Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WINS 92.3 is here

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
Deleted User 15835

WINS 92.3 is here

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:12 pm

Mega Hertz

Re: WINS 92.3 is here

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:40 pm

I streamed it as it was happening. Sucks to see it go; if Mike Kaplan got his head out of his ass, the format could have really been something.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:13 pm

Fans of alternative rock on FM radio can thank Mike Kaplan for ruining the chance of it ever reappearing in the Big Apple.

He did just a miserable job of programming WNYL - and produced such terrible ratings - that probably any other major owner will be completely deterred from trying the format for years and years to come.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:46 pm

When does 98.7 become WWJ?

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:22 pm

WWJ doesn't need FM radio to help its signal out during the times of day when traffic volume is at its highest. After people get home they generally turn to the TV, Smartphone, or PC if they want weather or news updates. I would expect evening and overnight listening to WWJ to be much lower than during the time frame from about breakfast time up until just before dinner.

NYC has many weak spots when it comes to AM reception which is why there are two Sports stations and now an All News on FM.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:51 am

Riff Raff wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:46 pm
When does 98.7 become WWJ?
Unless ratings significantly improve, I imagine within the next 6-12 months.

Audacy has been putting their All Newsers on FM, and IIRC, only WWJ, WCBS-AM, and KRLD remain AM only for them.

It’s only a matter of “when” for WWJ and if Audacy picks up a stick to do it or if Alt gets the axe.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:50 am

WWJ doesn't need FM radio to help its signal out during the times of day when traffic volume is at its highest. After people get home they generally turn to the TV, Smartphone, or PC if they want weather or news updates. I would expect evening and overnight listening to WWJ to be much lower than during the time frame from about breakfast time up until just before dinner.
There are stretches of busy roadway where electrical interference makes a mess of 950's signal (and every other AM station) at all times of day.

WWJ's signal also stinks in the pre-dawn and post-dusk hours in the far western and far eastern suburbs / ex-burbs. You may not realize this, but there's often a lot of traffic on Metro Detroit area roadways as early as 6a in the morning, and the people on the road at that time of day are often driving in from outlying areas. Right now, sunrise happens around 7:45a in the morning.

Finally, irrespective of signal strength, there is a big segment of the population that uses FM radio but never tunes into AM radio for any reason --- ever. My parents who are in their mid 60s listen to FM radio exclusively and don't even know how to flip between the FM band and AM band in the car.

You are correct that WWJ's listening is much, much lower during the evening and overnight. That's true of virtually every radio station but is especially true for all news and news/talk stations.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:56 am

Studies have shown the opposite MW, the AM button on the radio is used as the NEWS Button.

Moving to News to FM and putting sports/betting on the AM, has proven disastrous for revenue. Even allowing long transition times to get used to the FM most commuters just continued to push the AM button. The loss of revenue for losing a Music format on the FM was not replaced by sports on the AM.

Your sample size is bit small, LOL. My AM button is easy to find on the car's HD radio.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:09 am

Vast majority of folks under the age of 50 never, ever tune to the AM band for any reason.

AM station revenue has tanked because its audience has gotten smaller and older over time. The tanking of revenue isn't just limited to the AM band. of course. When holding dollars constant for inflation, AM/FM radio's aggregate revenue per annum has fallen by about 70 percent over the past two decades.

The move of successful AM spoken word brands to the FM dial primarily has occurred as a defensive maneuver (i.e. to minimize "aging out" of a station's audience or to prevent lucrative programming from being snatched by a competing station), and in some cases, there's been an "open" FM whose existing programming has become disposable. Leaving such programming on AM exclusively sometimes tempts fate. See WLS in Chicago and KGO in San Francisco.

WIBC in Indianapolis, WSB in Atlanta, WTOP in Washington, KCBS in San Francisco and others have all made successful transitions to FM or have successfully added FM simulcasts.

BTW, major league sports franchises in increasing number are demanding that their flagship station be an FM. Vast majority of NFL teams have an FM station for a flagship. The Lions, of course, moved back to 97.1 FM recently after a poor run at 760 WJR, the Bears are soon moving to FM in Chicago, and the Dolphins are about to return to Big 105.9 in Miami after about five years on 560 WQAM. NBA and NHL teams in increasing number also have FM flagships. Why do you think Cumulus blew up a music format on 104.5 in San Francisco to add an FM simulcast of KNBR (rhetorical question)? They did it because they knew they'd be putting valuable play-by-play rights at risk if they didn't do so.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:42 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:09 am
Vast majority of folks under the age of 50 never, ever tune to the AM band for any reason.

AM station revenue has tanked because its audience has gotten smaller and older over time. The tanking of revenue isn't just limited to the AM band. of course. When holding dollars constant for inflation, AM/FM radio's aggregate revenue per annum has fallen by about 70 percent over the past two decades.

The move of successful AM spoken word brands to the FM dial primarily has occurred as a defensive maneuver (i.e. to minimize "aging out" of a station's audience or to prevent lucrative programming from being snatched by a competing station), and in some cases, there's been an "open" FM whose existing programming has become disposable. Leaving such programming on AM exclusively sometimes tempts fate. See WLS in Chicago and KGO in San Francisco.

WIBC in Indianapolis, WSB in Atlanta, WTOP in Washington, KCBS in San Francisco and others have all made successful transitions to FM or have successfully added FM simulcasts.

BTW, major league sports franchises in increasing number are demanding that their flagship station be an FM. Vast majority of NFL teams have an FM station for a flagship. The Lions, of course, moved back to 97.1 FM recently after a poor run at 760 WJR, the Bears are soon moving to FM in Chicago, and the Dolphins are about to return to Big 105.9 in Miami after about five years on 560 WQAM. NBA and NHL teams in increasing number also have FM flagships. Why do you think Cumulus blew up a music format on 104.5 in San Francisco to add an FM simulcast of KNBR (rhetorical question)? They did it because they knew they'd be putting valuable play-by-play rights at risk if they didn't do so.
This is my point, why I think WWJ WILL go to the FM soon. No one under 50 bothers much with the AM dial. I'm 42, almost 43. The AM dial to me has always been baseball games, Right wing talk radio, and religion.

Growing up in Monroe County Michigan, I do remember my Dad listening to WJR a lot and 1470am The Ticket. It was always something with sports, as he pretty apoltical. For him, the same repetitive Oldies and Classic rock music got old real quick, plus by the late 80s, he just really didn't get pop music anymore(hated rap with a passion), as I really don't either now.

Today, it makes sense to have News/Talk, Sports, and News on The FM as AM in many cases just sounds like mud.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:14 pm

Some sports teams are even forgetting FM and exclusively going audio streaming and apps.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic