Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Pirate radio station in Seattle?

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
BFSEsq

Pirate radio station in Seattle?

Post by BFSEsq » Fri May 15, 2020 12:10 am

I know absolutely nothing about this, or about radio in the Seattle area for that matter, but I ran across this guy talking about this fascinating radio mystery in the Seattle area and figured you guys would like it. This was originally all a long series of individual tweets, but I used a service that puts all of them on one page.
https://threader.app/thread/1260429759999344641
Isn't that cool? He knows a lot of details about radio, too, it seems. I mean, we can't exactly hear a sample of this station but I guess I'm curious if anyone has any ideas on what could possibly create this weird, low power, seemingly pirate signal.

CK-722

You Never Heard Of A Talking House?

Post by CK-722 » Fri May 15, 2020 9:57 am

In suburban Detroit about 1994, some kid reprogrammed a "Talking House", used by a Realtor to tell details about a house they had listed. It was on 1610 kHz, and had a range of 1-2 miles. He had some kind of grudge against a former friend, and recorded a diatribe about him breaking up with his girlfriend. He called him a "Loser" and then played part of the chorus to "Loser" by Beck on the recorded loop, seems like it was about two minutes.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

UP906

Re: Pirate radio station in Seattle?

Post by UP906 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:56 pm

Possible numbers station?

Thread Killer

BFSEsq

Re: You Never Heard Of A Talking House?

Post by BFSEsq » Sun May 17, 2020 11:53 pm

That is just amazing. Would be great to find this audio clip. Haha! And actually, no, I haven't heard of a Talking House. Didn't know realtors used local radio broadcasts like that.

As for a numbers station... I kinda doubt it's THAT clandestine.

Dr. Sandi

Post by Dr. Sandi » Tue May 26, 2020 7:55 pm

Most of the FM pirates have given up in Seattle. There are so many LPFM and translator signals jammed in that there's no open space left on the band. There used to be a very active crew of brigands and cutthroats popping up across the band around The Sound. But now that the FCC has mined the radio harbor with licensed pea shooters, not so much.

It's hard to be heard over the HD sidebands of the 1st adjacent channel Class C, so even squatting on a 'quiet spot' is a hopeless enterprise. And all of the second and third adjacents already have a full power from Vancouver or Victoria on them.

The nearly famous pirates on my south end of the Puget Sound also seem to have just given up. There just aren't any channels left. And trying to overpower another station only works for a few blocks with a home pirate setup. I kind of miss them, they did interesting if expletive laden broadcasting.

All of the pirates have given up radio and gone into banking, I think.

GenX lives at SuperCFL 94.5 HD4 Olympia - Streaming at http://supercfl.ddns.net:20110

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Wed May 27, 2020 8:05 pm

I remember a pirate station in the mid 90’s on 94.3 from Warren.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic