Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bell Media shutters TSN Radio in Vancouver, Winnipeg and Hamilton

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.

Calvert DeForest

Re: Bell Media shutters TSN Radio in Vancouver, Winnipeg and Hamilton

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:17 am

And for a Comedy format? :rolleyes

That's been tried, and everywhere it's been tried, it's died.

Sports is a tried and true format that has a proven audience. Why would they ditch it for a something with a dismal track record at best. Makes no sense. I give it six months before they switch back.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

fairbankshockeypuck

Post by fairbankshockeypuck » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:34 am

Six months...gives them an easy back in if the teams can return to normal...full seasons...fans in the stands...etcc...

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:40 am

It looks like most employees were surprised about the news, even asking "What news?". That's very bad, and I agree that comedy won't increase ratings. Comedy probably only works on satellite radio.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:29 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:17 am
And for a Comedy format? :rolleyes

That's been tried, and everywhere it's been tried, it's died.
One that literally died was the first "Funny" station, London's CKSL -- it was the very first station to carry a comedy format in Canada in 2011, after flipping from Oldies. It ceased operations almost 5 years later in 2016, due to poor ratings and expensive-to-replace equipment on an undesirable frequency:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CKSL

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:05 pm

As of right now, Sunday afternoon. The Hamilton station identifies itself as CKOC Bloomberg Radio. But their actual programming is FOX Sports.

Edit: It's now mid-morning on Monday. They're just playing recorded music. Jazzy. Now if they would only adopt that as a format, I'd be a listener.

Edit: Monday afternoon. Jazzy music interspersed with Public Service Announcements and interviews with beople on a variety of subjects, not necessarily related to business. No paid advertising.

Doesn't seem like a sustainable business model.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:33 pm

It appears that CKOC has now completed the switch to Bloomberg. That's an improvement. I have zero interest in sports radio. I always listen to Bloomberg when I'm in Florida but, up until now, it hasn't been available in Canada.

I think it may be successful for them. CKOC get's into the Toronto market. There's a large potential audience there.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:50 pm

CKOC drew abysmal numbers, at times lower than CHAM, the automated comedy station. They were more successful with an oldies format, although with an older audience.

If there isn’t anything local, this is another throwaway station. I can’t recall how well the station is received in Toronto; even AM740 is mostly wiped out in the heart of downtown.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:31 pm

Been listening to Bloomberg for a few days now and I have only one complaint. Just when you're interested in an item, they cut away to an ad. I know they need advertising to pay the bills, but they should wait for the end of the story before cutting away. When the ad is over, they don't return to the item. They just start in the middle of the next one.

Actually, I have two complaints. The second one is that there's no on to complain to. Their website doesn't give any contact information. No address, no telephone number, no e mail address.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:45 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:31 pm
Been listening to Bloomberg for a few days now and I have only one complaint. Just when you're interested in an item, they cut away to an ad. I know they need advertising to pay the bills, but they should wait for the end of the story before cutting away. When the ad is over, they don't return to the item. They just start in the middle of the next one.
Maybe their automation was still set up for the previous format?
Turkeytop wrote:
Actually, I have two complaints. The second one is that there's no on to complain to. Their website doesn't give any contact information. No address, no telephone number, no e mail address.
Doesn't Bell Media's corporate website have any information?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:53 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:45 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Maybe their automation was still set up for the previous format?
Turkeytop wrote:
Doesn't Bell Media's corporate website have any information?

On the Bell Media web site there is a contact us button. When you click on it it opens up and asks what kind of advertizing campaign you want to run, in what markets and on what platform?

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:21 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:53 pm
On the Bell Media web site there is a contact us button. When you click on it it opens up and asks what kind of advertizing campaign you want to run, in what markets and on what platform?
In other words, Bell cares more about its advertisers and they don't give a damn about its listeners. Remember that the next time you pay Bell Canada for their phone or TV bill.

The only other alternative would be to search Google, but knowing Bell's demeanor, any contact info there would also have disappeared.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:56 pm

Turkeytop wrote:

I had it on today and it seems like they may be getting it together. I didn't hear them breaking away from the program to run ads. They insert them into the breaks in programming that are intended for ads.

But sometimes when they return, the next item is already in progress. I suppose that is a positive sign. They're selling lots of ads. It bodes well for their success. And they aren't all local ads. They've had ads for Telus, Tim Horton's and OLG. They even had an ad for an out of town car dealer.

I'm encouraged. I want them to succeed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic