part 15 doesn't address these in any credible way. And translators also limit the former de facto service areas of FM stations in nearby markets.

Streaming and satellite have limitations also, and are really unreliable substitutes for radio.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Deleted User 15905

Post by Deleted User 15905 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:16 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:41 pm
Here in Detroit, 1270 WXYT and 1130 WDFN maybe share a tenth of a share. The only ones really worth keeping around here are WJR and WWJ.
The first AM’s to go silent in Detroit will be WCXI and WPON. Is WCAR broadcasting anymore?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:36 pm

ultrakilocycle wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:16 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:41 pm
The first AM’s to go silent in Detroit will be WCXI and WPON. Is WCAR broadcasting anymore?
I believe so. Birach? As long as the checks are on his desk, they'll keep broadcasting.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:33 pm

Is WABJ 1490 Adrian back on the air? They went silent in the summer of 2021 due to financial issues but I see an FCC filing from this past July for resumption of services. The silent period may have been enough to get them out of thin ice, but it's an AM graveyard frequency with no FM translator and format duplication from Detroit and Toledo.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:58 pm

750 WOUF - have they been on the air at all in the past few years? Also no translator
1220 WBCH - had a CP for a translator, let it expire without extension

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:17 pm

WOUF 750 has been on within the last year, with an hour long music tape loop with a top of the hour ID, totally legal. Went on for several months. Both WOUF and WJML would be good for pairing with a translator, because they both have decent 2 mV/m signals that get out more than 25 miles, allowing more flexibility in translator sites and higher HAAT.

Traverse City's biggest proponent on this board seems to have a problem with the POLITICS of some station formats, which he associates with AM stations. The last I checked, the US still has a First Amendment, and the FCC does not dictate formats like Canada and other countries.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:38 am

I thought I had heard something about WOUF 750 relaying Roy's "Memories FM" format. Did that ever happen?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic