Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

America's Truckin Network cancelled

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
zzand

America's Truckin Network cancelled

Post by zzand » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:29 am

After 36 years iHeart cancelled America's Truckin Network on WLW in Cincinnati. Steve Sommers, who took over for his dad and original host The Truckin Bozo was shown the door Friday. This is a true shame as it was an iconic show that truckers listened to nationwide on the air and on the IHeart app. Sommers was a calm voice in the middle of the night talking to truckers and people like me who tuned in on the way to our own radio stations to start the day. He was a fixture at Truck shows and hosted a yearly truckers cruse. As a listener this makes no sense, spot load was good with sponsors related to trucking, all of whom are gone, at least I haven't heard them this week. Hopefully another station will pick up Sommers and the show.

Deleted User 4520

Re: America's Truckin Network cancelled

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:23 pm

Man this is terrible news. I tuned in quite often on WLW. I listened to his dad and Steve took over and I listened to him. Definitely had some interesting insights in the trucking world and other interesting conversations. What's going in that overnight slot?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:41 am

I bet it shows up on XM.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

zzand

Post by zzand » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:37 am

Force, it is just an overnight call in show now with someone who is cheaper to pay than Steve. Satellite would make sense but I am not sure how many semi trucks have access to it. newer ones sure, but there are a lot of older trucks on the road.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:43 am

Didn't WJR carry something like this?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

zzand

Post by zzand » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:15 am

I know there are a couple of Truckers shows out there but WLW had such a H*** reach with their signal and the 36 years of doing it that they were the number one show. It need a big clear channel AM freq to be useful.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:42 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:43 am
They used to carry WBAP's overnight show in the mid nineties, along with one or two more Class A blowtorches.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:49 pm

zzand wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:37 am
Force, it is just an overnight call in show now with someone who is cheaper to pay than Steve. Satellite would make sense but I am not sure how many semi trucks have access to it. newer ones sure, but there are a lot of older trucks on the road.
Every TA, Pilot, and Love's sells satellite radios. They don't really need to be "installed" - Just plug it into the cigarette lighter socket, place the magnet-mount antenna on the cab, you're all set.

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:31 am

Sad to hear about America's Truckin' Network. Apparently Mr. Sommers wasn't alone in being sacked at iHeart:

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2007 ... eartmedia/

WLW's website, which is mostly out-of-date regarding ATN, lists a show hosted by Dan Carroll in the ATN timeslot. Haven't tuned in since Sommers' dismissal.
TC Talks wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:43 am
WJR still does. You're probably thinking of the Midnight Trucking Radio Network, later called the Midnight Radio Network, which was merged into today's Red Eye Radio.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:21 pm

I heard the overnight show on WLW last week. Very political, with mostly conservative truckers calling.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:11 am

I still tune in as I am driving to my station every morning. Dan does a good job. He does have a connection to ATN as he was Truckin Bozo's news reader. He still does some truck industry news and the truckers are still there listening and calling in. It's not the same but it's not bad. Hopefully Steve shows up elsewhere soon.

G G

Post by G G » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:05 am

Does this haveanythng to do with the Midnight Trucking Radio Network/Red Eye Radio?

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

zzand

Post by zzand » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:19 am

Not at all. 2 different shows

G G

Post by G G » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:21 am

Good

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic